Coach wants to see you, Bring your playbook

For years those were the words any player dreaded hearing as he knew he was about to be cut. Got me wondering these days is entire playbook handed to them on a tablet stored on a cloud. When a player gets cut, the coach calls the IT department and tells them turns off Joe's access and now he has a tablet good for nothing but streaming movies.

Anyone have any idea's if playbooks have become E-books?

For years those were the words any player dreaded hearing as he knew he was about to be cut. Got me wondering these days is entire playbook handed to them on a tablet stored on a cloud. When a player gets cut, the coach calls the IT department and tells them turns off Joe's access and now he has a tablet good for nothing but streaming movies.

The iPads have proprietary software installed which would allow the organization to control all data they send out to the players. I'm sure most data they receive and access is date and time sensitive.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Great question! Sorry, I cannot really provide much in way of an answer, but just wanted to give this a bump because I've often wondered about this myself.

The iPads have proprietary software installed which would allow the organization to control all data they send out to the players. I'm sure most data they receive is date and time sensitive.

That would be an awful way to find out you were just released. You're going through film and suddenly your access is denied. Ouch!

This link has some interesting information on the security of team's ipad playbooks ... http://profootballta...afe-and-secure/

I like this excerpt:

"This doesn’t mean teams won’t at least try to come up with ways to access the information. Football routinely incorporate military principles and mindsets, compelling coaches like Bill Belichick to always say as little as possible for fear of divulging too much to the opposition. It’s understandable, then, that some teams will be looking and listening and hoping for whatever edge they can get, even if it means hacking iPads."

Art Modell once said "I'll pay anyone here $10,000 if they can tell me what Ernie Adams does." when Adams and Belichick worked with the Browns. Adams is known to have a passion for military history and probably does incorporate military principles and mindsets in securing the Patriots' playbook -- and possibly hacking opponent's playbooks, as well, for all we know. This is just the sort of thing someone like Ernie Adams does. I hope Buffalo has a guy who is equally as diligent in protecting the Bills playbook.

The comments at the end of the link are good, too -- "I wonder how many players use “password” as their password?" -- so true.

Edited by ChasBB

That would be an awful way to find out you were just released. You're going through film and suddenly your access is denied. Ouch!

We had a guy at the company I work for call in to the help desk early one morning to get his login password reset because for some reason it wasn't working. Turns out he was let go later that morning. Oops.

The iPads have proprietary software installed which would allow the organization to control all data they send out to the players. I'm sure most data they receive and access is date and time sensitive.

There are industries, much more sensitive than the sports industry, using iPads. You can bet that what you wrote is the absolute minimum. Probably, the whole machine is wiped, and I mean WIPED.

I doubt the bills play book is in pdf format. It is probably on a cloud only service with inability to take a screen shot from the iPad. That said someone could use an external camera to screen shot the entire play then convert to pdf. If you want a brief dumb downed play book see Madden 25.