Thad listed as doubtful

tito1

He was signed for a reason, poor college past or not, its in the past. The coaches see something in him. I trust them more than I trust TBDers. No offense ;-)

The coaches have tried everything in their power to keep him from playing. Started a guy from the PS, added another QB to the PS and signed Matt Flynn. That is not a ringing endorsement for Tuel. If they thought that he was ready at all they would have just elevated Thad to back him up. Of he 4 QBs that the Bills have including the PS he would be my 4th option. He just doesn't have the physical skills.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one has ever said that.

He was signed for a reason, poor college past or not, its in the past. The coaches see something in him. I trust them more than I trust TBDers. No offense ;-)

Yeah, the reason was a long term development project. If you trust the coaches, funny how Marrone has gone to great lengths to avoid putting Tuel anywhere near the field again this year. Think about it.

I for one consider Tuel "a Bill" more than I do Flynn.

Fan way of thinking, I think Tuel deserves a shot at starting. There's nothing wrong with putting Flynn in, if Tuel is not getting the job done.

I trust Tuel more than I do Flynn at this point (which is sad on it's own), so I vote for Tuel to get the start if Thad can't go...

People are ridiculous for saying Tuel is going to be horrible, what are you basing that on? Tuel's game against the Browns, of which, coaches admittedly say he had 0 reps during practice that week? Give me a break!

Not arguing with your projection that we are "toast" but to judge Tuel based on his performance against the Browns is difficult. He only had limited snaps and coaches spent all their time with EJ. This week, however, he has spent time with the first team (WR's, TE's, RB's). He has had significant snaps. Let's see how he does (if he does, in fact, play).

This....

Cant agree more HamSandwhich. Cut the kid a break. He's a unrestricted free agent signing who got as you said ZERO reps before the Cleveland game.. At least let the guy play a half and see what he can do.

BigPappy

adding to these posts is that lets not forget the bills had a short week to prepare and they barely got enough time to get the starters any reps let alone backups...this is one of the problems of Thursday night games..no rest time and no rep time

Tom Brady was 20-5 in the two years that he started at Michigan. Jeff Tuel was 4-22 in the 3 years that he started at Washington State. So just based on that, Tom Brady was indeed better in college

Thanks for the follow up. Based on their records, Brady was much better. I would question why he was a 7th rounder in the draft. I really don't follow college football so I don't know much about players when the come out of the draft.

:lol: :lol: Love the Tuel/Brady references! Hilarious!

For the record, I was not comparing the two. Not that you said I am, I just want to be clear. I don't think Jeff Tuel will be another Tom Brady. The reference was simply to make the point that draft position and college performance means very little. I am sure dozens on this boards can list off first round QB's that were said to be up and coming super stars in the NFL that fell flat on there a$$.

BigPappy

Putting Tuel in there against the #5 defense in the league sounds like a pretty solid plan, though.

I get your point, but what other choice do the Bills have?

Even if Lewis plays, just how affective will he be? If he takes another hit to his ribs, he could be done for the rest of the season.

I'm not that confident in Tuel, but I'm not hearing anything about Flynn being ready either.

We'll just have to take whatever the Bills give us.

UGH! All of this because Manuel did not step out of bounds.

But.... what if Tuel comes in and lights up the Chiefs with lots of bombs to our speedy receivers? Does it mean we give EJ a few more weeks to "heal" up?

As fair a question as the ones last week asking what happens if Thad lights it up against the Saints I suppose ;)

Kurt Warner and Tom Brady are the worst thing to happen to people's perception. Two guys that came out of nowhere and have been successful. People forget about the hundreds of other guys drafted in that area or undrafted that have flamed out. Look at the QBs that have won the Super Bowl in the last 15 years and where they were drafted.

You know something the coaches don't?

That is just how I see it. From what I saw at camp and in his limited action I do not think that he can make the plays necessary to win at this level. His arm strength is lacking and he doesn't make plays with his feet. As I see it, the team has gone to great lengths to not play him. I have seen more from all of those other guys than I have from Tuel.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Kurt Warner and Tom Brady are the worst thing to happen to people's perception. Two guys that came out of nowhere and have been successful. People forget about the hundreds of other guys drafted in that area or undrafted that have flamed out. Look at the QBs that have won the Super Bowl in the last 15 years and where they were drafted.

That is just how I see it. From what I saw at camp and in his limited action I do not think that he can make the plays necessary to win at this level. His arm strength is lacking and he doesn't make plays with his feet. As I see it, the team has gone to great lengths to not play him. I have seen more from all of those other guys than I have from Tuel.

How you see it? What have you seen from Dixon and Flynn that nobody except the coaches has?

You cannot base how good a player is or bad on quarter of football. I know that Tuel was terrible on the road against the Browns, but he looked damn good against the Colts in one whole preseason game. The truth probably lies in between. Thad is not the difference in this game. Our defense needs to show up and show everyone Alex Smith is a phony.

Edited by bisonbrigade

Not to mention the other QB's that have been drafted in the top 3 rounds that have turned out to be serviceable backups at best.

Tuel has skills. Skills we don't even know about. Of course I'm only guessing, but how else did he make it this far? TJax was promptly cut upon Tuel's arrival. There are reasons to believe he has skills that exceed his competition. They see SOMETHING in him. Tuel's biggest limitation seems to be throwing with zip. His passes in the Browns game looked about half the speed of EJ's, but the lobs he threw were all accurate. The would-be TD to Chandler was so well-placed that holding Chandler was the only option. He also had a nice screen pass to FJ. If Hackett designs a run-heavy gameplan with deep bombs and screen passes peppered in, Tuel just may survive.