The Bills have Released Punter Shawn Powell

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what happened with the kid...He just sort of regressed...He punted WAY better in College...The easy assumption was that he would continue to get better...But he actually continually got worse and more erratic...The Bills really had no choice...But this was a strange and to be honest a surprising collapse to watch...I was really hoping he was going to turn into one of the better Punters in the NFL... B-)

The hang time was bad; but he had so many more glaring problems too. Just a train wreck.

Yep, too many shanks at the wrong time, too many TBs, not enough FCs, outkicking coverage with low liners, and bad directional kicks.

He should have been axed a couple of weeks ago IMO.

We've been spoiled by Moorman and Mohr. The adage is if you have a punter who can kick in Orchard Park you keep him until he drops dead on the field. Moorman was not done.

And Mohr wasn't done when Moorman replaced him either. So I don't know what kind of adage this is.

There sure is a lot of revisionist history in this thread about Moorman's final days in Buffalo.

Surely I wasn't the only one who saw the guy rip off his chin strap and scream at himself EVERY time he failed to NOT kick it into the end zone, which was on roughly 80% of his boots.

There sure is a lot of revisionist history in this thread about Moorman's final days in Buffalo.

Surely I wasn't the only one who saw the guy rip off his chin strap and scream at himself EVERY time he failed to NOT kick it into the end zone, which was on roughly 80% of his boots.

Nobody is arguing that Moorman wasn't on the decline. But there is a benefit in keeping a vet at that position, even if you sacrifice some of the old big punts we used to see from him. There's a reason that guys like Chris Gardocki hung around in the league for 15+ years-- dude was consistent, low risk, good hang time, never had a punt blocked for most of his career, etc.

Not surprised, though the coverage and blocking for him last night was crap. Tank Carder almost blocked two of his kicks, and the second big return should have been stopped by the coverage unit. Powell had kicks that were flatter than a white girl's ass. So, he deserved to get canned