Diagnosing the Bills pass protection problems

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2013/10/30/5045976/bills-vs-chiefs-buffalo-protection-problems-vs-blitz

"Yes, Erik Pears was beaten soundly by Cameron Jordan for a sack, and Cordy Glenn was walked backwards into Lewis by Junior Galette to force a hit and an overthrow. Other than that, the Bills' offensive line was fairly competent in pass protection against the Saints. Buffalo's problems keeping Lewis clean largely stemmed from their inability to handle the blitz."

"Flip through the gallery above to see what we're driving at: the Saints routinely sent five, six and even seven pass rushers at Lewis. Buffalo's backs and tight ends missed blocks. Ill-timed (and poorly executed) play fakes slowed down Lewis' ability to recognize the pressures. When Lewis did diagnose the blitzes pre-snap, he struggled to correctly identify and hit his hot reads."

I noticed Scott Chandler and the Bills RB's having problems picking up the blitz against the Saints. I'm not sure how much Lee Smith is used during the game, but I feel he is a much better blocker than Chandler and should be used more in pass protection. Will that solve the problems in picking up the blitz? Who knows, but Marrone & Hackett need to come up with a solution, otherwise the Bills QB's will continue to take a pounding.

2 tight end sets would have helped and honestly the run blocking wasn't great either. The hurry up scheme needs 2 TEs IMO, Marv had it right. 2 wrs and a RB (or if FJ and CJ, since that creates a good kind of mismatch are healthy 2 and only 1 TE). I really think it isn't that hard or complicated, NE* has been doing it for a few years, with a twener TE/FB. But I do think at least some of this has to do with QBs who are a bit inexperienced, as well. Both don’t get the ball out quick enough and seem to be only doing 1/2 field reads. This isn;t the NCAA and they need more info and pressure put on them from the staff IMHO.

Edited by bowery4

You can expect to see the same against KC and everybody else until we show we can counter.

I love the idea of 2 TE or more jumbo sets as I think we can abuse KC on the ground. I don't want Chandler anywhere NEAR being isolated in pass pro.

And this isn't Drew Brees we're facing, either.

GO BILLS!!!

One more example of the maxim that great football teams are built from the trenches back. Don't think upcoming opponents aren't noticing this problem and will take advantage of the weakness. Particularly Kansas City and next week. Sounds like there is a lot of work to be done before KC.

http://www.buffaloru...oblems-vs-blitz

I noticed Scott Chandler and the Bills RB's having problems picking up the blitz against the Saints. I'm not sure how much Lee Smith is used during the game, but I feel he is a much better blocker than Chandler and should be used more in pass protection. Will that solve the problems in picking up the blitz? Who knows, but Marrone & Hackett need to come up with a solution, otherwise the Bills QB's will continue to take a pounding.

Disagree. If you do that, you are signalling run. Or at least telegraphing that the TE is not a receiving threat on this play.

Better is to use the TE (chandler) to beat the blitz on a few hot-reads early. That will slow the pressure.

Ergo, better QB play is the answer. I mean, look at slide 13/15. Pretty much everybody was open except the place Thad was staring at. And it seems he always stares and locks-in to his left. If true, best believe others have noticed.

Beating the blitz is 90% on the QB; we don't have one that can do it right now.

This.

Edited by maddenboy

Chandler continues to be a horrible blocker both pass and run-wise.

As has been pointed out by network announcers, the Bills use Lee Smith like an extra tackle.

It would be nice if Chris Gragg got more snaps but he's probably not a great blocker at this point in his career so the Bills don't really have the ability to go 2 TEs as a way of improving their blocking.

One thing I noticed about Cordy is usually once, early in the game he'll be beaten or partially beaten.

However it seems that after that one play that he's gauged his opponent's strength, speed, etc and that that player never gets close again.

To the OP, it's an interesting look at protection and how much a QB is able to make his blockers look good or bad based on his own skills.

I think most fans tend to overlook that aspect of pass protection.

Chandler continues to be a horrible blocker both pass and run-wise.

As has been pointed out by network announcers, the Bills use Lee Smith like an extra tackle.

It would be nice if Chris Gragg got more snaps but he's probably not a great blocker at this point in his career so the Bills don't really have the ability to go 2 TEs as a way of improving their blocking.

One thing I noticed about Cordy is usually once, early in the game he'll be beaten or partially beaten.

However it seems that after that one play that he's gauged his opponent's strength, speed, etc and that that player never gets close again.

To the OP, it's an interesting look at protection and how much a QB is able to make his blockers look good or bad based on his own skills.

I think most fans tend to overlook that aspect of pass protection.

Interesting observation and a good way to characterize his play in some games. The fact that he seems to adjust quickly tells me a lot about his football acumen. Not bad for a guard playing out of position.

GO BILLS!!!

Can you please explain this?. If guys like Chandler or Fred miss blocks, what could the QB have done?

One way to beat a blitz is a screen. Worked for Bungles and Saints against us. Doesn't seem that Hackett Jr does screens though. Another is keep a RB and FB and maybe an extra tight end in. Maybe use a Tackle at TE to help block.

I'm hoping that this week Coach Marrone and Hackett Jr. put their offensive genius minds together and put together a game plan heavy on surviving the blitz, because I'm sure whoever starts at QB will be getting a lot of pressure.

It's not all Thadeuss' fault IMHO. Some blame must also go to the OC and the OLine and the blitz picker uppers to do a better job.

Go BILLS !!!

Edited by reddogblitz

http://www.buffaloru...oblems-vs-blitz

"Yes, Erik Pears was beaten soundly by Cameron Jordan for a sack, and Cordy Glenn was walked backwards into Lewis by Junior Galette to force a hit and an overthrow. Other than that, the Bills' offensive line was fairly competent in pass protection against the Saints. Buffalo's problems keeping Lewis clean largely stemmed from their inability to handle the blitz."

"Flip through the gallery above to see what we're driving at: the Saints routinely sent five, six and even seven pass rushers at Lewis. Buffalo's backs and tight ends missed blocks. Ill-timed (and poorly executed) play fakes slowed down Lewis' ability to recognize the pressures. When Lewis did diagnose the blitzes pre-snap, he struggled to correctly identify and hit his hot reads."

It wasn't all the QB's fault, but he sure played a big part of why they failed.

Thad Lewis had great difficulty in reading the defense, setting protections, making hot reads. Isn't that a huge part of being a QB in the NFL? The O line didn't play all that good, and the all around blocking by TE's & RB's wasn't all that great either. This same thing happened against the Jets with EJ.

I can only think these same set of players will not do very well against the league best pass rushers in the KC Chiefs, no matter who the QB is!

Can you please explain this?. If guys like Chandler or Fred miss blocks, what could the QB have done?

One way to beat a blitz is a screen. Worked for Bungles and Saints against us. Doesn't seem that Hackett Jr does screens though. Another is keep a RB and FB and maybe an extra tight end in. Maybe use a Tackle at TE to help block.

I'm hoping that this week Coach Marrone and Hackett Jr. put their offensive genius minds together and put together a game plan heavy on surviving the blitz, because I'm sure whoever starts at QB will be getting a lot of pressure.

It's not all Thadeuss' fault IMHO. Some blame must also go to the OC and the OLine and the blitz picker uppers to do a better job.

Go BILLS !!!

Pre-snap read of the defense and understanding what is going to happen on the field. Peyton Manning is a master at this and its almost like playing chess in determining what the defense is going to do, and then calling out audibles to change the play, and or making hot reads to set the receivers, calling and setting the O line protections. Making the determination of which player is blitzing and which is dropping into coverage, and which is going to give you single coverage on which receiver.

It certainly doesn't help when the best receiver on the team is hobbled, and the next best WR is a rookie.

Yep, he panics easily and has his eyes towards the rush instead of down field. To top it off he fumbles on roughly half the sacks he takes. If he doesn't improve- and fast- KC and the Jets are going to eat him alive.

KC, Pitt and the Jets will all bring waves of blitz's - we must pick them up, and we must hit the hot read, or we will go 0-3 in the next three weeks

And all three teams have DCs who are masters at generating pressure with Blitz.

Go BILLS !!!

Others did a nice job addressing your questions, so I'll just make one comment regarding the bold. Their game plan against both NO and Miami had outlet options for Lewis in most cases; options that were designed to make the defense pay for blitzing. He was unable to take advantage of them in many situations.

And you're right: it isn't all Thad's fault. I'm simply saying that it's the QB's responsibility to beat the blitz far more than anyone else's. Right now, he can't get it done.

Others did a nice job addressing your questions, so I'll just make one comment regarding the bold. Their game plan against both NO and Miami had outlet options for Lewis in most cases; options that were designed to make the defense pay for blitzing. He was unable to take advantage of them in many situations.

And you're right: it isn't all Thad's fault. I'm simply saying that it's the QB's responsibility to beat the blitz far more than anyone else's. Right now, he can't get it done.

He does need help from the RBs who could chip these on-coming blitzers and provide the outlet valve. Unfortunately, the bills RBs did not do that in the last game.