Marone "Babies" EJ

Wattdogg35

I don't think that anyone would disagree with the "babied" comments. Here's the thing and it's pretty simple. If the coaches didn't want him checking down to Jackson or Chandler on third and long, then those routes would not be run. That should tell us two things really. The coaching staff hasn't taken the training wheels off yet. We don't know the reason. Maybe he's just not ready to have full command of the offense at this point. Second and more important though is that Manuel himself by virtue of the fact that he IS checking down clearly isn't comfortable. When all is said and done, it has to start somewhere.

Nah. even Manning, Brady and Brees have checkdown options on nearly every pass. I am convinced there are being plays called downfield but he is taking the safe option.. As someone else sais he is babying himself with his lack of trust in receivers and maybe even his abilities. I tell you what, when Hackett, Marrone, Whaley and Brandon are sitting around the nightly buffett at the office...i bet they are talking about this same stuff.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I thought that the coaches were holding EJ back, now I'm more convinced that it's self imposed. Tuel & Lewis threw downfield, EJ not so much after Carolina. EJ's game has deteriorated since the start. The checkdowns are not the first option of the play calls. For whatever reason, EJ has been too timid in his play. If he's reverting to his college habit of only throwing to open WRs, he's going to struggle and no amount of playcalling change will help that. He needs to develop more confidence to trust his receivers.

But the chicken to that egg question is that his accuracy is horrible right now, and he doesn't seem to trust his throws into tighter coverage.

It's not all on Hackett & Marrone. EJ needs to take his own training wheels off.

.....This I agree with

It was best said yesterday that a good QB throws his receivers open. Manuel doesn't have that type of accuracy. He's looking more and more like Akili Smith than a viable QB.

Edited by Spiderweb

There are two things I would like to see/not see from here on out.

1. More intermediary and long passes. Open up the field. Put 4 WR's on the field, even if one is Spiller lining up wide. Our offense with EJ has not only been restricted to the short game, it's BORING and unimaginative.

2. Not one more friggin read option play, and WAY less runs out of the shotgun. EJ needs to work from under center and our RBs, especially Freddy, need to get the ball while moving toward the line.

I would have liked to see Lewis start this game. He showed toughness and control. EJ was scared. Hate to say it but when you throw for 6 when you need 8 and throw for 4 when you need 6 something is wrong. Really wrong. That is not Hackett. Routes are run wrong. No roll outs when the preasure was there all day. What is wrong. The whole O is messed up. Lewis ran a better ship. I actually hoped Lewis would have started the second half. He seemed to have it togeather.

Lots of great points made in this thread.

What confuses me is the approach of games to all of our QB's.

When Lewis & Tuel were playing, you got the feeling that the coaches told them to go out and win the game at all costs.

Yesterday with Manuel, it looked like the coaches told him to stay to a specific game plan, do not improvise, and try not to lose.

That's how it looked to me, but I am only guessing.

We need E.J. Manuel to play and learn, that is the only way I see him getting better.

The coaches have got to be more creative on the offensive play calling, and not run a bunch of the same plays over and over.

Because the coaches game plan against the opponent's defense, the weather, etc. as well as based on what the QB wants to do and feels comfortable doing based on the personnel on this field. They were calling plays based on the defense they were seeing and all of those other factors. For those who watched on TV, they don't show the whole field so we don't know yet who was open downfield until we see the All-22. He may have run the plays that were called, or he may have missed his 3rd read. The wind played a big role in what they could do as well.

EJ Manual has been smacked in the mouth and now we have to see how he responds over the rest of the season. His career is at an early crisis. If EJ does not perform he will face a QB competition next season against a high and possibly number one draft choice. Brandon's hand will be forced because if EJ does not show enough season ticket numbers will crash and Brandon cannot let that happen. Even if the Bills trash the rest of the season you know a top college QB will bring the fans out and the Canadians to town. At the end of the day the NFL is show business and don't ever forget it.

I used to think it was Hackett's play calling until I saw Tuel and Thad play. Those two took shots down field.

EJ is holding himself back is what I've came to realize. Captain checkdown 2.0!

If he doesn't take risks, he's not the answer.

This what I believe to be the case also how many times have we heard EJ called an audible. But they usually stand behind it. I think EJ is afraid to fail; ie afraid to throw the ball unless the receiver is wide open. No timing routes, afraid to throw the ball to a spot before the receiver makes his break. I guess it could come down to his 1st game back and no chemistry with the receivers. But it seemed that way early on also.

We have nothing to lose now, throw the damn ball. Let's see just what we have. If it's not there we should highly consider a quarterback with our 1st pick again next year.

The coaching staff do not look at Thad or Jeff as franchise QB's. With that being known to all of us, once again the coaching staff aren't as concerned about Jeff or Thad's mental state of mind. Yes you are right in thinking that they "baby" EJ, because that is exactly what they are doing. They don't care if Tuel or Lewis lose their confidence, because they are for lack of better terms throw away players. They drafted EJ, so he is an extension of their persona. If EJ looks bad, they also look bad. They have to protect EJ so he doesn't lose confidence. In my opinion, QB's are kind of like boxers in the fact that either they have a knock out punch or they don't. If you don't, it is not likely that miraculously you are going to acquire one. Either a QB has the long ball or he doesn't. IMO EJ doesn't have it.

It was best said yesterday that a good QB throws his receivers open. Manuel doesn't have that type of accuracy. He's looking more and more like Akili Smith than a viable QB.

Interestingly, that was exactly what people were seeing him do through the first couple of games(throwing his receivers open) and saying that we haven't seen a QB do that in Buffalo for over a decade.

IMHO EJ learned in week 3 against the Jets that things are a lot more difficult in the NFL and he seems to have regressed accordingly. He now needs to reestablish trust in himself, his abilities and the teammates around him.

It was said by PIT defenders that film study showed EJM likes "open" receivers rather than throwing them open. Throwing WR's open isn't about accuracy, it's more timing and anticipation of where a WR will be. That an inexperienced QB with different injured WR's in and out of practice/lineup and missing valuable practice time himself may not be comfortable "throwing WR's open" is hardly a surprise. So he looks for guys who are already open. Unfortunately not many of our WR's get consistent separation (like many PIT WR's were able to yesterday), so sensing where EJM will throw is probably not hard for defenders. Good film study/ analysis by PIT staff. It does not mean EJM will not be a good QB. Just that his confidence level with defenses/ Bills WR's is at a very basic level right now. I think you've misinterpreted what was said to suit your hypothesis.

After watching Tuel and Lewis, it has to be that EJ is checking down WAY to quickly. If this continues, (and even if it dosen't) the Bills must draft or trade for a QB. We need a franchise type QB.

Ej did check down way too quickly yesterday. That was his main problem. Everything was rushed and his anticipation was way off. Most of the stuff they ran was timing stuff and he seemed out of sync with the timing all day. All the reads seemed rushed, yet his checkdowns were two early and the intermediate routes he threw late. His mental clock was just way off.

I think that the coaches hammered into him that he could not take chances with his body; that he needed to stay healthy and on the field from now on. Sage advice, yes, but I think it bled over into his throwing game. He went from trying not to get hurt to being afraid to make mistakes. He needs to know the difference.

The high fade was simply inexperience. That pass had no chance in yesterday's wind. Look what happened later on when Roethlisberger threw a corner route into the end zone: instead of lofting it, he threw it fairly flat and it cut through the wind right into his receiver's hands. EJ needs to realize this isn't Tallahassee; this is the Northeast.

I think that the coaches hammered into him that he could not take chances with his body; that he needed to stay healthy and on the field from now on. Sage advice, yes, but I think it bled over into his throwing game. He went from trying not to get hurt to being afraid to make mistakes. He needs to know the difference.

The high fade was simply inexperience. That pass had no chance in yesterday's wind. Look what happened later on when Roethlisberger threw a corner route into the end zone: instead of lofting it, he threw it fairly flat and it cut through the wind right into his receiver's hands. EJ needs to realize this isn't Tallahassee; this is the Northeast.

I thought the high fade looked like a lack of touch from not throwing practice reps for a month. It was just way off. Not sure if wind was a huge factor for such a short pass. Just looked like the guy hadn't spent a lot of time throwing fade routes in recent weeks.

I am sick and tired of people making excuses for him oh he was off for 3 or 4 weeks so he's bound to be rusty give me a break the guy couldn't even throw a 3-yard pass.

Hmmm You have higher expectations than me. I was absolutely certain EJM would look rusty /out of sync, and possibly even like he regressed in the time away. I wasn't surprised at all. He looked a bit worse than I thought he might, but not surprising.

Wonder if the players are "frustrated" because they feel Thad is a better option and EJ isnt ready. I notice EJ stares down receivers alot and is slower on his reads than I others. Thad can throw a deep ball and isnt afraid. Not many check downs from Lewis

Wonder if the players are "frustrated" because they feel Thad is a better option and EJ isnt ready. I notice EJ stares down receivers alot and is slower on his reads than I others. Thad can throw a deep ball and isnt afraid. Not many check downs from Lewis

I doubt it. They won one game with Thad. I'm sure standing side by side EJM could out throw Thad. Lewis threw check downs too. We don't exactly have Brandon Marshall in our WR corps, so Bills QB's may check down. But anyway, they won games with EJM. If they continue to struggle, frustration could happen. I'm sure players are frustrated with the season overall, but they don't think like fans do. Most players think "what can I do better" than who should get benched. But Thad is a UDFA and EJ was a high pick. That likely means EJM will be given a good deal more time and Lewis would only be a fill in till the next draft pick if it came to that. Lewis has a slow drop back/release and is prone to losing fumbles. His physical limitations will likely mean he's a career backup in the NFL. The Bills will roll with EJM until they have a better option on the roster.