EJ Dooms Bills Until 2016 Season

Boludo

If you don't think EJ will be the Bills starter next year, you are either delusional or ill informed about NFL football. After investing the pick, if he does ANYTHING next year, they will bring him back for a third season. It's hard to get rid of these guys (ie: Sanchez).

After the 2015 season, they will finally release Manuel and Marrone will be fired that offseason as well.

So set your on the 2016 NFL draft, that is the next opportunity for hope for the franchise. Maybe Bon Jovi will own the team then...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't really know how hard it is to get rid of "these guys" now-a-days. Since the new rookie wage scale was put in we haven't seen anybody as bad as EJ right away. Nor have we seen a guy who was MOSTLY regarded as a mid-round pick selected so early. There aren't many eyes on Buffalo or EJ, so moving on could be much easier than we think.

Plus, it's a QB league. Somewhere somebody is going to eventually draft a QB in the first round two years in a row. It's bound to happen eventually.

With all that said, he'll be the starter next year. Buffalo doesn't have the brains or balls.

We don't really know how hard it is to get rid of "these guys" now-a-days. Since the new rookie wage scale was put in we haven't seen anybody as bad as EJ right away. Nor have we seen a guy who was MOSTLY regarded as a mid-round pick selected so early. There aren't many eyes on Buffalo or EJ, so moving on could be much easier than we think.

Plus, it's a QB league. Somewhere somebody is going to eventually draft a QB in the first round two years in a row. It's bound to happen eventually.

With all that said, he'll be the starter next year. Buffalo doesn't have the brains or balls.

This

and I suppose your alternate strategy is for the Bills to simply give up on EJ now and to focus on drafting our QB of the future in the 2014 draft.

Interestingly this draft pick will be done by the same braintrust that chose EJ (who you dub a failure after a mere single season) so likely we can look forward to the team making a similar new choice which puts us on track to finally win out in the 2016.

For those of us here in the real world who know that the Ben RoboQB and Eli Manning level of initial success is actually the exception to the rule which sees a rookie QB even at the level of success of a Peyton Manning finally produce an SB win well over 5 years into his career and recognize the reality that even he only has 1 SB win on his resume and he is the best QB in the NFL.

The actual NFL reality is that one really needs three full seasons before a credible judgment can be made as to the career outcome for a player. Even with exceptional results of the Steelers team which won the SB under RoboQB (I think there were at 3 more important players than RoboQB for their first SB win and Eli was actually well down on the list of star Giants in their wins.

We are simply not far removed from the days when TB gave up on Favre and Steve Young (only to see them become HoF talents) and not one but two teams declared Brad Johnson incapable of QB wirk (much as you do with EJ) before he led a team to an SB win.

If the Bills jettison EJ now it would be the height of panic and we would deserve putting ourselves on a track to finally win a playoff game in 2016 (or later) if we followed your track.

If you don't think EJ will be the Bills starter next year, you are either delusional or ill informed about NFL football. After investing the pick, if he does ANYTHING next year, they will bring him back for a third season. It's hard to get rid of these guys (ie: Sanchez).

After the 2015 season, they will finally release Manuel and Marrone will be fired that offseason as well.

So set your on the 2016 NFL draft, that is the next opportunity for hope for the franchise. Maybe Bon Jovi will own the team then...

Mike Pettine for HC

Christian Hackenberg QB

The dynasty begins

and I suppose your alternate strategy is for the Bills to simply give up on EJ now and to focus on drafting our QB of the future in the 2014 draft.

Interestingly this draft pick will be done by the same braintrust that chose EJ (who you dub a failure after a mere single season) so likely we can look forward to the team making a similar new choice which puts us on track to finally win out in the 2016.

For those of us here in the real world who know that the Ben RoboQB and Eli Manning level of initial success is actually the exception to the rule which sees a rookie QB even at the level of success of a Peyton Manning finally produce an SB win well over 5 years into his career and recognize the reality that even he only has 1 SB win on his resume and he is the best QB in the NFL.

The actual NFL reality is that one really needs three full seasons before a credible judgment can be made as to the career outcome for a player. Even with exceptional results of the Steelers team which won the SB under RoboQB (I think there were at 3 more important players than RoboQB for their first SB win and Eli was actually well down on the list of star Giants in their wins.

We are simply not far removed from the days when TB gave up on Favre and Steve Young (only to see them become HoF talents) and not one but two teams declared Brad Johnson incapable of QB wirk (much as you do with EJ) before he led a team to an SB win.

If the Bills jettison EJ now it would be the height of panic and we would deserve putting ourselves on a track to finally win a playoff game in 2016 (or later) if we followed your track.

Favre was in Atlanta and I wish we traded up for Roesthlisberger. If by some miracle he becomes available we should snatch him up, a proven veteran is always better than hoping for a rookie to develop.

actually the Steelers with Big Ben and Baltimore with Flacco were unusual--they had strong defenses and a strong veteran presence and running game surrounding them --thus they played safe.

Seattle was similar to them---very strong defense and a strong running game with experience at RB and WR.

Indy was more of an annomolly --but Luck could be one of those special QBs. :ast year they won a bunch of close games. A play here or there in those games they easily could have been 7-9. Combined that with the situation with the head coach's health was a factor.

Last year Washington got hot and benefited with the schedule. They played close in the first part of the season. After their bye they played 5 of their final 7 games against the division which benefited them in their come back.

I find all these by fans who know more than the coaching staff and front office really interesting. It's amazing how many of you guys just know he has no chance of being good while a coaching staff with a lifetime of experience just can't see the game the way you geniuses see it.

There's a reason they give these guys time. It's because it's tough to weed out the bad ones after just a few starts because the good ones also generally look like crap early in their careers. So while you might end up being right that he'll end up not being good you'd also throw away a lot of talented QBs who started out slowly.

Mike Pettine for HC

Christian Hackenberg QB

The dynasty begins

Favre was in Atlanta and I wish we traded up for Roesthlisberger. If by some miracle he becomes available we should snatch him up, a proven veteran is always better than hoping for a rookie to develop.

Or QB Jay Cutler who is a free agent is a QB that would fit into Nate Hacketts offensive scheme of always making the QB carry the game.

But then if Whaley continues with the Nix tradition of anyone can play guard, and drafts another CB with next years #1 pick.... will it matter?

Anyway, I'd be all for Mike Pettine as the new HC if i knew that he knew who to hire to run his offense! Perhaps LSU's OC Cam Cameron comes to mind. The man who developed QB's Joe Flacco, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, and built dominant running attacks with LaDainian Tomlinson, and Ray Rice.

Or QB Jay Cutler who is a free agent is a QB that would fit into Nate Hacketts offensive scheme of always making the QB carry the game.

But then if Whaley continues with the Nix tradition of anyone can play guard, and drafts another CB with next years #1 pick.... will it matter?

Anyway, I'd be all for Mike Pettine as the new HC if i knew that he knew who to hire to run his offense! Perhaps LSU's OC Cam Cameron comes to mind. The man who developed QB's Joe Flacco, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers, and built dominant running attacks with LaDainian Tomlinson, and Ray Rice.

I would love for Buffalo to sign Cutler, but I highly doubt that he would have any interest in living here.

I find all these by fans who know more than the coaching staff and front office really interesting.

You hit the nail on the head unintentionally.

Which is to say: our coaching staff and front office STINK. They do NOT know how to develop players and an NFL team.

I have NO faith in Marrone, Brandon, et al.

You hit the nail on the head unintentionally.

Which is to say: our coaching staff and front office STINK. They do NOT know how to develop players and an NFL team.

I have NO faith in Marrone, Brandon, et al.

And this is based on their long, time-tested track record in the NFL?

Maybe you can give me todays Lotto numbers too......

Edited by dhg

He is a rookie and will have his ups and downs, ups vs. Carolina and NY Jets, downs vs. Pittsburgh and Tampa. Typical over reacting fan responses. The reason for the loss yesterday falls mostly on the offensive line that could not block and the famed pass rush that registered one sack. Again hes a rookie.

Drafting QBs is a hit or miss proposition. No NFL GM is perfect at talent evaluation, especially at the QB position. I don't think EJ's struggles are an indictment of Nix or Whaley.

However, I do think OBD needs to draft another QB. EJ is a rookie and may yet mature into a franchise QB. Then again, he may not. We need an insurance policy. I hope to see the Bills draft another QB in the early rounds to compete with EJ.

He is a rookie and will have his ups and downs, ups vs. Carolina and NY Jets, downs vs. Pittsburgh and Tampa. Typical over reacting fan responses. The reason for the loss yesterday falls mostly on the offensive line that could not block and the famed pass rush that registered one sack. Again hes a rookie.

I agree that it's to be expected from a rookie. I don't agree that most of the blame falls on the OL. EJ had many opportunities to hit open WRs in the face of a heavy rush; that's his job on those plays. Now, I understand that--as a rookie--he may struggle to do so at first...that doesn't absolve him from responsibility for beating the blitz.

I certainly wouldn't give up on him, as many rookies (most, in fact) struggle against heavy blitzing early on in their careers. I do, however, expect to see better performances in the last 3 weeks of the season, or else I would be in favor of drafting another QB early on (rounds 1-3) in 2014.