$15 An Hour

Tiberius

did that job motivate you? It was while you were a student or early on in life when you had no skills right? Arguably you learned anything from the education you received and still lack skills so really this will go over your head, but those are entry level jobs. Only a fool would make a career of a position like that. And only a fool would start off a family or depend upon that type of work sustaining them in their life.

So you are saying I should have been put in a concentration camp? You Nazis just think about killing all the time

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only a fool would make a career of a position like that. And only a fool would start off a family or depend upon that type of work sustaining them in their life.

But it takes a progressive to make pizza delivery a career while starting a family and then demanding they be paid more for delivering pizzas because having a family and raising kids on a pizza delivery income just isn't fair.

MINIMUM WAGE HYPOCRITES:

For example, Organizing For Action, that kind of creepy newfangled 4H political arm of President Obama, is looking for talented, hard-working, ambitious folks to fill
14-week unpaid
intern positions.

Among the work you might perform there free of charge? Agitating for an increase in the minimum wage!

Similarly, among those fabled dens of journalistic rabble rousing that do so much to stoke the rage against evil huge employers like Wal-Mart, Subway, McDonald’s and so many others, there are plenty of outlets looking for bright young people to man the barricades.

Again, for little or no pay.

The left-wing heroes at Mother Jones, bothered by the appearance of having unpaid interns, raised the job status to “fellows” and began paying them the royal wage of $1,000 a month. Assuming a normal work-week, alas, that’s well below the minimum wage mandated in its California editorial home.

Across country, in the cheap space of Manhattan, editorial interns at Salon are, alas, unpaid. That hasn’t stopped the magazine from publishing pieces excoriating the allegedly underpaid masses.

Well, at least former Clinton Labor Secretary Robert Reich is one man who won’t stand for that sort of thing. At the left-wing American Prospect magazine he helped found, interns get a healthy $100-per-week stipend. That’s less than a third of what some exploited slob would get working 40 hours at minimum wage, but, hey, are you only in it for the money?

Hey, rules are for the little people.

i made $6k/yr on an nih stipend in grad school. for the hours i worked it was well below the minimum wage. in residency, i made about 20k per year. again, on an hourly basis, less than the minimum wage. wasn't happy about it but i knew well it would pay off in the end. fast food workers, not so much. apples and oranges.

i made $6k/yr on an nih stipend in grad school. for the hours i worked it was well below the minimum wage. in residency, i made about 20k per year. again, on an hourly basis, less than the minimum wage. wasn't happy about it but i knew well it would pay off in the end. fast food workers, not so much. apples and oranges.

So it's ok to pay more highly motivated, educated, and skilled workers less than minimum wage; but for those who lack education, skills, and drive it's not ok? And furthermore we need to double the earnings of the second set?

So it's ok to pay more highly motivated, educated, and skilled workers less than minimum wage; but for those who lack education, skills, and drive it's not ok? And furthermore we need to double the earnings of the second set?

apparently.

apparently.

i'm not saying it's ok. it's allowed since it's considered training/education. same for internships in law firms, investment banks etc. technically, they are not considered employment. i can see how it can be rationalized. there's no reasonable person claiming that working at wal mart or fast food joints is education.

i'm not saying it's ok. it's allowed since it's considered training/education. same for internships in law firms, investment banks etc. technically, they are not considered employment. i can see how it can be rationalized. there's no reasonable person claiming that working at wal mart or fast food joints is education.

Fair enough sir.

However I still agree with the basis of the article, that perhaps those who are actively campaigning for the $15. minimum wage (not just law firms and banks) could set a better example by paying their interns a "living wage"

there's no reasonable person claiming that working at wal mart or fast food joints is education.

I know that you were talking about the difference between an internship and a 'regular' job with your post.

However. This type of thinking is just so very, very wrong.

What do you think the minimum wage should be? With specifics, please.

How much are you paid now to deliver Pizza's? Bring us up to date.

Ha ha, no, not now. I'm living in my sweat spot for earnings now so I can save for that--hopefully early--retirement.

Not sure I could even handle being a deliverer now, it was actually a physical job carrying stuff up stairs and running all over the place.

That is just a tad extreme. If I were you I would get checked for any mercury fillings, however.

He's the Nazi, not me

Right to the gas chamber and the oven then for me? Don't forget to check for any gold teeth!

not just a glass of orange juice. That is probably a lot to ask for getting any concentration of you. But you are a fruit. And you do have plenty of pulp.