Aaron Maybin - LB, Toronto Argonauts

Punch

John Elway refused to play for Baltimore. Eli Manning refused to play for San Diego. Are they me first guys too?

Not that I was a fan of either's decision, but both of their refusals had to do with not wanting to play for a crappy organization. Maybin just held out for more money.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that I was a fan of either's decision, but both of their refusals had to do with not wanting to play for a crappy organization. Maybin just held out for more money.

Dude...dude. Really? I mean, really? Have you met the Buffalo Bills?

:flirt:

I agree with the wish him luck and it was the organization's fault camp. No point in wishing him anything but the best. He had a personal tragedy in his life that could ruin anyone during his time with the Bills. And for him to still be pursuing his dream shows character.

I do have one caveat...

If he bulked up (which was rumored) using PED's to improve his workouts predraft, then he has some culpability. That was a choice to deceive on his part and he made it. The organization still shoulders blame as well, for emphasizing workouts over production/tape but he then played an active part in his mis-evaluation. All that is of course speculative.

Edited by Nikademus

I agree with the wish him luck and it was the organization's fault camp. No point in wishing him anything but the best. He had a personal tragedy in his life that could ruin anyone during his time with the Bills. And for him to still be pursuing his dream shows character.

I do have one caveat...

If he bulked up (which was rumored) using PED's to improve his workouts predraft, then he has some culpability. That was a choice to deceive on his part and he made it. The organization still shoulders blame as well, for emphasizing workouts over production/tape but he then played an active part in his mis-evaluation. All that is of course speculative.

He was considered a 1st round talent before the combine. The NFL loves pass rushers. He jsut wasn't good enough. It happens.

One of the many ham and eggers that hit the lottery because of our front office incompetance. Maybe Fitz can join him some day. At least they have something of careers. After JP, Mike Williams, Rob Johnson and a host of others left it didn't take other NFL teams much time to see their true abililities.

One of the many ham and eggers that hit the lottery because of our front office incompetance. Maybe Fitz can join him some day. At least they have something of careers. After JP, Mike Williams, Rob Johnson and a host of others left it didn't take other NFL teams much time to see their true abililities.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3850049

Obviously, it hurts because we're Bills fan but stop revisioning history. Maybin was a first round pick across the board.

He was considered a 1st round talent before the combine. The NFL loves pass rushers. He jsut wasn't good enough. It happens.

Wasn't his combine pretty crappy and his weight way down? I recall him being much heavier on his pro day. I need to check that cause I can't recall completely but I thought that was the case.

Didn't some have him as a much lower grade? Was he universally seen as a 1st round talent?

Nothing against the guy. It's not his fault that a certain NFL team grossly exaggerated his value and worth. And let's be honest - he's made more in 4 years (or however long it's been) in pro football than many of us will make in 14 years. Good luck to him; I hope it works out.

Let's be honest, it's safe to say he's made more in pro football than most of us would make in a lifetime.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3850049

Obviously, it hurts because we're Bills fan but stop revisioning history. Maybin was a first round pick across the board.

I just remember watching Ed Kilgore on the early news that day (NFL draft was still a Saturday affair then) saying "don't be surprised if the Bills go for Aaron Maybin" then showed some video of him. The big names were Arakpo, Cushing, Oher, I'd never heard of Maybin. I had a sense of dread as he looked like an oversized safety. Another combine warrior failure. Not his fault, but a terrible pick.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3850049

Aaron Curry was a bigger lock and miss. What I don't get is how Everette Brown who was also highly touted fell and fell to an appropriate spot in the second round. Why were their absolutely no flags around Maybin.?

John Elway refused to play for Baltimore. Eli Manning refused to play for San Diego. Are they me first guys too?

Definitely. Everyone who cares about the game cringes when players break the rules and start whining about where they play as if the traditions and fundamental rules of the league are below them.

Why were their absolutely no flags around Maybin.?

There were a lot of flags around Maybin, mostly related to his size/build and relative experience.

Obviously, more than a few of the big time draft pundits felt he was 1st round material but I don't think it was necessarily universal.

There were a lot of flags around Maybin, mostly related to his size/build and relative experience.

Obviously, more than a few of the big time draft pundits felt he was 1st round material but I don't think it was necessarily universal.

It was universal. There is no debate about that.

The problem isn't that the Bills drafted Maybin. The problem is the bills drafted Maybin over Orakpo.

Was at the game last Thursday night an I saw Maybin walking the sidelines in warmups with the GM when they were trying to get him signed. He does have a lot of natural talent, he just wasn't physically capable to handle being an every-down NFL end. I think in the CFL it'll be a different story because a lot of the defensive linemen are the same size as NFL linebackers, in that league you need quickness more than size.

He may even get a chance to play some meaningful football this season because the team finished first in the division and has a bye to the division final, but really struggled to get to the quarterback and finished near the bottom of the league in sacks. So the Argos will be looking for that pass rush in the playoffs and we'll see if Maybin can provide it.

Anyway, that's the update from my end. I would anticipate you guys will get the playoff game on Nov. 17 on NBC Sports if you do want to watch.

Was at the game last Thursday night an I saw Maybin walking the sidelines in warmups with the GM when they were trying to get him signed. He does have a lot of natural talent, he just wasn't physically capable to handle being an every-down NFL end. I think in the CFL it'll be a different story because a lot of the defensive linemen are the same size as NFL linebackers, in that league you need quickness more than size.

He may even get a chance to play some meaningful football this season because the team finished first in the division and has a bye to the division final, but really struggled to get to the quarterback and finished near the bottom of the league in sacks. So the Argos will be looking for that pass rush in the playoffs and we'll see if Maybin can provide it.

Anyway, that's the update from my end. I would anticipate you guys will get the playoff game on Nov. 17 on NBC Sports if you do want to watch.

Thanks for the update. I wish Maybin all the best, but I've watched quite enough of Aaron in the past, so I'll skip looking for him.

It was universal. There is no debate about that.

The problem isn't that the Bills drafted Maybin. The problem is the bills drafted Maybin over Orakpo.

I guess what I mean is--- he was not considered a particularly safe pick even if he was viewed as a 1st rounder. I know there was plenty of debate on how risky he was versus other prospects, like Orakpo.