The Bills and the last wildcard spot

1billsfan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went through the remaining schedules of all of the teams that are still in contention for that last wildcard spot and I think there's the possibility out there that the Bills can run the table and get in. With the full knowledge that the Bills record does not reflect how good of a team this is, and looking at our soft remaining schedule, this team could realistically win the next 6 games and have a shot to get in the playoffs this year if they of course finish the season by beating New England on the road (not out of the realm of possibilities coming off a 6 game winning streak, right?). Here's the landscape...

The "10 win and your in" model...

Jets have to go 5-2 to get to 10 wins - possible and they're the front runners

Dolphins are imploding - no way

Browns need 6 out of 7 - no way

Ravens need 7 out of 8 - no way

Titans need 6 out of 8 - they still have to play the Colts twice and the Broncos so no way

Chargers need 6 out of 8 - they still have to play the Broncos twice so no way

Looking at the schedules of those teams in contention, the Jets have the best shot to get to 10 wins. The rest are just as long of a shots as the Bills running the "soft schedule" table if not longer shots. Now I know that this team ripping off 6 straight wins for a wildcard playoff birth showdown at New England in the last game sounds like a fantasy, however I can certainly envision a long Bills winning streak looking at that schedule. If they can beat the Steelers and the Jets (a very tough game now) to start the roll, then anything is possible.

As I said in my other thread....

Buffalo beats the Jets, Jets lose once to Miami.....and Buffalo beats Miami then Buffalo passes the Jets. To get the WC you need to be in 2nd place....

I appreciate the work that the OP put into this thread but I do not see playoffs this year. A successful season in my mind would be wins over the Jets, Dolphins and Pats. Even if the Pats had nothing to play for. The first step to success is beating the teams in your Division. It is imperative that the Bills gain ground on the AFC East. Give me those three wins and I will declare a successful season.

I appreciate the work that the OP put into this thread but I do not see playoffs this year. A successful season in my mind would be wins over the Jets, Dolphins and Pats. Even if the Pats had nothing to play for. The first step to success is beating the teams in your Division. It is imperative that the Bills gain ground on the AFC East. Give me those three wins and I will declare a successful season.

This was definitely a "glimmer of hope" thread and not a "prediction" thread. If I had to give a percentage of this actually happening it would be around a 5-10% chance. Slim, but it's out there given the winnable games on their schedule.

This was definitely a "glimmer of hope" thread and not a "prediction" thread. If I had to give a percentage of this actually happening it would be around a 5-10% chance. Slim, but it's out there given the winnable games on their schedule.

Yep, I understood that, anyone who is smart enough to do the analysis is smart enough to understand the odds of it happening :) Nice work I enjoyed the post! Edited by Trader

Yep, I understood that, anyone who is smart enough to do the analysis is smart enough to understand the odds of it happening :) Nice work I enjoyed the post!

Thanks, it's nice to still have a dream scenario to hang on to. If they don't beat the Steelers then the odds go straight to 100-1...LOL

The most important thing of all (even beyond making the playoffs this year) is that the rest of this year EJ Manuel gives promising indications that he's the coming a true franchise QB like we had with Jim Kelly.

If we win out and still miss the playoffs, I will nonetheless be thrilled.

A few years ago (maybe over 15 years now--yikes!) the Falcons did something similar-- went on a great win streak at the end of the season, and the next season were primed for and made a Super Bowl run.

Me too. Esp. this week. I have a Bills poster hanging in my office, and I don't want to be taking crap from Steelers fans all next week.

I just love how Bills fans consistently underrate the Jets; a team that regularly punches us in the face by the way. EJ played a horrific game in the first matchup, and got punished by their D-line to boot. Oh and by the way, they have the #1 rush defense in the NFL...they certainly have the horses to neutralize CJ and Fred. Why anyone thinks that game is a sure win is beyond me.

True. I still don't think the Jets are good but Ryan is a defensive genius. That said, they basically picked on our 6th cb for like 250 yards and 2 tds, destroyed our oline, yet we were tied 20-20 in the 4th. I really don't think it's a stretch to think a healthy Bills team at home plays a much better game.

Well played sir. Never get tired of watching that. :worthy::thumbsup:

He probably does. He got fired that year and missed out on coaching Peyton for the majority of his career.

If we win out and still miss the playoffs, I will nonetheless be thrilled.

A few years ago (maybe over 15 years now--yikes!) the Falcons did something similar-- went on a great win streak at the end of the season, and the next season were primed for and made a Super Bowl run.

"Thrilled" might be a bit of an exaggeration for me...but "pleased" or "optimistic" would be fairer words for me to describe this same scenario. Like many, or all, of us - I would love to see the BILLS in the playoffs if for no other reason than to feel like we're not the Cubs of the NFL, always on the outside looking in with virtually no hope of changing that design. However, if they were to win the rest of their games, which to me is highly doubtful just based on the parity in the NFL, I would be very happy with the progress we've seen and all the more about the indication of what EJ means to this team and Offense. I do agree that if EJ played Sunday against the Chiefs, the BILLS most likely secure that victory...but who knows what could of, would of happened had he played. For now, I hope EJ plays on Sunday, I hope he can stay healthy the rest of the year, and I hope the BILLS can win in any way for any reason no matter what it takes....just to see them win. Progress is this year's mantra...progress is this year's measuring stick...and progress will be the Off-season's focus....

Next year, no matter how this year ends...will be the tipping point for this organization and fan base.

I just love how Bills fans consistently underrate the Jets; a team that regularly punches us in the face by the way. EJ played a horrific game in the first matchup, and got punished by their D-line to boot. Oh and by the way, they have the #1 rush defense in the NFL...they certainly have the horses to neutralize CJ and Fred. Why anyone thinks that game is a sure win is beyond me.

I don't know about "sure win" but odds are we won't have Justin Rogers and Aaron Williams as our two starting corners for this one.

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills 35m

Schein sees Bills still in Wild Card mix http://wp.me/plmrg-96K

I just went through the remaining schedules of all of the teams that are still in contention for that last wildcard spot and I think there's the possibility out there that the Bills can run the table and get in. With the full knowledge that the Bills record does not reflect how good of a team this is, and looking at our soft remaining schedule, this team could realistically win the next 6 games and have a shot to get in the playoffs this year if they of course finish the season by beating New England on the road (not out of the realm of possibilities coming off a 6 game winning streak, right?). Here's the landscape...

Titans need 6 out of 8 - they still have to play the Colts twice and the Broncos so no way

Looking at the schedules of those teams in contention, the Jets have the best shot to get to 10 wins. The rest are just as long of a shots as the Bills running the "soft schedule" table if not longer shots. Now I know that this team ripping off 6 straight wins for a wildcard playoff birth showdown at New England in the last game sounds like a fantasy, however I can certainly envision a long Bills winning streak looking at that schedule. If they can beat the Steelers and the Jets (a very tough game now) to start the roll, then anything is possible.

Awesome post my friend! I was signing on for this exact analysis. It is a way long shot, but with everyone elses road being difficult too, we could sneak in!

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills 35m

Schein sees Bills still in Wild Card mix http://wp.me/plmrg-96K

Schein must have had a good time in WNY. He always gives the Bills love.

Awesome post my friend! I was signing on for this exact analysis. It is a way long shot, but with everyone elses road being difficult too, we could sneak in!

The Washington professional football team was 3-6 last year and made the playoffs led by a rookie QB with injuries issues. I'm jsut saying. :nana:

Even tho anything is possible the Bills chances are slim to none at this point.

They had a chance to beat NE, Browns and Chiefs and didn't finish. This team could easily be 6-3 instead of 3-6.

If they do make the playoffs then Coach Marrone should be coach of the year.

So based on your post, it appears that a 9-7 team may enter the playoffs. If so, who's shaping up to have the advantage? Is it divisional record or strength of schedule?

Even tho anything is possible the Bills chances are slim to none at this point.

They had a chance to beat NE, Browns and Chiefs and didn't finish. This team could easily be 6-3 instead of 3-6.

If they do make the playoffs then Coach Marrone should be coach of the year.

We had a better shot winning the bengals game than the browns. But, you're right....

It is just really sad to think that with a healthy EJ's even mediocre play we win the Cleveland game (I refuse to believe that we lose that game without EJ getting hurt) and certainly one of Cincinnati/More than likely Chiefs. Those 2 wins put us at 5-4 with a excellent chance at 10 wins and even a half decent shot at 11. Just a shame.

That would be progress, I agree