Mesi a top 10 most popular athlete in US, soccer #2 popularity in US

John Adams

Ok so I've always wondered that myself. I obviously don't watch a lot of soccer but I do see that a lot and scratch my head. I know it's not easy to do but some of these shots aren't even close.

Oh and BTW it's not pro soccer players only. I regularly yell at an NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL player while watching on TV. "WTF dude you are the top 10/20/30 etc performers of your craft in the world and you can't <hit a wide open receiver>?"

Yep, I think that's a great point...especially when there is seemingly no reason for it at times. If there is a defender in your face or you're trying to get off a shot before an angle closes or whatever, that can be understandable...but other times it's a wide open opportunity and they botch it. This is making me think of Josh Freeman the other night...that guy was so far off the mark, I don't remember ever seeing a pro QB coming close to that level of ineptitude...even in college, I've never seen passes that far off the mark.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I'd love to hear more about it if you feel up to sharing...that's on my bucket list for sure!

Sold! :w00t:

I tried to upload some videos of two of the chants, but apparently the files are too big. In any event, it was a spectacular atmosphere. It would be fun if the Bills fans did something similar.

A few months back, I decided to pay to become what they refer to as a "Red Member." It costs 15 pounds a year as I recall. It allows me to purchase tickets 30 days before a match. They hold back a certain number of tickets for Red Members. My ticket ended up costing me 33 pounds. Once the game sells out, Red Members can also buy tickets on the Arsenal Ticket Exchange from season ticket holders who want to sell their tickets. Those go for whatever the market will bear.

When I arrived at Heathrow on Saturday morning, I was greeted by a stern immigration official. He asked me what I was doing in the UK. I held up my Arsenal hat. He immediately had a smile on his face and told me that he did not need to ask me any more questions. The rest of the conversation consisted of him giving me tips etc. regarding going to the game and what to do.

After I checked in my hotel near Paddington, I took the Bakerloo line to Piccadilly Circus to catch the Piccadilly line to the Arsenal station. I ran into this Indian guy who had an Arsenal scarf on and asked him for directions. Once he found out I was an Arsenal fan and had just flown in from Miami for my first game, he invited me to tag along. We got on the correct train to get to the stadium and the car was filled with Arsenal fans. Both in the train and walking through the neighborhood from the tube station to the stadium, everyone was singing Arsenal songs.

To get into the stadium, all I needed was my Arsenal Red Member card rather than an actual ticket. They have card readers around the stadium. Once my card was read, I was on my way. My seat was in the upper deck, but the view was great.

One thing that was particular interesting given some of the discussions on this board about fan conduct is that I did not see one single incident of bad fan conduct or any fights. It was quite a contrast -- as well as a bit surprising given some of the things you hear. They do not allow any drinking in the stands although you can drink in the concourse. They also keep away fans separated from the home fans. All in all, it was a great family atmosphere.

Throughout the game, the fans sang songs and different chants. You could really feel the energy.

Arsenal won the game 4-1. If you have not had a chance to see it, I would recommend watching the first goal. It was scored by Jack Wilshere, but the great thing about it was the back and forth between him and Olivier Giroud. Arsene Wenger said that it was the best goal that he has seen at the Emirates and one of the best team goals since he has been at Arsenal.

After the game, I walked around the stadium and went to the "Armoury" -- one of the Arsenal team stores -- and spent too much money. There were fans at the stadium from all over the world. It was great how people from different cultures, countries, religions etc. are all brought together because of Arsenal.

When I was walking around the stadium, I met a couple from Chicago who were doing the exact same thing I was doing -- they took a special trip to London just to see Arsenal.

The whole thing was a lot of fun.

My wife (who I mentioned is Dutch), kids, and I are going to the Netherlands for Christmas. On the way, we are going to spend a few days in London. At that time, Arsenal plays Chelsea. I am going to try to get tickets for that match although I imagine that it will be more difficult and pricey than the Norwich match that I went to.

I watched the Totti clip... No offense, it is like watching a kicker kick field goals. Yeah, they are scores and what not... "Bending it like Beckham"... Sure it takes skills, but, I really didn't find it amazing. Again, like watching a kicker score FG's from 30 yards out. The net is so damn big and the field too.

To each their own I guess.

Because they are difficult shots to make. Yes the goal is huge but these keepers are quite good. Also I chose that Totti clip because he is just a fantastic finisher and my idol but it's important to remember that these guys are marked quite closely which makes shots like that quite difficult.

Also, the #1 goal was at a terrible angle with his left foot on a volley. He's so good, even the opposing team fans applaud him.

That's funny you say that, cause that IS one of the things that annoys the hell out of me...I played the game for many years so I have an appreciation for how much skill is required even at an intermediate level, but sometimes it amazes me how a pro can completely fuggup a shot and go launching the damn thing a mile above the goal.

And just cause I always love an excuse to post it...here's one of my favorite goals ever from the WC back in 2006:

This is NOT easy to do!

I think it is more luck and just hitting the shot right. Of course all the skill goes into and makes the odds better that one will hit it. Again, the luck factor is there. True story. Like my brother. The first time he ever swung a golf club on a course and he rolls the ball a few inches from going in for a hole and one! WTF!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I tried to upload some videos of two of the chants, but apparently the files are too big. In any event, it was a spectacular atmosphere. It would be fun if the Bills fans did something similar.

A few months back, I decided to pay to become what they refer to as a "Red Member." It costs 15 pounds a year as I recall. It allows me to purchase tickets 30 days before a match. They hold back a certain number of tickets for Red Members. My ticket ended up costing me 33 pounds. Once the game sells out, Red Members can also buy tickets on the Arsenal Ticket Exchange from season ticket holders who want to sell their tickets. Those go for whatever the market will bear.

When I arrived at Heathrow on Saturday morning, I was greeted by a stern immigration official. He asked me what I was doing in the UK. I held up my Arsenal hat. He immediately had a smile on his face and told me that he did not need to ask me any more questions. The rest of the conversation consisted of him giving me tips etc. regarding going to the game and what to do.

After I checked in my hotel near Paddington, I took the Bakerloo line to Piccadilly Circus to catch the Piccadilly line to the Arsenal station. I ran into this Indian guy who had an Arsenal scarf on and asked him for directions. Once he found out I was an Arsenal fan and had just flown in from Miami for my first game, he invited me to tag along. We got on the correct train to get to the stadium and the car was filled with Arsenal fans. Both in the train and walking through the neighborhood from the tube station to the stadium, everyone was singing Arsenal songs.

To get into the stadium, all I needed was my Arsenal Red Member card rather than an actual ticket. They have card readers around the stadium. Once my card was read, I was on my way. My seat was in the upper deck, but the view was great.

One thing that was particular interesting given some of the discussions on this board about fan conduct is that I did not see one single incident of bad fan conduct or any fights. It was quite a contrast -- as well as a bit surprising given some of the things you hear. They do not allow any drinking in the stands although you can drink in the concourse. They also keep away fans separated from the home fans. All in all, it was a great family atmosphere.

Throughout the game, the fans sang songs and different chants. You could really feel the energy.

Arsenal won the game 4-1. If you have not had a chance to see it, I would recommend watching the first goal. It was scored by Jack Wilshere, but the great thing about it was the back and forth between him and Olivier Giroud. Arsene Wenger said that it was the best goal that he has seen at the Emirates and one of the best team goals since he has been at Arsenal.

After the game, I walked around the stadium and went to the "Armoury" -- one of the Arsenal team stores -- and spent too much money. There were fans at the stadium from all over the world. It was great how people from different cultures, countries, religions etc. are all brought together because of Arsenal.

When I was walking around the stadium, I met a couple from Chicago who were doing the exact same thing I was doing -- they took a special trip to London just to see Arsenal.

The whole thing was a lot of fun.

My wife (who I mentioned is Dutch), kids, and I are going to the Netherlands for Christmas. On the way, we are going to spend a few days in London. At that time, Arsenal plays Chelsea. I am going to try to get tickets for that match although I imagine that it will be more difficult and pricey than the Norwich match that I went to.

I got butterflies in my stomach reading that...I love what you said about how the common bond of Arsenal fandom brings together people from all different cultures and backgrounds...that is truly awesome! I'm a fan of Thierry Henry, so I used to pay attention to Arsenal whenever I was getting caught up with the happenings in the Premiership. I used to love watching Man.U the most when they had C.Ronaldo...that dude can play ball. The only other team I really followed a bit was Bremen in the Bundesliga while my boy Klose was playing for them. So I don't really have a team that I follow, but your experience has me a bit fired up about Arsenal again!

Thanks for sharing that...I wish I could have been there with you guys! I don't know the songs, but I would happily fake it

I think it is more luck and just hitting the shot right. Of course all the skill goes into and makes the odds better that one will hit it. Again, the luck factor is there. True story. Like my brother. The first time he ever swung a golf club on a course and he rolls the ball a few inches from going in for a hole and one! WTF!

Skill tempers luck :)

I got butterflies in my stomach reading that...I love what you said about how the common bond of Arsenal fandom brings together people from all different cultures and backgrounds...that is truly awesome! I'm a fan of Thierry Henry, so I used to pay attention to Arsenal whenever I was getting caught up with the happenings in the Premiership. I used to love watching Man.U the most when they had C.Ronaldo...that dude can play ball. The only other team I really followed a bit was Bremen in the Bundesliga while my boy Klose was playing for them. So I don't really have a team that I follow, but your experience has me a bit fired up about Arsenal again!

Thanks for sharing that...I wish I could have been there with you guys! I don't know the songs, but I would happily fake it

Skill tempers luck :)

I still think some of those shots are lucky! And then they just ran w/the excitement! :-P

After doing some quick googling it appears that I was wrong. Baseball averages about 8 runs per game. Soccer at the highest levels averages about 3. It is much more like Hockey in regards to the scoring level.

However the ALCS averaged about 6 runs per game and the NLCS averaged about 5 runs per game (before the game 6 blow out skewed the stats to 6 runs a game). It isn't a huge difference IMO but seems to be the #1 complaint against the game.

Then take into consideration that baseball games on average take twice as long to play when compared to soccer. There really is much difference in scoring.

If you are still looking for a club to support, I officially invite you to support Arsenal. It is a great club with a long history. Arsene Wenger is a class act. The supporters are fantastic. There is a lot of very good, young talent. We have qualified for Champions League for the past several years.

The club built its own stadium, which caused it to be conservative with spending for the past few years. The club does not spend money like drunken sailors as do some of the clubs in Europe. It tries to do it the right way by both developing young players and adding pieces such as Ozil more recently. We have had our bumps in the road -- this part reminds me of being a Buffalo sports fan -- but the future looks bright.

You mentioned Man U. I used to like them (together with Arsenal) because of a friend of mine and also Eric Cantona and later Ruud van Nistelrooy. I decided that following Man U was too much like being a Dallas Cowboys fan. For the past several years, my one and only team has been Arsenal.

You will never be embarrassed being an Arsenal fan. One story about Arsenal that illustrates the class of the club is when Arsenal offered and did replay a match that it had won, but did so under circumstances that the club did not think were just. When was the last time you heard of a professional team doing anything like this. In any event, you can read a story at http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/ars-ne-wenger-offers-fa-cup-rematch The pertinent description of what happened is below:

"The FA Cup often throws up weird and wonderful situations but in 1999 Highbury witnessed one of the strangest episodes in the competition's history.

Arsenal were drawn at home against Sheffield United in the Fifth Round and beat the Yorkshire team 2-1 thanks to goals from Patrick Vieira and Marc Overmars. However, the winning goal caused plenty of controversy.

The ball had been kicked into touch by a United player so one of his team-mates could receive treatment. But when Kanu received possession from the resulting throw, he broke away down the right and squared for Overmars to score.

The Blades were outraged and pointed the finger at Kanu but the Nigerian had simply misunderstood the situation, unaware that a United player had needed treatment. Nonetheless, the dispute was not going to be settled easily.

Arsène Wenger stepped in and, recognising the unique situation Arsenal found themselves in, he offered United manager Steve Bruce a chance to replay the match at Highbury.

Wenger's gracious offer was accepted and, with the FA's consent, the rematch took place 10 days later. Overmars and Dennis Bergkamp put Arsenal in charge and, although the Blades grabbed a late consolation, they suffered another 2-1 defeat."

If you are still looking for a club to support, I officially invite you to support Arsenal. It is a great club with a long history. Arsene Wenger is a class act. The supporters are fantastic. There is a lot of very good, young talent. We have qualified for Champions League for the past several years.

The club built its own stadium, which caused it to be conservative with spending for the past few years. The club does not spend money like drunken sailors as do some of the clubs in Europe. It tries to do it the right way by both developing young players and adding pieces such as Ozil more recently. We have had our bumps in the road -- this part reminds me of being a Buffalo sports fan -- but the future looks bright.

You mentioned Man U. I used to like them (together with Arsenal) because of a friend of mine and also Eric Cantona and later Ruud van Nistelrooy. I decided that following Man U was too much like being a Dallas Cowboys fan. For the past several years, my one and only team has been Arsenal.

You will never be embarrassed being an Arsenal fan. One story about Arsenal that illustrates the class of the club is when Arsenal offered and did replay a match that it had won, but did so under circumstances that the club did not think were just. When was the last time you heard of a professional team doing anything like this. In any event, you can read a story at http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/ars-ne-wenger-offers-fa-cup-rematch The pertinent description of what happened is below:

"The FA Cup often throws up weird and wonderful situations but in 1999 Highbury witnessed one of the strangest episodes in the competition's history.

Arsenal were drawn at home against Sheffield United in the Fifth Round and beat the Yorkshire team 2-1 thanks to goals from Patrick Vieira and Marc Overmars. However, the winning goal caused plenty of controversy.

The ball had been kicked into touch by a United player so one of his team-mates could receive treatment. But when Kanu received possession from the resulting throw, he broke away down the right and squared for Overmars to score.

The Blades were outraged and pointed the finger at Kanu but the Nigerian had simply misunderstood the situation, unaware that a United player had needed treatment. Nonetheless, the dispute was not going to be settled easily.

Arsène Wenger stepped in and, recognising the unique situation Arsenal found themselves in, he offered United manager Steve Bruce a chance to replay the match at Highbury.

Wenger's gracious offer was accepted and, with the FA's consent, the rematch took place 10 days later. Overmars and Dennis Bergkamp put Arsenal in charge and, although the Blades grabbed a late consolation, they suffered another 2-1 defeat."

Thank you for gervinho :D

I don't have a favorite English club team, but I find myself rooting for Arsenal whenever I see them. I don't know much about their history, but they seem cool. They're famous for playing an entertaining, positive style. Also, they've had some of my favorite attacking players in recent history, like Thierry Henry, Robin Van Persie, Cesc Fabregas.

Edited by Cugalabanza

I don't have a favorite English club team, but I find myself rooting for Arsenal whenever I see them. I don't know much about their history, but they seem cool. They're famous for playing an entertaining, positive style. Also, they've had some of my favorite attacking players in recent history, like Thierry Henry, Robin Van Persie, Cesc Fabregas.

I agree that - they do play an entertaining, positive style. Dennis Bergkamp is the one that initially drew me to Arsenal. Of course, I also really like Cesc and Thierry Henry. Now, I am a very big fan of Giroud, Wilshere, Santi, Arteta, Ozil, Ramsey, and Podolski (and pretty much everyone else).

Arsenal also has a young midfielder name Gedion Zelalem, who is a phenom who ultimately may play for the US National team if he does not decide to play for Germany. The kid has vision similar to what Cesc had at that age.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2013/08/12/could-arsenals-teenage-phenom-play-for-u-s/

I used to like RVP, but he is dead to me now given what he did to Arsenal last year to engineer his departure after Arsenal and Arsene had been so loyal to him after all of his injuries and his arrest a few years back. It would have been one thing if he had gone overseas or had gone home (as Cesc did), but to engineer the transfer to Man U is another. I have to admit that it would make me very happy if Arsenal won the EPL while he and Man U did not qualify for Champions League.

Edited by Peter

I agree that - they do play an entertaining, positive style. Dennis Bergkamp is the one that initially drew me to Arsenal. Of course, I also really like Cesc and Thierry Henry. Now, I am a very big fan of Giroud, Wilshere, Santi, Arteta, Ozil, Ramsey, and Podolski (and pretty much everyone else).

Arsenal also has a young midfielder name Gedion Zelalem, who is a phenom who ultimately may play for the US National team if he does not decide to play for Germany. The kid has vision similar to what Cesc had at that age.

http://www.washingto...m-play-for-u-s/

I used to like RVP, but he is dead to me now given what he did to Arsenal last year to engineer his departure after Arsenal and Arsene had been so loyal to him after all of his injuries and his arrest a few years back. It would have been one thing if he had gone overseas or had gone home (as Cesc did), but to engineer the transfer to Man U is another. I have to admit that it would make me very happy if Arsenal won the EPL while he and Man U did not qualify for Champions League.

I'm kind of out of touch with the Premiership lately. I know RVP had gone to ManU, but I wasn't aware of all that drama.

Podolski is a player I know and really respect. I mostly know him from watching him with the German NT.

I think I gotta start watching some more EPL and CL games again. And I want to take a look at this Gedion Zelalem guy. With a 2 year old, I don't watch as much tv as I used to.

EDIT: And yes, I'd also really enjoy ManU missing the CL. Seems unlikely though. Although, a quick look at the current table shows Arsenal tied for first and ManU in at #8, so it could happen.

Edited by Cugalabanza

I'm kind of out of touch with the Premiership lately. I know RVP had gone to ManU, but I wasn't aware of all that drama.

Podolski is a player I know and really respect. I mostly know him from watching him with the German NT.

I think I gotta start watching some more EPL and CL games again. And I want to take a look at this Gedion Zelalem guy. With a 2 year old, I don't watch as much tv as I used to.

EDIT: And yes, I'd also really enjoy ManU missing the CL. Seems unlikely though. Although, a quick look at the current table shows Arsenal tied for first and ManU in at #8, so it could happen.

The nice thing about NBC's deal is that it makes much easier to follow any club in the EPL. All of the games are on TV on one of the various NBC channels, one of the DTV extra channels, or on the internet. Fortunately, for me, the Arsenal games all have been on TV. I DVR them and either watch them live or later. They also have replays on the NBC sports app.

With family and life, it is difficult to watch all of the games (Bills, Sabres, Arsenal, and everything else) these days.

If you are still looking for a club to support, I officially invite you to support Arsenal.

Accepted...now I have a team in the EPL to go along with my new team to support in Serie A.

I didn't know Podolski was playing for Arsenal, so that makes the decision easy, especailly since I had taken interest previously when Henry was playing for them...the other points you made are just icing :)

Go Arsenal!!

Ok so I've always wondered that myself. I obviously don't watch a lot of soccer but I do see that a lot and scratch my head. I know it's not easy to do but some of these shots aren't even close.

Oh and BTW it's not pro soccer players only. I regularly yell at an NBA, NHL, MLB, NFL player while watching on TV. "WTF dude you are the top 10/20/30 etc performers of your craft in the world and you can't <hit a wide open receiver>?"

A lot of shots in hockey go wide of the net, too. Not every "shot on goal" is a shot on goal - sometimes you're dumping it in over the defense to give someone else a chance.