Pettine outcoached himself

Regressed.

I like when people say "we should just have covered Gonzalez", who (per the stats) happens to be one of the best receivers EVER in the NFL. Dude, if only teams had thought to properly cover him, he'd be a footnote in NFL history.

But I digress...

On the TD reception the Bills lined up Ron Brooks and he played him man to man with no inside help. If he beats Brooks on a fade pattern to the corner so be it. Not much a safety could help on that type of pattern. But an inside slant? There should have been a safety or ILB taking that passing lane away.

The play that was the most mind boggling is the one where Kiko was on their RB on a go route and there was no help over the top. On the play the Bills rushed 3. How the F can you rush 3 guys and still end up with an LB man to man on a deep pattern? Thankfully the ball was dropped but it's inexcusable all the same.

The play that was the most mind boggling is the one where Kiko was on their RB on a go route and there was no help over the top. On the play the Bills rushed 3. How the F can you rush 3 guys and still end up with an LB man to man on a deep pattern? Thankfully the ball was dropped but it's inexcusable all the same.

My 13 year old son Sam was watching it with me, and right before the play began he said, "Look - Kiko Alonso is covering a WR. I'm worried about that."

They put Mario Williams over the center twice. The first time he sacked Ryan and the second time he hit Ryan. The center was at a complete loss to handle Williams. The best way to pressure Ryan is up the middle. I kept expecting them to go back to it and they kept lining him up away from the play. Dareus wasn't getting pressure, the pass rush was all or nothing today and Ryan was throwing with anticipation.

the interior (especially center) has been a DISASTER every time ive watched atlanta this year. theyve swapped players, etc... nothing has fixed it. i was hoping for a massive day out of dareus.

While Pettine is much better than Wannstedt, he clearly outcoaches himself a lot.

I noticed several times yesterday, where the Bills put THEMSELVES into unfavorable matchups in the secondary. Manny Lawson trying to cover Roddy White in the slot. Ron Brooks trying to handle Tony Gonzalez down the field. Etc.

While Pettine is much better than Wannstedt, he clearly outcoaches himself a lot.

I noticed several times yesterday, where the Bills put THEMSELVES into unfavorable matchups in the secondary. Manny Lawson trying to cover Roddy White in the slot. Ron Brooks trying to handle Tony Gonzalez down the field. Etc.

if you want a complex scheme, you have to ask you guys to do unorthodox assignments. thats the tradeoff. some days it works better than others.

To be fair, Brooks had TG completely covered. He had his hand tied up but it's hard to stop a perfect pass and catch to a TE. Especially when you have to help Stephon "Here's a first down for ya" Gilmore.