Accountability

vegas55

One of Marrone's favorite buzzwords - accountability. But it's becoming clear that Bills players are not really grasping the concept. It's no surprise that Stevie does not hold himself accountable " that dropped pass (alligator armed, caused interception), happened early, so it doesn't really matter". But Eric Woods statement on poor O line play "down 21-3 in second quarter, no O line can play well in those circumstances" was a shocker. Talk about a lack of accountability. Hey Eric, you were only down 14-3 for the vast majority of 2nd quarter. And even if the defense is teeing off to rush the passer with a big lead, it does not explain your inability to run block or your dumb motion penalties. Be accountable; lame excuses are for losers.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

The hot weather, the referees, injuries, the Atlantic game. I!ve heard them all cin 14 years.

There is even a new one now. Eric Wood saying the Offensive Line was so bad because

they were losing. This latest pathetic performance starts from the top down.

The head man now Brandon

The GM Whaley

The head coach Marrone

The OC Hackett

The QB Manuel and the rest of the players.

Where is the accountabiltiy? When McKelvin fumbled the punt why was he not relieved

of that job? You mean not one of the other 52 players on the field could catch a punt?

Then he fumbled again. If Marrone could not show the team that if you don!t perform,

you don!t play, there really is no hope.

Remember the New England game when Ridly fumbled on the running play.

You know what Belicheck did then, don!t you.

Same old, same old, another coach, another QB in a few years, thats how long

it will take for the coach, his OC, and his QB to be held accountable.

I think you are only partially right. Accountability is a must. If you heard Gannon go off on the Raiders on Sirius, I know where you're coming from. However, I disagree with the top-on-down mentality. Ultimately the accountability rests solely on the players on the field. If they play badly, then it is because of their lack of effort, focus and preparedness. If they false start is it the Owner's fault? When they allow 80 yard runs is it the GM's fault? The answer to each is a clear NO. It is the player or players on the field that screw-up and lose games.

That said, it IS the responsibility of the coaches and managers to either get the players to play well and play smart, or to make the tough decisions to eliminate the deadwood and get players who give 100% all the time and don't make dumb mistakes. And, where's the leadership on the field with this team? You can't honestly expect a rookie QB to earn the right to be the leader in his 1st season. That's what this Bills team really is missing. Veteran leadership from guys that won't put up with losing.

If Marrone is worth anything, which I believe he is, he and Whaley need to get rid of the older players who are willing to take losing and replace them with veteran leadership. If this alone is accomplished this offseason, the young guys will be fine, including Manuel.

You are partially right. Sure, there is no leadership, and the players screw up.

But don!t you think ability has something to do with players screwing up?

And we all hope so and want it to be, but if you think Manuel will be fine,

I completely disagree.

Ah, what??

I think what he means is to get rid of those who have been with this team for a while and replace them with fresh blood. Changing the culture of the organization may have to start with a tough decision. Cutting Stevie would be a bold move, but one that would certainly wake people up.

I've been a Union College hockey season ticket holder since 1997. They were annual doormats in the ECAC for years until they hired Nate Leaman in 2003. Leaman recruited players to fit his system, but when some of those guys became problematic (on or off the ice), he benched them. One player in particular was very popular and a good player, but did something bad enough off the ice to warrant being kicked off the team. It wasn't popular, but it was effective. When players weren't performing or continuously committing mental mistakes, he benched them for a game or two...even the top scorers.

It's something like this that would need to be done in order for the appropriate message to be sent. It's Marrone's job to get wins. If someone like Stevie keeps dropping crucial passes or fumbling or shows he's not putting up the right effort, then cut him loose. Despite his talent, you can't keep screwing up and keep your job.

If Marrone is the man people think he is, at half time

he would have made adjustments, benching the entire 11 men offensive and defensive units

for at least a couple of series and telling the team that if they want to be on the field for the

Buffalo Bills they they will perform on the field.

Don1t you think they would have got more effort from guys who would have been happy to

play football. Sure, it would have taken guts to do that, but at least now everyone knows

if you fumble the football, don!t block and don!t do what it takes to win-you still play.

One of Marrone's favorite buzzwords - accountability. But it's becoming clear that Bills players are not really grasping the concept. It's no surprise that Stevie does not hold himself accountable " that dropped pass (alligator armed, caused interception), happened early, so it doesn't really matter". But Eric Woods statement on poor O line play "down 21-3 in second quarter, no O line can play well in those circumstances" was a shocker. Talk about a lack of accountability. Hey Eric, you were only down 14-3 for the vast majority of 2nd quarter. And even if the defense is teeing off to rush the passer with a big lead, it does not explain your inability to run block or your dumb motion penalties. Be accountable; lame excuses are for losers.

There is no accountability. We have had the same bone headed penalties all year that have killed us game in and game out. We lead the league in penalties that account for opposing teams 1st downs. This is the most penalized Bills team that I can remembe and one of the most penalized in the NFL.

This team is also at the bottom tier (more) in fumbles.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I'm glad you started this thread because when I read that statement by Eric Wood I immediately thought, "loser mentality"! It sounded as though he/teammates quit due to the adversity. It's those kind of attitudes that will keep this team down. Maybe Eric should ask a member of the Patriots/Ravens if they thought the game was over when they were losing late in the game yesterday. IMO, "leaders" shouldn't make statements like that. Leaders are the ones who pick up the weak. Leaders are accountable and hold others around them on that mantle. Leaders don't make feeble excuses!

he would have made adjustments, benching the entire 11 men offensive and defensive units

for at least a couple of series and telling the team that if they want to be on the field for the

Don1t you think they would have got more effort from guys who would have been happy to

play football. Sure, it would have taken guts to do that, but at least now everyone knows

if you fumble the football, don!t block and don!t do what it takes to win-you still play.

I really liked what Marrone did by letting his "leaders" address the team after the game. Also allowing others to voice their opinions. Reminiscent of the "Bickering Bills" without the bickering. The defense played better the second half. Their defensive leader saw to that. Can't say that much about the offense, he was too busy making excuses. Marrone is a true leader of men and he is the right man for this team!

I hate buzzwords like accountability, but Stevie struck again with his weird "happened early, so it doesn't matter" comment. I wouldn't mind trading him this offseason, even if it's not for great value.

And Eric Wood is praising Doug Legursky now for his "leadership" because he started in Superbowls. A fine example why I hate babble like accountability. Dude sucks at football, he shouldn't be here.

Edited by Leelee Phoenix

I have been puzzled by this too. Coach Marrone continually saying players and coaches are "accountable". What does that mean? I wish one of the press people would ask him this. In most areas of life if you are accountable that means that if you screw up you have to fix it or pay somehow. SJ being instrumental in 2 losses has not cost him any playing time. An alligator arm deflection that causes a pick and he's right back out there. Leodis muffs a punt, next punt he's back out there.

Somehow I doubt the NFLPA would allow SJ or Leodis running a couple dozen sets of bleachers to be "accountable". How are the players being held "accountable"? Whatever it is, I hope there's a lot of it going on this week.

seems practical.

I was a bit surprised by the fact that McKelvin wasn't taken out of the game after muffing the punt return, especially since he almost coughed up another one late in the game. There's no excuse for the guy to be making those mistakes. The coaches have to send a message that that cannot be tolerated. Then again, after the penalties kept piling up and have continued to be a problem all season, maybe the players think they can get away with those mistakes without any consequences.

This does seem to be a roster that lacks major leadership and it can't be all put on a rookie QB's shoulders. There aren't enough leaders in that locker room who have taken responsibility for the ways things have gone outside of the usual comments, "We just have to get better." Leaders lead by example. In Indianapolis we saw guys like Reggie Wayne and Dwight Freeney take charge of that team during Andre Luck's rookie year. Who has taken charge of this team? It certainly hasn't been any of the veteran guys...

Marrone did let the captains and players speak out in the locker room after the game which was a different move, but that doesn't always solve everything even though it can help clear the air. But this is a roster of players who have never known how to take charge and hold themselves accountable collectively and individually. McKelvin, Wood, Kyle Williams, SJ, Fred Jackson, etc.. They've spent their entire careers here and still haven't learned how to be accountable for the team's mistakes and for their own. The results have been the same year in and year out. We can't expect things to change until we bring in some guidance into this locker room. Otherwise we're doomed to see the same group of players and coaches respond the same way they've always responded to these problems... "We just have to be accountable. We need to be better..." Even though they clearly haven't learned how.

Edited by 808Bills

Eric Wood's comments were a bit of a head scratcher. I am taking his comments to mean, perhaps he questions Nate Hackett's play calling, as we were telegraphing what we were going to do. I saw the Patriots yesterday run a draw with a minute & change to go down by 12 points.

I took Wood's comments to mean he was throwing the D unit under the bus - and I didn't much care for it.

Looks like KW wanted to tear the first reporter's head off: http://goo.gl/1WnhZW

Wow...as CB is asking him whether the team needs to grow up or be better pros you can hear some idiots yucking it up in the background.

A dead-eyed KW: It's both.

KW for Bills head coach someday!!! He seemed intense and genuinely upset and concerned in that interview. Genuine being the keyword.