Jonathan Martin AWOL, Incognito suspended

uncle flap

More on Incognito. Reading between the lines, it sounds like he may have paid this woman off to avoid a charge of sexual assault.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/07/woman-accused-incognito-of-battery-at-dolphins-golf-outing/

I think that pretty explicitly says that he paid her to shut up. Whether he did anything criminal or just was avoiding bad press in a he said she said could be a different story

• Replies 763
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More on Incognito. Reading between the lines, it sounds like he may have paid this woman off to avoid a charge of sexual assault.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/07/woman-accused-incognito-of-battery-at-dolphins-golf-outing/

Some of the comments at the bottom of the story are pretty funny there.

No link but mike and mike reading a piece on mmqb written by a former teammate. Among other things mentioned JM was the first rookie he ever saw refuse to pay for dinner, standoffish to the group, echoes a lot of the sentiments from teammates. Says AFTER the incident Richie chased JM out of the cafeteria to see if he was ok and essentially got the "it's not you it's me" type of answer.

One disclaimer - that it's a teammate that knew incognito for over a decade dating back to playing O line together at Nebraska, but JM only a season. Also the a wild guess is that his source on anything since he was cut by the dolphins is very possibly RI given their long history.

There are parts of it that I question and parts that ring very true. Here's one of the latter (bolded part that rings true):

"Incognito was made a scapegoat for the hell coming down on the Dolphins organization, which in turn said it knew nothing about any so-called hazing. That’s the most outlandish lie of this whole thing. The coaches know everything. The coaches know who’s getting picked on and in many cases call for that player to be singled out. Any type of denial on that side is ridiculous."

The explanation about the Las Vegas trip (paid for in advance, Martin committed and then backed out after it was paid for) rings very true. And this: "Personally, I know when a guy can’t handle razzing. You can tell that some guys just aren’t built for it. Incognito doesn’t have that filter."

The parts that don't ring true to me is "oh, he was OK being called !@#$ and so forth, Incognito called him that to his face and he laughed". I've been there done that on the ol' "go along to get along", be civil and polite when inside you're seething. I think he had it right when he said "personally I know when a guy can't handle razzing - you can tell that some guys just aren't built for it". Which begs the question, if he could see that and others on the team could see that, why didn't they step in and put a stop to it, tell Incognito "look, we can all see the kid can't take it, lighten up and try a different approach"?

I think the conclusion is sound:

"There might be a team that gives him a chance because he’s a good person, but the players will reject him. They’ll think, If I say one thing he’s going to the press. He’ll never earn the respect of teammates and personnel in the NFL because he didn’t take care of business the right way.....But all over the league, problems are hashed out in house. Either you talk about it or you get physical. But at the end of the day, you handle it indoors."

Darryl Talley said the same thing on Twitter: "IMO they both need 2 b off my team. Incognito 4 being a punk & calling Martin n-word & Martin 4 not at least trying 2 whoop his ass 4 sayin"

http://profootballta...ment-of-martin/

Cornwell claims in the statement that an unnamed teammate said this to Martin: “We are going to run train on your sister. . . . She loves me. I am going to !@#$ her without a condom and c** in her c***.”

Honestly, what did you think NFL locker rooms were like? I'm not gonna say these things are appropriate, but they are obviously WWF-style exaggerations. I actually think the extreme nature of these make it seem LESS serious. It's boorish, and unnecessary, but these don't seem like serious threats.

Isn't this the same crap they do in Marine boot camp?

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

@NFL_ATL

Jonathan Martin's advisor releases statement http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap

"Jonathan Martin's toughness is not at issue," Cornwell said in the statement. "Jonathan has started every game with the Miami Dolphins since he was drafted in 2012. At Stanford, he was the anchor for Jim Harbaugh's "smash mouth" brand of football and he protected Andrew Luck's blind side.

"The issue is Jonathan's treatment by his teammates. Jonathan endured harassment that went far beyond the traditional locker-room hazing. For the entire season-and-a-half that he was with the Dolphins, he attempted to befriend the same teammates who subjected him to the abuse with the hope that doing so would end the harassment. This is a textbook reaction of victims of bullying. Despite these efforts, the taunting continued. Beyond the well-publicized voice mail with its racial epithet, Jonathan endured a malicious physical attack on him by a teammate, and daily vulgar comments such as the quote at the bottom. These facts are not in dispute.

"Eventually, Jonathan made a difficult choice. Despite his love for football, Jonathan left the Dolphins. Jonathan looks forward to getting back to playing football. In the meantime, he will cooperate fully with the NFL investigation."

"Quote from teammate: "We are going to run train on your sister. ... She loves me. I am going to f*** her without a condom and c** in her c***."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

@NFL_ATL

Jonathan Martin's advisor releases statement http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap

"Jonathan Martin's toughness is not at issue," Cornwell said in the statement. "Jonathan has started every game with the Miami Dolphins since he was drafted in 2012. At Stanford, he was the anchor for Jim Harbaugh's "smash mouth" brand of football and he protected Andrew Luck's blind side.

"The issue is Jonathan's treatment by his teammates. Jonathan endured harassment that went far beyond the traditional locker-room hazing. For the entire season-and-a-half that he was with the Dolphins, he attempted to befriend the same teammates who subjected him to the abuse with the hope that doing so would end the harassment. This is a textbook reaction of victims of bullying. Despite these efforts, the taunting continued. Beyond the well-publicized voice mail with its racial epithet, Jonathan endured a malicious physical attack on him by a teammate, and daily vulgar comments such as the quote at the bottom. These facts are not in dispute.

"Eventually, Jonathan made a difficult choice. Despite his love for football, Jonathan left the Dolphins. Jonathan looks forward to getting back to playing football. In the meantime, he will cooperate fully with the NFL investigation."

"Quote from teammate: "We are going to run train on your sister. ... She loves me. I am going to f*** her without a condom and c** in her c***."

Malicious physical attack too? That's a big development.

Edited by NoSaint

Malicious physical attack too? That's a big development.

It certainly is, although I wonder if it is something that can also be chalked up to hazing. EDIT: Not that any of the individual incidents can't or shouldn't be considered hazing, but put all together AND considering it apparently wasn't perceived as "normal" hazing by Martin makes it plain to me there's something more going on than Martin being a poor sport and/or mentally weak or whatever you want to call him.

I'll admit, my stance has evolved as more info has been made available. However, I still think it boils down to the players, coaches, and mostly RI as the apparent ringleader, not recognizing that their brand of "tough love" wasn't being received as intended, nor achieving the desired outcome. Maybe more info will clear this up, but I'm still basically baffled that there wasn't anyone who was able to see how Martin was taking it, or was willing to intervene.

Like Florio mentioned in that article, I agree that it seems pretty unlikely that Martin's ultimate goal is some sort of lawsuit settlement. That isn't to say he won't sue down the line - I think the Dolphin's and NFL's response/resolution will play a big part in that. But if his goal was simply to build a case, he isn't helping himself by releasing statements or evidence publicly.

Edited by uncle flap

http://profootballta...ns-golf-outing/

woman accused Incognito of touching her vagina with a golf club... but now she signed a confidentiality agreement so she can't talk about it. sounds like he bought her off.

edit: apologies, someone posted this already. maybe i just wanted to post about vagina in a completely journalistic context.

Edited by MarkKelso'sHelmet

There's a really well written editorial by former NFL player Ryan Riddle on Bleacher Report that's well worth reading. Unfortunately I keep getting an error message when I attempt to link it.

There's a really well written editorial by former NFL player Ryan Riddle on Bleacher Report that's well worth reading. Unfortunately I keep getting an error message when I attempt to link it.

Great article. One difference is that Riddle could easily be cut, but Martin represented a serious investment by the Dolphins, so his performance reflected poorly on anyone that had to do with bringing him in. The Dolphin organization had a lot more at stake with Martin, and it seems to have brought out more extreme measures from them. Normally, I think a guy like Martin would have been cut long ago, but his draft position made that too embarrassing.

http://profootballta...ns-golf-outing/

woman accused Incognito of touching her vagina with a golf club... but now she signed a confidentiality agreement so she can't talk about it. sounds like he bought her off.

edit: apologies, someone posted this already. maybe i just wanted to post about vagina in a completely journalistic context.

hey, it's just locker-room golf course culture! The pussification of America continues! The Dolphins made him to do it!

So racism from 70 years ago makes it okay to abuse players now? That line of thought is completely bizarre.

Jackie Robinson endured death threats. Martin endured teammates exclaiming they would have sex with his sister w/o a condom. Robinson was able to battle through hatred from teammates, executives, opponents, fans, and media. Martin had to battle against childish comments and lunch room stupidity.

The fact that you can't see that difference is pretty "bizarre".

Martin was physically abused?? Was he shoved after goaline work in practice? Was he whipped and chained? We don't know! The fact that he has not had so much as a black eye over the past 2 years and that these comments came directly from his lawyer doesn't say much for the severity of the abuse.

Jackie Robinson endured death threats. Martin endured teammates exclaiming they would have sex with his sister w/o a condom. Robinson was able to battle through hatred from teammates, executives, opponents, fans, and media. Martin had to battle against childish comments and lunch room stupidity.

The fact that you can't see that difference is pretty "bizarre".

Martin was physically abused?? Was he shoved after goaline work in practice? Was he whipped and chained? We don't know! The fact that he has not had so much as a black eye over the past 2 years and that these comments came directly from his lawyer doesn't say much for the severity of the abuse.

So because Jackie Robinson had it harder he should just shut up? Unless you have it worse than anyone in history, it's really not a problem and you are weak?