2014 Season to feature 3 games in London

Big C

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. It's not like the Brits can tell the difference!

Tally Ho Bills!!!

You might be surprised what we Brits know about the game. A trip to London to play Oakland wouldn't be much different to playing on the West Coast. Must confess I have never seen the NFL games at Wembley (apart from the Bills pre season about 20 years ago) as I much prefer to watch the Bills on a satellite feed. But can't see the Bills getting a London gig in view of their Toronto commitments.

London is an amazing city to visit. I wish we didn't always have our "International" game locked into Toronto. I would go to London for a Bills game in a heartbeat. Then I would cross the channel and go through the French wine country (dream on Diane).

And how fast does Wemberly stadium sell out as soon as their box office opens for an NFL game. Like an hour? Does anyone realize how many Americans live throughout Europe?

Everyone that's talking about the distance...A flight from the East coast to the UK is nearly the same as a flight from the East coast to the West coast. If you're talking about Oakland going out there, it's 12 hours. That is much less of a burden for a team compared to playing on Sunday then playing again on Thursday night. Are they trying to build support for a European expansion of the NFL? Highly doubtful. This is about attracting European fans and persuading European TV networks to buy rights for NFL games, imo. But if they were crazy enough to move a team to London, don't think the distance would be such a deal breaker.

You might be surprised what we Brits know about the game. A trip to London to play Oakland wouldn't be much different to playing on the West Coast. Must confess I have never seen the NFL games at Wembley (apart from the Bills pre season about 20 years ago) as I much prefer to watch the Bills on a satellite feed. But can't see the Bills getting a London gig in view of their Toronto commitments.

nice comeback .

It would be cool to see Europe develop a high school system and College like we have so that there could be a truly European League.

Do you think there is enough interest in football over there for that to happen?

London is an amazing city to visit. I wish we didn't always have our "International" game locked into Toronto. I would go to London for a Bills game in a heartbeat. Then I would cross the channel and go through the French wine country (dream on Diane).

And how fast does Wemberly stadium sell out as soon as their box office opens for an NFL game. Like an hour? Does anyone realize how many Americans live throughout Europe?

I managed to get tickets to the Vikings/Steelers game, but they do go incredibly quickly. Selling out Wembley (90,000 capacity) is no small feat and it's a stunning place to see a game. Not a bad seat in the house.

Crowd tends be about 25% American expats, 75% Brits/other. Overall the fans are pretty knowledgeable about the game. Anytime you play at a neutral site the game will lack a certain intensity that comes from a true home crowd. But that would be true whether you're playing in London or, say, Los Angeles. Games are played at 6 p.m. London time, so they just get slotted as 1 p.m. ET kickoffs. If you want to argue there should be no neutral site games, I get that argument. But if we want to test and expand the game, isn't this the way to do it?

I guess I just don't get all the hate. London fans have been terrific. I understand that it's a haul (especially from the West Coast), but if the NFL can sell 90k tickets year after year then I don't see how this isn't a good thing for the game. They don't stop selling beer before the end of the game either.

nice comeback .

It would be cool to see Europe develop a high school system and College like we have so that there could be a truly European League.

Do you think there is enough interest in football over there for that to happen?

Don't think we will ever develop your school system. At least here in Denmark. But there is an increasing interest in american football here. In Denmark we get 5-6 games televised live each week (not many Bills games though). And a lot of us fans are buying the NFL Gamepass to follow our favorite teams.

Seeing alot of new clubs/teams the last few years here in Denmark. Flag football is catching on as well. So once we start to get some more media interest in the local leagues. I think we will start seeing some semi professional leagues here. And then who knows what will happen. But probably wont happen for the next 10 years

And there is a few youngsters from the national squad/team that is being offered scholarships to US colleges. Probably inspired by the great Dane Morten Andersen :)

Go Bills

There was an article last year that said if London got a team they would play a few weeks in London, and then come to the US for a few weeks at a time, to reduce the Atlantic crossings. The NFL would build them a training facility in the US for them to stay at. Delaware was mentioned. And teams going to London to play would do so around the time of their bye week.

The tough thing might be convincing players, especially free agents, to agree to play for them.

Screw London, When are they going to play games in Mexico?

As soon as a franchise relocates to LA.

I was kidding -- between all the Americans living there and the locals who follow the sport I'm sure there are plenty of knowledgbale NFL fans. I'd rather visit London for a Bills game than just about any US city they play in.

Don't think we will ever develop your school system. At least here in Denmark. But there is an increasing interest in american football here. In Denmark we get 5-6 games televised live each week (not many Bills games though). And a lot of us fans are buying the NFL Gamepass to follow our favorite teams.

Seeing alot of new clubs/teams the last few years here in Denmark. Flag football is catching on as well. So once we start to get some more media interest in the local leagues. I think we will start seeing some semi professional leagues here. And then who knows what will happen. But probably wont happen for the next 10 years

And there is a few youngsters from the national squad/team that is being offered scholarships to US colleges. Probably inspired by the great Dane Morten Andersen :)

Go Bills

If I remember right, Before NFL Europe folded (wish that would come back) Germany had 3 teams and Scotland had one, so maybe they can get into too. Would like to see your country and the rest of the Viking nations send big line man over here.

Actually this spring the Colts were interested in Icelandic strongman Hafthor Bjornsson 6'9" 420 , cool pick of him pressing Tom Brady

http://bustedcoverage.com/2013/05/14/report-colts-might-sign-6-9-419-lb-strongman-hafthor-bjornsson-photos/

http://www.nfl.com/n...on-game-in-2014

Jacksonville, Atlanta and Oakland will all have one home game in London next year.

How do we feel about this?

It's London the NFL is interested in but should it be England or UK as a whole?

Why not schedule games in three different UK cities? Or try an NFL game in another European city? Berlin, Dusseldorf, Amsterdam, Paris?

I get the NFL marketing idea but why focus on one city?

If I was running the league I'd move to a 17-3 schedule. 17 regular season games, everyone gets 8 home, 8 road and 1 neutral site games (you'd need 16 locations) plus 1 home, 1 road and 1 neutral site preseason game. Try to rationalize those games, Phily/Pittsburgh at Penn State. Cleveland/Detroit St. Louis/KC at U of Missouri. Tampa/Jacksonville in Orlando. Carolina/Washington in Raleigh, etc.

It's London the NFL is interested in but should it be England or UK as a whole?

Why not schedule games in three different UK cities? Or try an NFL game in another European city? Berlin, Dusseldorf, Amsterdam, Paris?

I get the NFL marketing idea but why focus on one city?

If I was running the league I'd move to a 17-3 schedule. 17 regular season games, everyone gets 8 home, 8 road and 1 neutral site games (you'd need 16 locations) plus 1 home, 1 road and 1 neutral site preseason game. Try to rationalize those games, Phily/Pittsburgh at Penn State. Cleveland/Detroit St. Louis/KC at U of Missouri. Tampa/Jacksonville in Orlando. Carolina/Washington in Raleigh, etc.

Germany would be good, but I don't think there would be much interest in France since they never had a NFLE team there.