With EJ out its time to scrap the up-tempo/no-huddle offense

The hurry up is based on execution and wearing the defense down. There is nothin wrong with it so long as you execute. With a rookie QB, there has been some execution problems, which are to be expected. But the coaches are laying the ground work of the Bills offense for years to come. You can't just give up on it and say, "well I guess we'll just go back to doin what everyone else is doing." They are trying to innovate. I applaud that.

When/if it starts working fully, the Bills could be a premier offense.

EDIT: Also, a run-based offense completely fits the hurry-up. Wear out the defense, running becomes easier and easier. Just keep pushing the DL around, not let the substitute or catch their breath. Huge lanes will open.

Hurry up is based on creating mismatches in the passing game Hacketts hurry-up serves the purpose of wearing down his own defense.

For all the obvious reason of going from the practice squad to the starting Qb in a week (scheme, playbook, all the communication he needs to learn). There is zero upside to having Thad Lewis run a no-huddle offense.

Also Hacketts scheme doesn't fit the bill for a no huddle offense. Hackett through 5 games has shown his offense is run based. Its one of the most run heavy schemes in the league. Take your time, try to control the clock. The worst thing we can do against Cincy is a hurry up 3 and out. We can't gas the defense.

If we see Marrone and Hackett running no huddle with Thad Lewis they should fired on the spot. So far I haven't been impressed with either of them.

They should huddle. At times, they should go into hurry up mode as a change of pace.

For the last 13 years we get a new HC/OC with a new system which does not use the talents of the individuals on the roster. An up tempo offense alone is not the answer. Bubble screens, curl routes, crossing routes and using the outside run from last year (both left and right side). With some shots downfield. Last game I saw 1 bubble screen and 1 run to the outside which CJ ran for a touchdown and that was it. The receivers are new and although they are faster than our previous wr's they aren't getting open. This running up the gut for 1 - 3 yards is a joke. That is not for CJ, only Fred has a chance of getting more yards. From what I have seen so far from this coaching staff is that they're going for 2014 draft picks.

100% agree...even with EJ in, it's way past time to scrap the offense. at least the "read option" part of it. No huddle would work if we could start moving the chains better, but until then, just try and get a few first downs!

Their fast offense is viewed as the best way for them to move the chains and what they are building in. We need a little patience with it, and even more now that Thad Lewis is our new QB. That said, novelty and hurry should give us some advantages if we can tire their defense more than ours, and because we have two very good RBs we can do it with a running attack as well. I would love to see some fast paced wild cat too with Freddie taking the snaps and CJ in there as well, but I think that is doubtful. If we sit back and play traditional slow football, we will be out performed by a stronger Bengals team. I think our best chance to win this game and our best chance to improve as a team, is to stick with the plan and try to execute it with a practice squad QB.

What I hope they do, and what I imagine they will do, is to keep the up tempo offense and just monitor how effective it is during the game, changing up the pace depending on what is going on. Getting a good chunk of yards on first down, you pick up the pace. See that Thad is able to manage the game and get some first downs, pick up the pace. Realize there is some communication or execution issues with Thad, slow down the pace.

I know everyone likes to be in complain mode here, but whether theye run a huddle or no huddle offense it will not really change the pace of this offense. If you look at the play clock they are snapping the ball with about 15 seconds remaining. That is not really fast paced up tempo, the only problem with what is happening is the 3 and outs. Whether you are in a huddle or not if you can't move the chains your going have awful time of possession.

What I hope they do, and what I imagine they will do, is to keep the up tempo offense and just monitor how effective it is during the game, changing up the pace depending on what is going on. Getting a good chunk of yards on first down, you pick up the pace. See that Thad is able to manage the game and get some first downs, pick up the pace. Realize there is some communication or execution issues with Thad, slow down the pace.

They slowed down the pace considerably last game I thought. Even with EJ in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

it's not the tempo

it's the EXECUTION!!!

The Jim Kelly no huddle was a success, the Bungkes no huddle, of the same era was a success, today, every two minute drive that scores points is a success because of EXECUTION!

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

and again the Bills Defense plays against the up tempo offense and has built up stamina.

IF the Bills D was getting "tired" they';d be getting blown out throughout the 4th QTR.

Please provide a link where the Bills Defense has gotten blown out repeatedly in the 4th QTR.

Other than getting our defense tired and giving the opposing offenses more chances to score of course.

How much more could they minimize the playbook anyway? We already know what play they are going to run on first and second down. It's a pretty good bet that Cincy already knows it too.

Lack of creative play calling will be an Achilles heel for this team the rest of the season unless the offensive coaching staff miraculously changes their ways.

Run, run, pass. Run, run, pass. Run, run, pass.

The play calling has been predictable at best.

Keep the no huddle for this game. Let it be for now. put CJ and FJ on the field at the same time

Yes CJ and Freddy need to BOTH be out there, they are our 2 best Offensive players. Keep the no huddle ditch the "read option", doesn't work. If Philly can't do it with way better players, The Buffalo Bill definitely cannot.

Yes CJ and Freddy need to BOTH be out there, they are our 2 best Offensive players. Keep the no huddle ditch the "read option", doesn't work. If Philly can't do it with way better players, The Buffalo Bill definitely cannot.

Some formations I'd run is a combination of power running formations using the fullback as a blocker, pistol (read-option) along with split back formations with CJ and Jackson and a wrinkle with CJ and TJ Graham. I'd also throw in some wild-cat with thad Lewis. Keep it simple but formations that will keep the defense on their heels.

Also,screens, bubble screens, quick slants, shuffle passes to Graham out of the back field. Max protection, play action down field.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever