TJ Graham

PNW_Bills_Fan

I don't care whether it is olympic speed or not as long as he is faster than the DBs covering him and catches the ball!!!!!

http://www.rantsports.com/fantasy/2013/11/19/fantasy-football-getting-to-know-marquise-goodwin/

There’s fast, there’s really fast and then there’s Marquise Goodwin.

Marquise Goodwin is the fastest player in today’s NFL, and he’s probably the fastest player the league has seen since Bob Hayes. Goodwin finished in 10th place at the London Olympics in the long jump and led all rookies at this year’s combine with a 4.27 second 40-yard dash. Goodwin had a 43-yard touchdown this past Sunday against the New York Jets which marked the third time in seven gamesicon1.png this season that he has had a touchdown of 40 yards or longer. The Bills’ rookie receiver is a true deep threat — think Mike Wallace in his Pittsburgh Steelers days — who can score from anywhere on the field at any given moment, and he’s now been on the field for at least 30 snaps in each of his last four games, including 60-of-69 snaps this past weekend. Goodwin runs a very basic route tree, but his speed is such a threat that he almost always finds himself open on underneath routes because defenders are so conscious of not getting beat deep. And when he does go deep he’s often so much faster than his defender that it doesn’t matter if they know where he’s going or not.

When Goodwin caught his 43-yard touchdown this past weekend he was lined up on the right side right at the Jets 45-yard line with Antonio Cromartie about three yards off of him in one-on-one man coverage. Cromartie correctly anticipated that Goodwin was running deep and he turned to run down the field a split second before the ball was even snapped. EJ Manuel took a three-step drop and immediately threw the ball deep to Goodwin who caught it at the five-yard line and stepped into the end zone as Cromartie hopelessly dove at his heels. Goodwin was so fast that he basically gave Cromartie a five-yard head start to run 45 yards down the field and by the time Goodwin had made it to the five-yard line he had distanced himself from Cromartie (who ran a 4.47 40-yard dash back at his combine) by about two yards.

Goodwin should receive plenty of playing time as long as Stevie Johnson and Robert Woods are out with injuries, and his speed is such a game changer that he should have a meaningful role in Buffalo’s offense moving forward regardless. I think that Goodwin is a must own in any league that is 14 teams or deeper, and he is also a must own in all keeper/dynasty formats. Savvy owners in 10-12 team leagues may also want to consider rostering Goodwin as the Bills come out of their Week 12 bye; it would not surprise me if Goodwin is a top 30 receiver going forward, and I would rather have him at this point over Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith, Cecil Shorts, Stevie Johnson, Tavon Austin, Mike Wallace, Dwayne Bowe and Greg Jenning

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/fantasy/2013/11/19/fantasy-football-getting-to-know-marquise-goodwin/?84PyWufOG4DG0Pls.99

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham has great speed, attitude, & work ethic, but i have questioned his pick from the start . He didn't make waves in college & went against every thing Buddy was looking for in a WR except for the speed part .

I think B.Kaufman, D. Nelson, should have had more consideration as far as keeping them here . Kaufman was said to have soft hands & either would have been a welcome sight in the red zone .

I was hoping that Easley would get more work but that is yet to be seen, we need better size/speed at the position like Boldon/ AJ Green type that like Buddy said they are open when they are not open .

The D. Nelson move still baffles me , the guy had good out put, was coming off a injury, good team guy, & we could have kept him for a decent price, what was not to like ???

SUch is B/Lo football !!!

Carl Lewis disagrees with you.

different generation. And there are always outliers. Long jump is about velocity. Not speed. To keep your rate of motion up while projecting yourself up and out from a launching point is not just pure speed. I am not by a laptop but I imagine 10.24 is maybe fast enough to get to the Olympics representing any 2nd tier country and half of the first tier.

He is fast. No discrediting that. But he would get burned in a 200. He would do well in a 100. He would do great in a 60m. I am not sure his 400 time would be relevant but I would imagine he would succeed there.

That's what I meant...If he is not healthy, he is going to be phased out and if he is, then he will more than likely be the slot WR.

Being the slot receiver is not a demotion. Victor Cruz has been the Giants' slot receiver his whole career. Marques Colston was Marrone's slot receiver in NO when he was setting the world on fire. The Bills have been using Stevie in the slot because he's our primary receiver. Woods, Goodwin and Graham give us speed on the outside that will open the middle of the field for Stevie, just as Marrone did for Colston years ago.

Eventually, years from now, I could see Woods usurping SJ for the slot WR / primary target role. But this season Stevie is the guy when healthy.

The fact Goodwin can do things like burn Antonio Cromartie deep, and tracks/adjusts to the ball in the air well, is going to be huge for us in the future in terms of pulling safeties toward the sideline and away from the primary.

Being the slot receiver is not a demotion. Victor Cruz has been the Giants' slot receiver his whole career. Marques Colston was Marrone's slot receiver in NO when he was setting the world on fire. The Bills have been using Stevie in the slot because he's our primary receiver. Woods, Goodwin and Graham give us speed on the outside that will open the middle of the field for Stevie, just as Marrone did for Colston years ago.

Eventually, years from now, I could see Woods usurping SJ for the slot WR / primary target role. But this season Stevie is the guy when healthy.

The fact Goodwin can do things like burn Antonio Cromartie deep, and tracks/adjusts to the ball in the air well, is going to be huge for us in the future in terms of pulling safeties toward the sideline and away from the primary.

I think the slot is the perfect place for SJ. Have SJ, Woods and Goodwin all played at the same time yet this year besides the very beginning of Game 1?

I think the slot is the perfect place for SJ. Have SJ, Woods and Goodwin all played at the same time yet this year besides the very beginning of Game 1?

Did they all play against Pittsburgh? Either way it's a good point, we really haven't yet seen the whole machine working the way it was designed. Now with a bye week, with Manuel perhaps hitting a groove, and some vulnerable defenses on the schedule we could be in for something of a show.

Also to stay on topic, Graham certainly has his flaws but he's gotten a lot better from year 1 to 2. I think he'll be just good enough as a deep threat to keep around for depth.

Allow me to very briefly stray off topic again to say that of the top 10 in the 2012 Olympic Long Jump I can find evidence of 5 of them including Marquise and our two Brits including our Olympic Champion Greg Rutherford (we don't win as many medals as you guys you have to let us bask in it) having run in competition 100m. The slowest of those 5 was 10.74 and they were actually in order except for Marquise who had the quickest 100m PB at 10.24 but came 10th. The second quickest 100m runner was Rutherford who won the long jump. Now that might be coincidence of course it isn't definitive proof that you need speed to be good at the long jump, but it's clearly a major help if you want to do it the top level and is certainly important.

Getting back on topic to TJ... I still think he should have been on the field more last year. The fact is Chan had no idea how to use him and Fitz couldn't really throw a deep ball anyway but more snaps last year would have helped iron out some of the flaws that still exist in his game. I think he is the 4th guy up at the moment but he steped up on Sunday and made some playes for us so you have to be pleased with that.

not so much. And to the rest of you, speed is not an issue with long jump like you'd think. Form is huge speed gets you to the line but the ability to fire the muscles in sequence and deliver the power needed to launch yourself 27+'... that's not as much speed as it is power

Long jump is about velocity. Not speed.

Someone needs to re-take physics.

Did they all play against Pittsburgh? Either way it's a good point, we really haven't yet seen the whole machine working the way it was designed. Now with a bye week, with Manuel perhaps hitting a groove, and some vulnerable defenses on the schedule we could be in for something of a show.

Also to stay on topic, Graham certainly has his flaws but he's gotten a lot better from year 1 to 2. I think he'll be just good enough as a deep threat to keep around for depth.

Woods was out

I find it to be very interesting that every Graham thread is hijacked by discussion of Goodwin, and every Goodwin thread is hijacked by discussion of Graham.

That is why I posted that link to the article on Goodwin to his thread as well... I felt bad for burying it here in case people saw a thread titled "TJ Graham" and didn't open it, lol

I've run and been very successful doing all of the trqck and field events. I know what I'm talking abiut

I wouldn't think of disparaging your knowledge of track. You make some good points there -- for example, that there's more to long jump than just speed. I'm disparaging your knowledge of physics. A couple of points:

1.) Given the same jump, the faster you're moving at the start of the jump, the father the long jump will go. This is true as long as Newton's First Law holds, and it's been holding steady for a while. Obviously a lot of the distance is determined by the jump itself, and that's why not all good sprinters are good long-jumpers and vice versa.

2.) I have no idea what definitions you were using for speed and velocity up top, but they definitely aren't the accepted ones.

All right, enough off-topic posting from me. Sorry for the tangent.

I wouldn't think of disparaging your knowledge of track. You make some good points there -- for example, that there's more to long jump than just speed. I'm disparaging your knowledge of physics. A couple of points:

1.) Given the same jump, the faster you're moving at the start of the jump, the father the long jump will go. This is true as long as Newton's First Law holds, and it's been holding steady for a while. Obviously a lot of the distance is determined by the jump itself, and that's why not all good sprinters are good long-jumpers and vice versa.

2.) I have no idea what definitions you were using for speed and velocity up top, but they definitely aren't the accepted ones.

All right, enough off-topic posting from me. Sorry for the tangent.

speed and velocity - maybe backwards. I'm not tom the physicist.

But with regard to speed. Of course the faster you run the further you'll go but that doesn't mean youre fast if you can jump far. In his combination he is fast and he can jump far. But to bring this full circle you really cannot say the guy has Olympic speed. There is no truth to that.

I don't even know what "Olympic speed" is.... it's a strange concept. Surely only Usain Bolt really ran at Olympic speed in 2012 because he was the Olympic Champion?

You did say speed is not that important for the long jump though. That's the bit I don't agree with. It's clearly an important factor.

I don't even know what "Olympic speed" is.... it's a strange concept. Surely only Usain Bolt really ran at Olympic speed in 2012 because he was the Olympic Champion?

You did say speed is not that important for the long jump though. That's the bit I don't agree with. It's clearly an important factor.

landing is the biggest factor. Jumping second. Speed third.