OT: Greatest Live Album

Nirvjam

I'd add the Ramones-It's Alive, a two record set recorded on New Years eve 1977 in London...a record that everyone should own, Ramones fan or not. It pretty much showcases why they were the greatest live band of all time.

Nice call Johnny; they were one of my very first concerts.

It was in the basement of a small theatre that was torn down not much later and my buddy lost two teeth 10 years before "mosh pits". :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It was in the basement of a small theatre that was torn down not much later and my buddy lost two teeth 10 years before "mosh pits".  :)

209171[/snapback]

I have seen the Ramones 14 times. What an awesome live show!

It was in the basement of a small theatre that was torn down not much later and my buddy lost two teeth 10 years before "mosh pits".  :)

209171[/snapback]

They were the absolutely tightest live band of all time. Never, ever had a bad show. I have that record on a frame on my wall. I only play the CD.

Hon mention to Lyle Lovett-Live in Texas  :)

209159[/snapback]

Absolutely. A great album. Francine Reed's song is something special, and I wonder how many people know that's Ricky Lee Jones singing with Lyle on "North Dakota." I've seen him perform seven or eight times, and she was with him twice. A great live performer.

The Police Live, 2 cd set. 1st disc is a concert in Boston at the Orpheum theater in 1979 before they were popular and obviously is alot of thier old stuff. 2nd disc is at the Omni in Atlanta in 1983 during thier Synchronicty tour. Both are fantastic.

Somebody has to throw Little Feat's "Waiting for Columbus" in here.

I'd also have to put in John McLaghlin/Al DiMeola/Paco DeLucia "Friday Night in San Francisco".

Hon mention to Lyle Lovett-Live in Texas and Linton Kwesi Johnson-In Concert with the Dub Band.

Edit: Whoops, sorry macdaddy. That's what happens when you just leave your browser open for when you can get back to it.  :)

209159[/snapback]

Great call w/Friday Night in SF. I'd add:

Pixies - Pixies at the BBC

Stevie Ray - Live Alive

Bill Evans - Live at the Village Vanguard

Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison

Miles Davis - Agharta

Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense

Nice.

Agree with the Heartbreakers and the Stooges choices.  Johnny Thunders is a personal favorite of mine, and the Stooges, well what can you say.  Metallic 2xKO has the extra tracks left off the KO release, including a haunting version of "Open up and Bleed."

I'd add the Ramones-It's Alive, a two record set recorded on New Years eve 1977 in London...a record that everyone should own, Ramones fan or not.  It pretty much showcases why they were the greatest live band of all time.

Also, Lou Reed- Take No Prisoners, recorded at The Bottom Line, 1978.  Lou is particularly on with his stage schtick in this one (his bantering with the crowd is hysterical) and the band is phenomenal.  The versions of Satellite of Love and Coney Island Baby are the best I've heard...I want to play football for the coach...

209162[/snapback]

Wow, I would place Take No Prisoners right up there! :w00t: Most people would say R&R Animal, but I too prefer Prisoners. That live version of Coney Island Baby is the best thing Lou's ever done IMO. "The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passion and intensity, now you figure out where I'm coming from." :) 1969 VU Live is also high on my list.

As for It's Alive, I remember buying the import LP from Play It Again, Sam's and wearing out my copy. :w00t:

Agree with the Heartbreakers and the Stooges choices.  Johnny Thunders is a personal favorite of mine.

209162[/snapback]

I was working for Carrier in Syracuse in the mid-80's & had tickets to see Thunders play the Lost Horizon. Unfortunately, the show was cancelled. :) The excuse given was that Johnny had broken his hand, but we all figured he OD'd.

It is hard to get. It has a song called "Feel So Good" which is a 12 minute or more Hot Tuna (Jorma and Cassidy) piece, complete with guitar and bass solos.

If you like Hot Tuna, this is for you.

209194[/snapback]

If you like Hot Tuna, you need Double Dose. I bought the import CD many moons ago, though it's missing a track that was on the album, it's still great.