(OT) Puppy question

Toledo Bill

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

punishment wise or what? For all the dogs i've had, when they do something bad, try this...fill a pepsi can with 5-10 pennies and shake the can at the dog when they are bad...for whatever reason, the dogs hate that noise and are scared of it...has worked for our dogs...

punishment wise or what? For all the dogs i've had, when they do something bad, try this...fill a pepsi can with 5-10 pennies and shake the can at the dog when they are bad...for whatever reason, the dogs hate that noise and are scared of it...has worked for our dogs...

208879[/snapback]

Yes, just how to best train them including scolding of some kind. I know the age old "rubbing their face in it" is not the way to go.

Thanks

I've never done an OT message, but this question might generate some good and for sure... smart ass answers. Any good hints for housebreaking a nine week old female puppy?

Thanks.

208878[/snapback]

Puppies need to urinate as soon as they wake up.

You have to be there when she awakens, and go running outside with her to where you want her to go. This gets them into the habit of going in a specific place.

When she is through, give her a treat.

It has always worked for me. Good luck.

Puppies do not have full bladder control until they are about six months old. The best way to housebreak them is regular visits outside with plenty of praise when they accomplish the mission (even more if they do it immediately after going out). If you catch them doing it in the house, a stern "no" and a trip outside.

If you're concerned with them soiling in the house when you're not home, buy an airline crate.

how about a nine week old male puppy, they will be too busy to mess the house! :doh::(

I've never done an OT message, but this question might generate some good and for sure... smart ass answers. Any good hints for housebreaking a nine week old female puppy?

Thanks.

208878[/snapback]

take her out side let her watch you piss on a tree then let her try . ------------------------ our puppy used paper on the kitchen . floor for two weeks then we moved it out side put a brick on it for a week and that was it , after she wet on the paper we would taker her and the paper outside.

1) You need to crate train her (if you aren't already). Get a crate, keep her in there at night (and when she misbehaves during the day). DOGS DO NOT LIKE TO *GO* WHERE THEY SLEEP - she probably won't go in her crate. This will train her to hold it.

2) I recommend paper training. Put some newspaper out on the floor. If/when she starts going in the house, drag her over to the newspaper and make her go on that. Repeat, repeat. Soon, she'll start walking over to the newspaper when she has to go, which will alert you to let her outside.

3) If she doesn't start getting it that she's supposed to go outside, here's what you do: once she's paper-trained (she knows to go on the newspaper), bring some newspaper with you when you go outside with her. Then, put down the newspaper outside and have her go on it. Eventually, she'll learn to go outside, w/o the paper.

Best of luck.

Crate training is the best way to go. It establishes "their space", and believe it or not, but dogs are really pretty clean and won't want to soil their area. If you got a big dog (and a big crate), you might want to fill the crate with a box to make it more puppy sized. When they come out of the crate, they go right outside.

Also, at that age, set the stove timer for 30 min (+/- based on how long you have observed she can go) when they are out with you. Also, you might notice that she has a specific location she goes. If she ventures to that area, pick her up and take her out.

When she is outside, don't do anything "fun" until she has done her business...

208879[/snapback]

I don't recommend this. You want the dog to listen to and fear YOU, not a bag of pennies. Scaring the dog with inanimate objects is not the way to teach them to follow your lead and respect your rules. A stern "no," followed by making them do what they don't want to do (lie down, go in their crate, perhaps even putting them on the leash INSIDE THE HOUSE) should work better.

Puppies need to urinate as soon as they wake up.

You have to be there when she awakens, and go running outside with her to where you want her to go. This gets them into the habit of going in a specific place.

When she is through, give her a treat.

It has always worked for me. Good luck.

208887[/snapback]

Yes I agree with this approach. I had much more luck rewarding rather than punishing. When I housebroke my Pug I gave him a treat when he pooped outside first thing in the morning and it worked like a charm. AlthoughI had a "leg up" as it were when training a pug. Everyone knows they are vastly superior to any canine breed out there with their humongus brain!!! :doh:

It's not for punishment - it's for making them calm down.  They need personal space of their own, especially at night and when they have too much energy to be running around indoors.

208915[/snapback]

Your statement included "and when she misbehaves" - which is what I responded to. I crate train all my dogs.

any spots where she pees in the house, clean with vinegar to hide the smell of the urine. Otherwise the dog can still smell it. Just make sure the vinegar won't ruing carpets, etc.

I've also heard that a bit of tobasco after you scold them on the spot and let them smell it. That whey they'll associate the smell with scolding. Suppose to help them remember by smell. But I'd only try this if your having trouble.

I've always crate trained my dogs. Just remember, they have little bladders and they want to please you and be good dogs.

I've used the can full of pennies in the past. I had a dog that would chew things when I wasn't home. So, I would leave a shoe out that I knew she would love to chew, I would get a piece of fish line, and tie it to the cans. When she would pull the shoe, the can would fall on the ground and scare her. That taught her that she can't be bad when I'm not around. After that she didn't mess with things because she knew this can would come flying out of no where and scare her.

You just got to out smart the dog and promote behaviour you want.

I also wouldn't recommend indoor paper training. If the dog is going to pee outside, get her started peeing outside right away.

Two thoughts, consistenmt with what a lot of other people said:

1. You'll just have to accept that until a puppy hits about 12 weeks it really doesn't retain ANY training. Starting around 12 weeks they begin to pick up on what the trainiing is about, and they also get a little more bladder control. Don't expect more from her than she's got to give. (It's not like she's Drew Bledsoe.)

2. Crating works great, and it's also very humane. Dogs like their private, sheltered space (= den). You would put her in the crate after discipline not as a punishment, but as a place where she can pull herself back together. Puppies can be overwhelmed by what they perceive as the vastness of your house or yard.

Good luck, and if this is your first dog remember: yes, it's worth it.

Also, the one other thing I'd add. Is puppies grow up so quick. Enjoy the time you have to spend with your puppy. When she's 10 years old and been a great companion you'll think back to these years with great memories of when she was a little puppy. Post some pics if you got some!