Hackett should not be O.C. and Q.B. coach

ny33

Today's game exemplified this glaring issue for me. A rookie O.C., with a rookie H.C. and two rookie Q.B.s, should not be serving double-duty as Q.B. coach. Tuel looked composed, has good footwork and clearly knows the playbook well, but his mechanics and arm strength leave a lot to be desired. I would hope that a good Q.B. coach can help immensely with that. Buffalo messed up in this regard.

I think Hackett can be a good NFL OC, however, he's not where he should be on gameday. In the booth he is lacking key components that all great OC's share. He's not "feeling" the game flow as well. He is unable to listen to what his players are saying after each series, and lastly, for someone so rah rah, he can't fire up his team if he's in the damn booth. I think of all the mistakes Hackett and Marrone are making, having him call the game from the booth is a big one worth looking at making a change on.

Buffalo has been competitive playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers at QB, including a practice squad player and undrafted rookie.

They lost to Cincy in OT, beat a solid Miami team who beat the Bengals, and out played and outclassed the leagues only remaining undefeated team in the league with 470 total yards and 0 sacks allowed.

Not sure how you can criticize Hackett for being a poor QB manager.

Tuel is an undrafted rookie who made undrafted rookie mistakes. That wasn't Hackett's fault. If anything, he should be applauded.

Edited by dezertbill

Buffalo has been competitive playing with 2nd and 3rd stringers at QB, including a practice squad player and undrafted rookie.

They lost to Cincy in OT, beat a solid Miami team who beat the Bengals, and out played and outclassed the leagues only remaining undefeated team in the league with 470 total yards and 0 sacks allowed.

Not sure how you can criticize Hackett for being a poor QB manager.

Tuel is an undrafted rookie who made undrafted rookie mistakes. That wasn't Hackett's fault. If anything, he should be applauded.

I'm not criticizing Hackett for being a "poor Q.B. manager." I'm saying that I think we might be able to get significantly more out of our QBs with a QB coach in addition to Hackett. Hackett can, obviously, still add value to helping QBs develop, but we need a QB coach as well.

I'm not criticizing Hackett for being a "poor Q.B. manager." I'm saying that I think we might be able to get significantly more out of our QBs with a QB coach in addition to Hackett. Hackett can, obviously, still add value to helping QBs develop, but we need a QB coach as well.

Heck, I'll criticize him for being a poor QB manager!! Because he most certainly is, and is becoming a Chan Gailey clone by thinking he has a top QB under center and asking them to carry the game and throw more then running it.

2013 Passing attempts 273. vs Rushing attempts 265. EJ, 42 attempts in that Jets game. Now considering how raw and inexperienced his QB's are, he sure leans on them to win games. The most these rookie QB's should be throwing the ball is 20-25 times a game, and not 39+ times a game. Jeff Tuel an undrafted free agent QB threw 39 times last game. That's just nucken futs to try and force a rookie QB to carry the team. especially when you have the talent of Spiller, FJax, Choice, Summers.

Some Bills fans have wanted the guy fired for his play calling this season. I'm getting close to that point.

Heck, I'll criticize him for being a poor QB manager!! Because he most certainly is, and is becoming a Chan Gailey clone by thinking he has a top QB under center and asking them to carry the game and throw more then running it.

2013 Passing attempts 273. vs Rushing attempts 265. EJ, 42 attempts in that Jets game. Now considering how raw and inexperienced his QB's are, he sure leans on them to win games. The most these rookie QB's should be throwing the ball is 20-25 times a game, and not 39+ times a game. Jeff Tuel an undrafted free agent QB threw 39 times last game. That's just nucken futs to try and force a rookie QB to carry the team. especially when you have the talent of Spiller, FJax, Choice, Summers.

Some Bills fans have wanted the guy fired for his play calling this season. I'm getting close to that point.

His number of throws is inflated a bit. After the Bills fell behind in the fourth, after the fumble/TD, they had to play catch up. He threw it 16 times after that point. Which, if the game didn't get out of hand like that, I'm sure wouldn't of happen. And previous to that point, he wasn't being asked to carry the team. But when a team falls behind, a team unfortunately has to go to the air.

If you were watching the game the commentators even commented in the 3rd quarter how run heavy the Bills were, in comparison to the Chiefs.

Hackett shouldn't be blamed for Marrone's indecisiveness on 1st & goal at the 1. You run it 4 times, & play action or naked boot one of those plays.

I really didn't have as much of a problem with this play (although I do have to see it on my DVR again). Actually, I should say I don't mind the pass, but the pass into the middle of traffic was stupid - it should be a fade route.

But, what I was going to say is I had a major issue with the fourth down call for a long pass down the side. We needed a first down and you're trusting Tuel to throw for a touchdown in that situation??

His number of throws is inflated a bit. After the Bills fell behind in the fourth, after the fumble/TD, they had to play catch up. He threw it 16 times after that point. Which, if the game didn't get out of hand like that, I'm sure wouldn't of happen. And previous to that point, he wasn't being asked to carry the team. But when a team falls behind, a team unfortunately has to go to the air.

If you were watching the game the commentators even commented in the 3rd quarter how run heavy the Bills were, in comparison to the Chiefs.

Buffalo was still within one score until 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter, so it's not like Tuel was down 3 TDs playing against prevent. Taking into account the level of talent at the position and the output the team has gotten from the position this year thus far I think Hackett has done great.

I think Hackett can be a good NFL OC, however, he's not where he should be on gameday. In the booth he is lacking key components that all great OC's share. He's not "feeling" the game flow as well. He is unable to listen to what his players are saying after each series, and lastly, for someone so rah rah, he can't fire up his team if he's in the damn booth. I think of all the mistakes Hackett and Marrone are making, having him call the game from the booth is a big one worth looking at making a change on.

470 yards of offense by Hackett against KC defense. Case closed. I like him. You are nitpicking. Rookie QB mistake on the pick 6 and great strip of TJ cost them the game.. simple as that. those two things don't happen we win, Bills have 500+ on offense and Hackett is suddenly HC material in the media. It was a "turnover game" just let it go and hope EJ is back soon so we can get some decent QB play.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Hackett shouldn't be blamed for Marrone's indecisiveness on 1st & goal at the 1. You run it 4 times, & play action or naked boot one of those plays.

Marrone shouldn't be blamed for Hackett's play calling, and Hackett shouldn't blamed for lack of execution.

And for the record: a run was called and it was clear Tuel audibled out of it to a pass, It was confirmed by Hackett after the game. The play Hackett gave to him to audible to if Tuel saw blits was a great call, but Tuel didn't see Stevie in the end zone.

How anyone can put that on the coaches is beyond me. Like Tuel said after the game, that was 100% on him.

470 yards of offense. zero sacks. 4th string qb. Facing best defense in football.

Blame the execution if you want. For an offense that is predictable and easy, teams sure have trouble stopping it

Also Marrone is the QB coach. He said so himself

When did marrone say he was the QB coach? If he is(he isn't) he sure didn't work with the QBs very much in training camp.

yes the 500 yards against the leagues number 4 defense shows he sucks. Btw stevie was wide open on the td play. In fact I see guys wide open all the time and the qb's missing the throws are the recievers droping the ball. We had 5 drops yesterday and still had 500 yards\\\\

Edited by Tintonfallsbillsfan

2013 Passing attempts 273. vs Rushing attempts 265.

273 passes vs 265 rushes, and you think the QB is being asked to carry the team? That is one of the most ballanced offenses in the NFL as far as playcalling goes.

Today's game made it clear that this is a massive issue for the team. E.J.'s footwork is awful, and Marrone/Hackett clearly don't, and shouldn't, have the time to spend on refining it properly. Also, a real Q.B. coach with no other responsibilities could probably have told Marrone/Hackett that E.J. wasn't ready to play this week.

Marrone has made some pretty serious mistakes in assembling his staff that outweigh the positives (the positives being Pettine, Donnie Henderson, and a few other bright spots).

470 yards of offense by Hackett against KC defense. Case closed. I like him. You are nitpicking. Rookie QB mistake on the pick 6 and great strip of TJ cost them the game.. simple as that. those two things don't happen we win, Bills have 500+ on offense and Hackett is suddenly HC material in the media. It was a "turnover game" just let it go and hope EJ is back soon so we can get some decent QB play.

Hackett is no match with the better defensive minds in the game. The first three drive starts were at the Steelers 20 and 44 and then our 40. On the road and only 3 points to show. They should have went for the kill early. Instead, he walked right into the bear trap with his predictable play calling and without a fight. Regardless of EJs rust, Dick LeBeau had this guy's number before the first snap.

And what's the deal with not using Spiller? Healthy now and proclaimed the team's game breaker and only gets 8 rushing attempts. Hackett has no pulse for his RBs in tough games.

Go back to the college ranks to develop, this team has no time to develop inexperienced coaches.

Don't have time to look it up but before the opener media asked him who would work with QBs on the sideline and he said he would

That's like being the substitute qb coach. We need a guy who's only job is to work with the QBs not someone that has a bunch of other responsibilities and will get to the QBs when he gets to them. Hackett is the O-coord and QB coach.