Realistic expectations for Tuel on Sunday?

KikO M G

With Thad doubtful and Tuel getting the majority of first team reps this week, it's fair to say there's a 75% chance that Tuel starts Sunday. What is a realistic expectation for how he will do against the league's best defense?

My best hope for him is that he throws the ball almost never, only occasionally, and makes very safe passes like screens. If Spiller and Jackson can pound the ground and Tuel can avoid turnovers, we may be able to compete.

Unfortunately I fear he will get picked off and/or strip sacked multiple times which is why I think a win would be improbable. Hope I'm wrong.

Your thoughts?

Edited by Right Manuel for the Job

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 or 9 in the box, man coverage on the outside, and they'll be sending guys from every direction to confuse the kid. All it takes is one play over the top of that defense to back them off. I look for Hackett to dial it up early.

GO BILLS!!!

My thoughts are he's taken a lot of 1st team reps and I expect big things from him Sunday, making a mess of a so-called good defense....and racking a convincing win against the most over-rated team in over a decade.

I said realistic expectations but I hope you're right.

8 or 9 in the box, man coverage on the outside, and they'll be sending guys from every direction to confuse the kid. All it takes is one play over the top of that defense to back them off. I look for Hackett to dial it up early.

GO BILLS!!!

Between Stevie and Goodwin, he certainly has the personnel to get it done. Just don't know if he has the arm or the accuracy.

We are up sht creek without a paddle

No. Uh uh. Not with this defense we arent. Not at home we arent. Thad/Tuel/Flynn only needs to manage this game for an easy 6 point victory. No way in hell are the Chiefs gonna beat this team.

Remember....a QB does not a team make.

Its gonna be a long trip home for the 6-1 Chiefs. Its a fore-gone conclusion.

I said realistic expectations but I hope you're right.

Between Stevie and Goodwin, he certainly has the personnel to get it done. Just don't know if he has the arm or the accuracy.

Graham can stretch a defense, too. He has shown he has the arm in camp and pre-season. I hope he has the balls when he sees that coverage.

GO BILLS!!!

No. Uh uh. Not with this defense we arent. Not at home we arent. Thad/Tuel/Flynn only needs to manage this game for an easy 6 point victory. No way in hell are the Chiefs gonna beat this team.

I agree that the Chiefs are not the Saints. Unlikely they put up 30 points. But they also don't turn the ball over. Smith is a master at managing the game and protecting the football. My fear is that the Chiefs will only have to play safe, not necessarily well, to win. Hard to see how we score more than 10 points with Tuel.

Edited by Right Manuel for the Job

I'll say 12 for 26, 118 yds, 0 td's, 1 int, 4 sacks, 1 fumble Bills run well and hang tough but lose something like 24-13. Hopefully he goes to Chandler early and often. If Lewis plays my prediction would be completely different.

Edited by zow2

I said this in another of the like ten QB threads out there.

This is what Thad gives us each game: (1) 4-5 good throws; (2) 3-4 sacks; and (3) 2-3 turnovers.

I certainly think Tuel can match that. I also think Tuel will probably take fewer sacks than Thad would take, but probably make some riskier throws.

In the end, realistically, I could see him at about 220 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTS, and 2 sacks.

(add one more for me).

If teams send the house every time--which they have been doing-- I would think a screen could work pretty well.

Its been very frustrating JR. Good grief, last year the screens to CJ were our most potent weapon nearly all season long. I just cannot for the life of me understand why this regime has all but abandoned that play. Especially against aggressive defenses as you suggest.

BUT..be that as it may...there will be white pom-poms in the stands...and we are 2-1 in white pom-pom games. LOL !!

Love the optimism, and I agree out defense will be tough at home. I just don't believe our offense will be able to move the ball effectively and consistently. Unless we can hold them to under 10, I'm skeptical with Tuel at QB. I have a feeling that if they get up 7, it's gonna feel like an insurmountable lead. Also, if Tuel turns it over early, then offense will go into extreme conservatism mode and Tuel will be terrified to let it rip.