Our offense has issues

I know the popular opinion is to say the EJ sucks and that he's the reason for the offensive struggles but this video clip shows that there's some serious confusion on the offensive side of the ball.

I'd love to know what the play was supposed to be:

https://vine.co/v/hQFiE7VX2v0

I will go with the 9 guys who thought it was a pass versus the 2 WR who thought it was a run.

I see a HB/TE coming out of the backfield and he gets tripped up (I think it's #40)...is that Wingo? Maybe EJ was locking on him, saw that he fell and couldn't get to a secondary receiver. Either way, #40 was covered by two LB's. I never noticed it before (when looking at this clip) but I don't think the WR's were the target...I think #40 was the primary.

I see a HB/TE coming out of the backfield and he gets tripped up (I think it's #40)...is that Wingo? Maybe EJ was locking on him, saw that he fell and couldn't get to a secondary receiver. Either way, #40 was covered by two LB's. I never noticed it before (when looking at this clip) but I don't think the WR's were the target...I think #40 was the primary.

Looks like it. Two wideouts weren't even trying to get open, just tap dancing/jogging around and well covered.

Defense was clearly reading screen as to linebackers backed off as well.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I don't recall the play as I was watching other (better) games, but the Bills O definitely has issues (besides the QB) that will prevent it from being a top unit. Namely a lack of elite WR's that strike fear into the hearts of DB's and a legit TE matchup problem for defenses. Until we get a Brandon Marshall type WR that can outmuscle and outphysical DB's ( Da'rick might have been that guy and was worth keeping around vs a Graham or that 7-11 guy) we will struggle in the passing game. We are pretty much limited to go routes and outs to the sidelines. No one on this WR corps does any damage in the middle of the field where the matchups can be exploited. All our WR's are pretty much the same guy, except maybe Goodwin who has speed and hands. It's too easy to take that away when you are not worried about the middle of the field. We need game changers at that position. Keep Goodwin, Woods, maybe find out what Easley can do as he is our biggest WR. Jettison all others and overhaul this underperforming unit.

Or...they didn't know what was going on because the QB did a ****ty job communicating?

I'm confused as to who OP is trying to blame here...

Your assumption that I'm trying to blame anyone is incorrect. In the end, EJ will get the blame because of the nature of the QB position but this debacle of a play clearly shows there are issues. When 3/4 of the team is executing what looks like a pass or screen and two WR's don't bother to run actual routes there's a massive communication or understanding breakdown.

Without knowing the actual play call it's impossible to say who f'd it up.

I know the popular opinion is to say the EJ sucks and that he's the reason for the offensive struggles but this video clip shows that there's some serious confusion on the offensive side of the ball.

That is actually comical in its idiocy. Even if the WRs thought it was a run, wouldn't they make an attempt to lure the CBs away from the center of the action ? This one play is probably symptomatic of the overall O in general. Looks way too sloppy and uncoordinated.

Your assumption that I'm trying to blame anyone is incorrect. In the end, EJ will get the blame because of the nature of the QB position but this debacle of a play clearly shows there are issues. When 3/4 of the team is executing what looks like a pass or screen and two WR's don't bother to run actual routes there's a massive communication or understanding breakdown.

Without knowing the actual play call it's impossible to say who f'd it up.

Fine, but the assumption that there are systematic issues based on one blown play seems egregious then.

the backfield motion - the upback hitting the B gap as if to block, and the fake handoff to the tailback - was meant to pull the LBs into defend the handoff as the upback cleared to the flat to receive the swing pass, where the WR was breaking down to block the DB.

unfortunately, the RDE took an inside rush, the upback got tangled up with him, and EJ was left with no other options because the back-side WR wasn't being used as a safety valve.

Edited by BackInDaDay

I will go with the 9 guys who thought it was a pass versus the 2 WR who thought it was a run.

Lol.

Fine, but the assumption that there are systematic issues based on one blown play seems egregious then.

Hardly one play -- https://vine.co/v/hQUXFYnarhQ .

Another Woods play -- https://vine.co/v/hQUtnj6VgJm

"As Revis closes in, Woods is still running straight up the field and into the zone. There's a window on the other side of the field as Stevie Johnson is available at the 30. It's a tough throw, but I think it's there. Woods never turns. He's been uncovered for a full 10 yards, but there's no adjustment to be made on that play? If Manuel throws the ball to Woods, as the route is originally designed, he's at risk of the DB that's dropped into the zone jumping it. Robert Woods is essentially covered here, by choice. You want to throw it where they ain't, right? Well Woods runs directly into the defense from a previously uncovered spot. I don't know if it's on him, or the offensive design to build in a better plan. These vertical routes here are something that you'll see in lots of offenses (obviously), but for me, this looks like the first Jets loss. Manuel was under attack and frequently the offense didn't seem to have an answer. Sometimes he misses throws...but other times you feel like the design might hang him out to dry."

Edited by dave mcbride

Lol.

"As Revis closes in, Woods is still running straight up the field and into the zone. There's a window on the other side of the field as Stevie Johnson is available at the 30. It's a tough throw, but I think it's there. Woods never turns. He's been uncovered for a full 10 yards, but there's no adjustment to be made on that play? If Manuel throws the ball to Woods, as the route is originally designed, he's at risk of the DB that's dropped into the zone jumping it. Robert Woods is essentially covered here, by choice. You want to throw it where they ain't, right? Well Woods runs directly into the defense from a previously uncovered spot. I don't know if it's on him, or the offensive design to build in a better plan. These vertical routes here are something that you'll see in lots of offenses (obviously), but for me, this looks like the first Jets loss. Manuel was under attack and frequently the offense didn't seem to have an answer. Sometimes he misses throws...but other times you feel like the design might hang him out to dry."

"hardly one play" - the WR should have ran a deeper route with a sense of urgency. he ran a lazy pattern too close to the posted up slot man

"another wood play" - the D rushed 2 down linemen, an LB from their left, and the delayed CB blitz. both the TE and slot receiver ran into deep zone coverage. one of them - i'm thinking the slot man - should have broken his route off when the CB crossed his face to blitz

Edited by BackInDaDay

Too many rookies/2nd year players on this offense.

Combine that with a whole new system from a rookie OC, and a rookie head coach. A rookie QB that missed lots of training camp, and a bunch of games in the middle of the season (and a few games with inexperienced backups). Plus they are playing on the road, a week after having any playoff hopes evaporate. I'm not the least bit surprised that they looked like poo.

I know they sucked, but it takes a while to get an offense working like a machine. I'm not ready to write them all off.

Lol.

"hardly one play" - the WR should have ran a deeper route with a sense of urgency. he ran a lazy pattern too close to the posted up slot man

"another wood play" - the D rushed 2 down linemen, an LB from their left, and the delayed CB blitz. both the TE and slot receiver ran into deep zone coverage. one of them - i'm thinking the slot man - should have broken his route off when the CB crossed his face to blitz

Fair enough.

Great teams are built from the trenches back. An OG, LT and the best tight end available. I think those should be the top three priorities. Of course there are a number of interesting qb's available if we want to double down on our ability to pick a franchise qb. I would think that would be a bit early in EJ's experience to give up on him and getting him offensive line and a tight end to complement him would be a great idea.