Trade Steve Johnson to Atlanta if the offer is right?

Dean Cain

Trade Stevie?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Bills Explore Trading Steve Johnson to Atlanta?

2. 2. If Yes, what would be a suitable draft pick?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By "great" I mean one of the better aspects of our team. Our RBs can never seem to play through a whole game without injuries, our secondary has been dismembered by mediocre QBs, and I'm sure we could nit pick and find many other flaws. What Im saying is we don't need to be trading away Stevie when our relatively consistent WR play has helped EJ come a long way.

As far as I'm concerned, with Stevie on one side, Woods on the other, and Spiller (should be) running flats, I don't know how that is considered weak. A safety who doesn't want to be on the team and injuries keeping holes in the CB position tell me that our secondary is "weak".

You only mention 2 WR and you suggest we trade one of them. Spiller is a RB, even if he runs some pass patterns. We don't have a quality 3rd 4th or 5th WR, that is weak.

Can we stop with this stuff? Just quit it.

Look folks. Savvy trades by teams like NE happen when 1) the trading team has an equal or perhaps better quality player waiting in the wings 2) the trading partner is one player away from a playoff run. The Bills do not appear to have a better WR than SJ developing or waiting in the wings. And Atlanta is not one WR away from a playoff run.

You do not build a winning team by trading your best players to leave holes you must fill. The objective of football is winning on the field, not stockpiling draft picks.

Let me preface the following by saying I think Steve Johnson is a good #2 slot receiver option and will be for the next 3-5 years. Steve Johnson appears to be near the height of his athletic and professional ability. At 27 it appears we have seen the ceiling of Johnson's statistical ability, and that is around 70 catches for 1,000 yards and 6 touchdowns per season. While these numbers don't jump off the stat sheet they are good starting WR in the NFL numbers.....it appears that there is depth at the WR position for Buffalo.

Considering all the critique heaped upon Fitz, what evidence do you have that SJ is at the ceiling?

What depth do you see that has Stevie-like skills? We have Woods, who is looking very nice indeed but will be nicer with a quality WR playing beside him. We have two burners, one with stone hands one with a cast on his hand. And we have Easley, who can't see the field on offense despite the hand situation thus whose ability to get open is unknown at this time. Where is this depth?

PS your poll says "if yes, what draft pick" but will not allow one to not answer. You need to add a "not applicable" or "I voted no" category. Thanks.

Edited by Hopeful

You only mention 2 WR and you suggest we trade one of them. Spiller is a RB, even if he runs some pass patterns. We don't have a quality 3rd 4th or 5th WR, that is weak.

Did I suggest we trade one of them? And between TJ Graham, Goodwin when he gets back, and possibly Hogan or Easley, I would think we could develop a "quality WR3" with no problem over the next couple seasons

Can we stop with this stuff? Just quit it.

Look folks. Savvy trades by teams like NE happen when 1) the trading team has an equal or perhaps better quality player waiting in the wings 2) the trading partner is one player away from a playoff run. The Bills do not appear to have a better WR than SJ developing or waiting in the wings. And Atlanta is not one WR away from a playoff run.

You do not build a winning team by trading your best players to leave holes you must fill. The objective of football is winning on the field, not stockpiling draft picks.

Considering all the critique heaped upon Fitz, what evidence do you have that SJ is at the ceiling?

What depth do you see that has Stevie-like skills? We have Woods, who is looking very nice indeed but will be nicer with a quality WR playing beside him. We have two burners, one with stone hands one with a cast on his hand. And we have Easley, who can't see the field on offense despite the hand situation thus whose ability to get open is unknown at this time. Where is this depth?

PS your poll says "if yes, what draft pick" but will not allow one to not answer. You need to add a "not applicable" or "I voted no" category. Thanks.

The idea that a WR at age 27 in his 6th season isn't in his prime is a little off base. Assuming Johnson performs at his last 3 years level, is debatable due to injuries at QB, and the youth at the other WR positions. Additionally Steve Johnson has been banged up and doubled throughout the season and that is impacting his performance. What I'm saying is Steve Johnson is likely not the long-term solution at the WR position. The Bills have a #2 WR in Robert Woods. Steve Johnson is a good WR, but he isn't the stud WR that is going to take us to the promised land. As for the poll topic, if you answer NO, don't answer the second question as you didn't answer yes, or depends on what pick is offered. Edited by BigCountryBills

Did I suggest we trade one of them? And between TJ Graham, Goodwin when he gets back, and possibly Hogan or Easley, I would think we could develop a "quality WR3" with no problem over the next couple seasons

If you didn't suggest trading Stevie, my mistake. I assumed since the title of this thread was about trading him....

but to assume that some of our WR may develop over the next couple seasons and call that depth would be very wrong. Depth would be players that can contribute now, if they can't contribute now , it's called taking up a roster spot.

You will only be treading water and be a mid pack team if you keep getting rid of your good players in exchange for draft picks. Good teams have a core group of vets to build around. Keep Stevie and have another great draft next Spring to move the Bills into position to be a playoff contender.

Edited by Nitro

No. Why does everyone always want to trade our entire team away?

Because they're not making the playoffs again

Trade for picks while you can

Stevie's not getting traded with his current awful contract, so this is silly. I'd be open to a 2nd for him if the guaranteed money wasn't a killer.

For a first rounder? No question.

But that's not a price Atlanta is likely to pay at 1-4. If they were 4-1 they might be more willing to make a bold move.

Why? I mean, if they're 4-1, things are looking pretty good and they'd have little reason to change, amIright?

Stevie is a gamer, dude is always playing hurt. Hell no.

Stevie's the best number 2 in the league.

Too bad we rely on him to be a number 1.

typical WGR caller, let's call him Stan from Cheektowaga (In thick Buffalo accent): First thing they gotta do is fire Regehr. It all starts at the top. Then you go out and ya trade Stafford and Sekera and ya bring in Getzlaf...

Waiting for a problem with any of that...

Obviously Stafford and Sekera won't get you Getzlaf but I was assuming Stan from ChicktaWarsaw meant that as a 3rd move after Stafford and Sekera.

As for the poll topic, if you answer NO, don't answer the second question as you didn't answer yes, or depends on what pick is offered.

This is not an option. I answered NO to the first question, did not answer the 2nd question, and received an error message.

Kind regards,

Hopeful

No. Why does everyone always want to trade our entire team away?

I'd answer your question truthfully but the mods wouldn't like it :bag:

Stevie Johnson worth a #1....only in Buffalo

Actually, other fan boards are regularly this silly. This board used to be an exception