My memorable trip to Buffalo for KC game (long overdue)

Rockee96

I flew to Buffalo from LA for the KC game in November. My wife and I had a great time!

I wanted to share my thoughts on our trip, especially since many of you on this board gave us such helpful suggestions:

1> The people in Buffalo were very friendly and genuine. I could sense that this is a blue collar city, and most Buffalonians we met were warm and helpful.

2> The KC game was the 3rd Bills game I went to (they lost the other 2 that I saw). Even though we lost in hearbreaking fashion, it was ironically the most well-played, hardest fought Bills game I've ever been to.

3> We really need to throw the ball to Marquis Goodwin more.

3> Our first-ever tailgating experience was awesome! Thank you mead107 for your hospitality and for letting us join your tailgate. You truly are the Stromboli King. We especially liked your sausage Strombolis.

4> Niagara Falls was a sight to behold, especially from the Canadian side.

5> My best food experience at Buffalo was surprisingly at Ted's Hot Dogs. Amazing, good quality hot dogs.

6> We loved Gino and Joe's Pizza as well.

7> The women of Buffalo love Kiko Alonso

8> The fans truly love their team.

9> Ashker's Juice Bar in Elmwood and Five Points Bakery were great places for breakfast.

10> The wings at Bar Bills were as good as advertised. The beef on weck was very good, but it was a bit bland.

11> For those of you who like to collect coins, Lincoln Coin & Stamp is one of those rare stores where the owner has a great selection of coins and will give you an honest deal.

12> I still believe that the Bills will win a Superbowl in my lifetime (I am 32).

Go Bills! Looking forward to the 2014 draft!

-Thomas

Edited by Rockee96

I flew to Buffalo from LA for the KC game in November. My wife and I had a great time!

I wanted to share my thoughts on our trip, especially since many of you on this board gave us such helpful suggestions:

1> The people in Buffalo were very friendly and genuine. I could sense that this is a blue collar city, and most Buffalonians we met were warm and helpful.

2> The KC game was the 3rd Bills game I went to (they lost the other 2 that I saw). Even though we lost in hearbreaking fashion, it was ironically the most well-played, hardest fought Bills game I've ever been to.

3> Our first-ever tailgating experience was awesome! Thank you mead107 for your hospitality and for letting us join your tailgate. You truly are the Stromboli King. We especially liked your sausage Strombolis.

5> My best food experience at Buffalo was surprisingly at Ted's Hot Dogs. Amazing, good quality hot dogs.

9> Ashker's Juice Bar in Elmwood and Five Points Bakery were great places for breakfast.

10> The wings at Bar Bills were as good as advertised. The beef on weck was very good, but it was a bit bland.

11> For those of you who like to collect coins, Lincoln Coin & Stamp is one of those rare stores where the owner has a great selection of coins and will give you an honest deal.

12> I still believe that the Bills will win a Superbowl in my lifetime (I am 32).

-Thomas

Glad to hear your trip was a memorable one, but your timing is off. Back in the early 90"s it was rare to see a loss at the Ralph. Hope the next trip ends with a Bills win. Looking forward to the future, as I believe the team is turning the corner.

Do us all a favor and stop going to Bills games!!! (just kidding)

Glad you enjoyed yourself and the people of Buffalo treated you well. My first Bills game as a kid was also KC. Only difference was it was the 1993 AFC Championship game. Sat in the last row of the stadium and took a metro bus with my mom and my brother. Got to see the Bills end Joe Montana's career and go to the SB. Maybe that's why I'm a glass half full Bills fan!

Side note. I kinda hate the term blue collar. I think it just means things are old and not changing (which for years, Buffalo has been). In the last few years, Buffalo has had more progress made that I ever saw in the 20+ years I grew up there.

-Thomas

Cool... I was at that game too.

Sounds like a wonderful trip to take! I've been a lifelong fan of the Bills but growing up in Hawaii meant being thousands of miles and an ocean away. My dream is to someday make it out to Buffalo and experience a home game in Orchard Park. I'm going to keep some of those places in mind when I do make it!

Glad you enjoyed yourself and the people of Buffalo treated you well. My first Bills game as a kid was also KC. Only difference was it was the 1993 AFC Championship game. Sat in the last row of the stadium and took a metro bus with my mom and my brother. Got to see the Bills end Joe Montana's career and go to the SB. Maybe that's why I'm a glass half full Bills fan!

Side note. I kinda hate the term blue collar. I think it just means things are old and not changing (which for years, Buffalo has been). In the last few years, Buffalo has had more progress made that I ever saw in the 20+ years I grew up there.

My first Bills game was also against the Chiefs. It was in 1976 and the Bills won 50-17. I remember OJ scoring a TD. It was one of their two victories that year.

BTW, the Bills did not end Joe Montana's career in the 1993 Championship game. Montana retired after the 1994 season.

I remember being so nervous before that game. If I recall, KC shut us down in the regular season, and Saleameau and co shut down our run game.

Then we just ran it down their throat in the afc championship.

Come to the opener! Rent a bus and pick up everyone along the way and charge them a fare - it'll cover your costs, probably, too. Except, watch out if you pick up Bill. He'll likely stiff you.

My first game was the Pats in 91? 92? It was in the end of the season, bitter cold, snow and ice. I was in 4th grade - doing the math I graduated in 2000 @ 18, so 12-4=8, I was 10, which means 91. Got my face and hair painted, tasted my first beer, and had the time of my life sitting in the Rockpile section. We lost, I still have the ticket, too.

Blue Collar is Buffalo. Are you try to tell me the city is now white collar? Facts please.

Awesome, glad you had fun. I love when out of towners come here and get to experience what we are all about. I hate when some of my college friends or other people that have never spent time in Buffalo rag on our city. My LA friends like to bust my chops about how the Bills are going to move there and how they can't believe I live in such a crummy city. I don't think people understand the heart and soul of Buffalo until they immerse themselves in it and experience it for themselves. It sounds like you certainly did that by taking in some local sights instead of just eating at the nearest Applebee's or mcdonalds and staying in your hotel the whole time.

-Thomas

Glad you had a great time. Buffalo is truly one of the top3 tailgating experiences in the NFL.

I go on one or two road games a season and we try to tour the town like it appears you did.

After about 6 years of this we realized we hasn't been to a Bills game in years. So even though we know Buffalo we decided to spend a weekend and go to the off beat places we haven't had time to go to and fell in love with Buffalo again.

Come back next year for the home opener. I can tell you right now it is going to be a blast!

Edited by Why So Serious?