2014 Draft

HSerotte

Now that we are almost certainly out of the playoffs, and most likely will have a top 10 pick next year, what positions or players do you think will help? I feel like the defense is 1 impact player away from being top 5 in the league, but I also think we have to get EJ some weapons and help him develop (hopefully) into our franchise QB.

From what I have read, hear, and understand, this draft is supposed to be very deep at the QB position. Maybe not high first round picks, but mid to late first round or 2nd round? Do what they did last year: trade down if possible, get an extra pick (they need it) and draft another QB.

E.J. has one of the lowest completion pct's in the league, and doesn't even throw a deep ball.

Draft another QB, they are going to need one anyhow for backup, or if E.J. doesn't work out: It's the smart move IMO, which means Buffalo probably

won't do it.

:cry:

Edited by San-O

From what I have read, hear, and understand, this draft is supposed to be very deep at the QB position. Maybe not high first round picks, but mid to late first round or 2nd round? Do what they did last year: trade down if possible, get an extra pick (they need it) and draft another QB.

E.J. has one of the lowest completion pct's in the league, and doesn't even throw a deep ball.

Draft another QB, they are going to need one anyhow for backup, or if E.J. doesn't work out: It's the smart move IMO, which means Buffalo probably

won't do it.

You're already giving up on him? He hasn't even played 10 games yet.

Edited by HSerotte

won't do it.

What ?? One of lowest completion percentages?. ...Huh?

You're already giving up on him? He hasn't even played 10 games yet.

Yup pretty sad. There's more than a few that have thrown in the EJ towel for some reason.

Guess If Stevie held onto balls EJ would be fine. Oh well. He's a bust.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

won't do it.

Dont worry. Every year is the deepest QB class in year

Also if haven't seen significant improvement from EJ is the last two games, I don't know what you are watching.

Dont worry. Every year is the deepest QB class in year

Also if haven't seen significant improvement from EJ is the last two games, I don't know what you are watching.

Yup every year the qbs are better. If only we were smart enough to grab Nassib Barkley of Tyler Wilson last year.

Wonder which donks will "shoot up the board next year "

Edited by Ryan L Billz

As far as this draft another QB talk, EJ is still largely an enigma. They will have to focus on other areas in this next draft. After another year, if EJ is still not seeing the field well and errant on his deep balls, if he gets injured again, maybe the Bills go QB again in 2015 or 2016, but not next year. EJ has too much upside. We need to wait it out, unfortunately. He's a rookie. They need a OLB, CB, and maybe S on defense; and a tall WR, LG, TE. RT, and RB on offense. Too many needs to be drafting another QB this soon.

Yup every year the qbs are better. If only we were smart enough to grab Nassib Barkley of Tyler Wilson last year.

Wonder which Donks will reach "shoot up the board next year "

You realize Wilson got cut by the Oakland Raiders right?

Exactly why I wanted the Bills to take a shot on a QB last year - even if it wasn't touted as the best class in the world.

A lot of people kept saying "2014 is going to be incredibly deep at QB" and screamed that we should wait. But like others said - if you just wait a year, the 2014 class will start losing its luster.

> Some top prospects will have average, bad or inconsistent seasons (Aaron Murray, David Fales)

> Some underclassmen will decide to return to school (Marcus Mariota, probably Brett Hundley)

> Some will be knocked for a poor attitude or character concerns (Johnny Manziel)

> Some will be ripped apart by scouts during the preparation months (Still Coming...)

Once April comes along, it's very likely that Teddy Bridgewater will be the only exceptional QB prospect - and he will most likely go #1 Overall (where the Bills wouldn't have had a shot anyway).

Guys like Johnny Manziel, Derek Carr and Tajh Boyd will likely be the next QBs off the board. Are they so much better prospects that Geno Smith or EJ Manuel?

won't do it.

You're kidding right? Explain how EJ's stats are similar to Luck's in his 2nd year? Also, since Luck was a slam dunk pick, it pretty much goes to show that no QB is guaranteed to be a stud on the next level. But it would be hilarious if the Bills drafted a QB high just so some irrational fans can run him out of town after a bad practice.

To answer the question, the Bills need Mike Evans or a stud TE. Chandler is decent but doesn't play big. We need a throw it up and get it guy. And obviously, an upgrade at LG and ILB are necessary but those are positions that can be found later in the draft.

Exactly why I wanted the Bills to take a shot on a QB last year - even if it wasn't touted as the best class in the world.

A lot of people kept saying "2014 is going to be incredibly deep at QB" and screamed that we should wait. But like others said - if you just wait a year, the 2014 class will start losing its luster.

> Some top prospects will have average, bad or inconsistent seasons (Aaron Murray, David Fales)

> Some underclassmen will decide to return to school (Marcus Mariota, probably Brett Hundley)

> Some will be knocked for a poor attitude or character concerns (Johnny Manziel)

> Some will be ripped apart by scouts during the preparation months (Still Coming...)

Once April comes along, it's very likely that Teddy Bridgewater will be the only exceptional QB prospect - and he will most likely go #1 Overall (where the Bills wouldn't have had a shot anyway).

Guys like Johnny Manziel, Derek Carr and Tajh Boyd will likely be the next QBs off the board. Are they so much better prospects that Geno Smith or EJ Manuel?

They aren't but Johnny Football is on TV more. Put Aaron Murray in that group as well.

There is no Qb close to the physical and mental makeup of EJ in this draft. EJ might not succeed but he has everything you want in a Qb.

Manuel will have ups and downs for the next three years showing great promise one week and remarkable ineptitude the next. He will ultimately prove himself incapable of contributing enough to make this an exceptional offense. He will also miss numerous games every year because of injury. We will again be shopping for a qb in three years in the meantime we will lose many of our defensive talent. It's the Bills' way.

Manuel will have ups and downs for the next three years showing great promise one week and remarkable ineptitude the next. He will ultimately prove himself incapable of contributing enough to make this an exceptional offense. He will also miss numerous games every year because of injury. We will again be shopping for a qb in three years in the meantime we will lose many of our defensive talent. It's the Bills' way.

I_cf03f1_2599989.jpg

RG3 is still struggling after his knee injury, EJ will be healthier and wiser next season.

Agree, also missing 2 weeks of your first NFL training camp doesn't help either.

I'd also am willing to bet on a monster year next year for RG3.

#1 a Stud LB.... (still need to stop the run) #2 OL a player who can start at Guard or Tackle (need better blocking then what we have been getting)... #3 best TE or Tall WR available (someone with size and great hands to extend drives)... IMO these are the biggest needs, I'm sure some folks will rip this apart... But like I said, just my opinion...

1st round - Taylor Lewan LT Michigan - He's strong enough to play RT and nasty enough.

2nd round - Cryil Richardson G Baylor - Great run blocker

3rd round - Shayne Skov LB Stanford - Very good against the run, hopefully his lack of elite speed will drop him into the 3rd round. Him and Kiko together would be legendary.

4th round - Jared Abbrederis WR Wisconsin - Great hands and a very savvy receiver @ 6'2

4th round - C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa - No way in hell he's available but stranger things have happened.

I'm confused! What exactly has any of those QBs done this year that would tell you they're better than Manuel?

1st round - Taylor Lewan LT Michigan - He's strong enough to play RT and nasty enough.

Agreed. We should draft guys to upgrade over Cordy Glenn and Kraig Urbik.

Maybe in the 3rd round we can draft someone to upgrade Kiko Alonso's position.

If an elite WR is there, I would like the Bills to choose him. If not, I'd be happy with a top-three DB or LB. There's almost zero chance they will draft a QB or OL, unless they acquire multiple additional picks. I'd like to see Manuel play through next year. If he has a really horrible year, sure, draft another in the first two rounds of '15. The plus will be the elite receiver they hopefully draft in '14 will be ready to take the next step by then.

Edited by GOBILLS78

Agreed. We should draft guys to upgrade over Cordy Glenn and Kraig Urbik.

Why

Maybe in the 3rd round we can draft someone to upgrade Kiko Alonso's position.

Why Be a !@#$ing smart ass?

RT

LG

LB

Replacing Moats, Pears and our LG

Don't ever try and play me again man I'm the most laid back dude on this forum if you don't have anything positive to say keep it to your self.

RT

LG

LB

Don't ever try and play me again man I'm the most laid back dude on this forum if you don't have anything positive to say keep it to your self.

You advocated drafting 2 O-linemen directly after I posted about the silliness of drafting an O-lineman in the first round.

Who was being the smart ass?

Also you said to draft a left tackle, Taylor Lewan.

Am I supposed to be a mind reader and extrapolate that you want to draft a left tackle to play right tackle?

Laid back? Smartass?

How about you were understandably misunderstood because your post was anything but clear?

3rd round - Shayne Skov LB Stanford - Very good against the run, hopefully his lack of elite speed will drop him into the 3rd round. Him and Kiko together would be legendary.

4th round - Jared Abbrederis WR Wisconsin - Great hands and a very savvy receiver @ 6'2

4th round - C.J. Fiedorowicz TE Iowa - No way in hell he's available but stranger things have happened.

OG Richardson is graded at the 30th- 32nd best, and he won't be there in the 2nd as QB's and O linemen tend to move up as the draft gets closer.

Anyway, your draft would certainly address some issues in my view, I'm just not so positive it would give the Bills the best upgrades needed.

The Bills need help in stopping the run, and pass rush so #1 OLB like Khalil Mack. They could use a real #1 WR, Mike Evans- Sammy Watkins. OLB-WR-OG-OT in any order would satisfy me.

NFL draftscout.com, Rob Rang has the Bills taking Cyrus Koundjio with the #9 overall http://www.cbssports...ftscout-RobRang

Both sbnation.com & walterfootball.com & SI have the Bills taking Mack @#9.

OT at #9 is not that far-fetched as NFL.com has the Bills with OT a need. Although DE makes no sense, and S only if they let Byrd walk.

9. Buffalo Bills

Record: 4-8

Team needs: OT, safety, DE

Analysis: The Bills could use another offensive tackle as well as some youth at defensive end. Buffalo linebacker/pass rusher Khalil Mack would be a very popular pick, and his versatility would give defensive coordinator Mike Pettine a lot of flexibility.

http://www.nfl.com/n...or-all-32-teams

Edited by FeartheLosing

You advocated drafting 2 O-linemen directly after I posted about the silliness of drafting an O-lineman in the first round.

Who was being the smart ass?

Also you said to draft a left tackle, Taylor Lewan.

Am I supposed to be a mind reader and extrapolate that you want to draft a left tackle to play right tackle?

Laid back? Smartass?

How about you were understandably misunderstood because your post was anything but clear?

In all fairness, he did say in his post that he wanted to draft Taylor Lewan and play him at RT. Also, he didn't say anything about Urbik. Legursky sucks. I think a guard in the second round is more than fair.

Just because he posted his draft wishes, doesn't mean it was a personal affront to your post about not drafting a guard or tackle in the first round. I personally think we've had success in the early rounds lately so I'm not against it. Wood (1st round g/c), Levitre (2nd round t/g), Glenn (2nd round t/g).

To Nisher, if we could get Skov in the 3rd I'd be ecstatic.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

If an elite WR is there, I would like the Bills to choose him. If not, I'd be happy with a top-three DB or LB. There's almost zero chance they will draft a QB or OL, unless they acquire multiple additional picks. I'd like to see Manuel play through next year. If he has a really horrible year, sure, draft another in the first two rounds of '15. The plus will be the elite receiver they hopefully draft in '14 will be ready to take the next step by then.

Who is this "elite" WR that you are advocating? There are no Calvin/Andre Johnson's, AJ Green's, Larry Fitzgerald's in this years draft. With your first round pick you need to get a "playmaker"! Someone who can contribute and start on day one. Someone who's opposing teams had to game plan against. There aren't many "playmakers" in this year's draft, but I know Khalil Mack is one.

Who is this "elite" WR that you are advocating? There are no Calvin/Andre Johnson's, AJ Green's, Larry Fitzgerald's in this years draft. With your first round pick you need to get a "playmaker"! Someone who can contribute and start on day one. Someone who's opposing teams had to game plan against. There aren't many "playmakers" in this year's draft, but I know Khalil Mack is one.

There you go. As I said, if there isn't one there, go DB or LB. Beyond the first-tier "elite" WR you mention, even second-tier would be nice. Think Jeffery, Nicks, Marshall, Jackson, etc.

RT

LG

LB

In all fairness, he did say in his post that he wanted to draft Taylor Lewan and play him at RT. Also, he didn't say anything about Urbik. Legursky sucks. I think a guard in the second round is more than fair.

Just because he posted his draft wishes, doesn't mean it was a personal affront to your post about not drafting a guard or tackle in the first round. I personally think we've had success in the early rounds lately so I'm not against it. Wood (1st round g/c), Levitre (2nd round t/g), Glenn (2nd round t/g).

To Nisher, if we could get Skov in the 3rd I'd be ecstatic.

Thanks Kiko.

My apologies to Nisher.

I didn't see the part about moving Lewan to right tackle.

My spaciness might have to do with having only 3 days off in the last 5 weeks (today is the 4th), and battling the flu.

Sorry again Nisher.

Thanks again Kiko for moderating.

I'd better take a nap. It would probably help.

I am a BPA kinda guy but I agree with the big receiver crowd. The Bills need a physical WR that can win the contested ball 30 yards downfield. WRs usually take a few years to develop so getting a good one now makes sense to me.

I was for picking Michael Floyd a few years back, if you could go into the way back machine would you take Floyd or Gilmore in a redo scenario?

Edited by agardin

I'm confused! What exactly has any of those QBs done this year that would tell you they're better than Manuel?

its a joke. for all the every qb in next years draft is way way better than EJ Manuel crowd.

they mostly stink, just like the next crop will have their fair share of stinkers.

Thanks Kiko.

My apologies to Nisher.

I didn't see the part about moving Lewan to right tackle.

My spaciness might have to do with having only 3 days off in the last 5 weeks (today is the 4th), and battling the flu.

Sorry again Nisher.

Thanks again Kiko for moderating.

I'd better take a nap. It would probably help.

No problem. I always enjoy your posts and appreciate your perspective and objectivity.

I am a BPA kinda guy but I agree with the big receiver crowd. The Bills need a physical WR that can win the contested ball 30 yards downfield. WRs usually take a few years to develop so getting a good one now makes sense to me.

I was for picking Michael Floyd a few years back, if you could go into the way back machine would you take Floyd or Gilmore in a redo scenario?

Texas A&M Mike Evans 6'5" 225 lbs, 4:58 40. fit that bill :lol:

"The 6-foot-5, 225-pound redshirt sophomore lit up the Crimson Tide defense for 279 receiving yards on seven catches, including a 95-yard score that sparked the Aggies in the second half."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000247405/article/film-room-breaking-down-texas-am-wr-mike-evans

A few mocks have Evans going to the Bills, sounds good to me.

He is one big dude, tough to see him losing the jump ball. If he can learn to catch the ball well away from his body like Tony Gonzales he will be very hard to defend in traffic.

as of right now id be thrilled if we were able to go

1.cj mosley ILB-pair him up with kilo in the middle and he's so versatile and plays sideline to sideline can rush the passer and awesome win pass covg.(mack would be a cool pick but i don't think this team really needs another pass rusher as much as it could use another stud versatile LB who cn play in the middle with kiko. wouldn't be mad at mack tho)

2.austin seferian jenkins TE- guy has got awesome size and is another great athlete in the basketball mold of graham-gates-gonzo type guys. 6'6 265. his stats were down a bit because they really focused on price and sankey and he was a afterthought. he's a really solid blocker too. shut down anthony barr in a few 1-1s when uw played ucla this year.

3.david yankey OG-we need OL help mainly at LG so this is pretty obvious.

4.marion grice RB- as bad as it is to start thinking about the future past fred we should be addressing it soon. he will be 32 going on 33 next season.

5. colt lyerla TE- he's got some big off field concerns but his talent can't be denied. he's probably the next aaron hernandez tho

6-7 could be a punter and some other flier pick much like lyerla but of the draft were today id be pretty happy with this draft