Would Rather play Cleveland twice a year

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The divisions, which take into account rivalry and geography are yet another reason why the NFL is so successful. The NHL on the other hand, continues to soot itself in the foot. They keep thinking that by tweaking things and messing with tradition that they're going to attract new fans. Unfortunately the players are too big, fast and strong and the ice surface is too small so what you have is a congested, often actionless game. All they're accomplishing is alienating their existing fans. But yeah, let's shuffle the divisions so that DETROIT AND CHICAGO ARE NOT IN THE SAME DIVISION?!? Are you kidding me? The NFL would never do that. That's why the Giants, Philly, Washington and Dallas will always be in the same division. It's called tradition and it sells.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Although geographically not as sensible, it is probably more feasible to swap with Cincy than with Baltimore. Baltimore is not going to want to give up the Pittsburgh rivalry.

No one really cares where Cincy is, and I don't think they have any real rivalries (the "Battle of Ohio" with the Browns is pretty weak).

Although geographically not as sensible, it is probably more feasible to swap with Cincy than with Baltimore. Baltimore is not going to want to give up the Pittsburgh rivalry.

No one really cares where Cincy is, and I don't think they have any real rivalries (the "Battle of Ohio" with the Browns is pretty weak).

No, no it's not. I'm not sure how old you are but Boomer Esiason vs. Bernie Kosar in about 1987 was some serious s***. Just because one or two teams aren't good for a stretch doesn't mean that you shuffle divisions. Who would've thought five years ago that Seattle-San Fran would be a good rivalry? For all we know, ten years from now Cleveland and Cincinnati are the two best teams in the AFC and those two games a year are insane.

Great the Bills can't win in the AFC East so the answer is to hop scotch divisions till they find one they can compete in?

That last sentence I wrote was a after thought and not the point of my topic. My point was the natural rust belt rivalry would be intense. As for Baltimore, they used to be in the AFC East as the Colts and that city has some prettty intense rivalrys with NY and Boston. I know, I'm a Orioles fan!

The divisions, which take into account rivalry and geography are yet another reason why the NFL is so successful. The NHL on the other hand, continues to soot itself in the foot. They keep thinking that by tweaking things and messing with tradition that they're going to attract new fans. Unfortunately the players are too big, fast and strong and the ice surface is too small so what you have is a congested, often actionless game. All they're accomplishing is alienating their existing fans. But yeah, let's shuffle the divisions so that DETROIT AND CHICAGO ARE NOT IN THE SAME DIVISION?!? Are you kidding me? The NFL would never do that. That's why the Giants, Philly, Washington and Dallas will always be in the same division. It's called tradition and it sells.

Redwings begged to get in the East.

Nope. For one, the Bills, Pats and Jets have been AFL rivals since 1960. For two, the Steelers-Ravens were the best rivalry in football until this year. Plus you have the Ravens-Browns-Art Modell thing, which will never die. You're upset because Buffalo is a few hours closer to Pittsburgh and Cleveland (not really Cincinnati) than it is New York and Boston? Well a few extra hours drive and a few extra minutes on a plane does not trump rivalry. Just think how you'd feel if you were a Dallas Cowboys fan. The NFL divisions are absolutely perfect just the way they are.

Really can't compare the rivalries between Dallas and NYG/Washington and whatever rivalries the Bills had in division. Those games have been relevant for longer than what the Bills have experienced. Jets rivalry died out w Bill Simpson's INT and when they moved from Shea Stadium. Pats and Bils have rarely been good at the same time save for AFL days and late 70s. Only the Dolphins have had a sustained rivalry in recent memory w Kelly-Marino. Heck Kelly-Kosar meant more than what Kelly-Eason? Kelly-O'Brien? I can understand how moving a team from the AFC north could be difficult but jeez the Bills could be an easy move.

Yes, completely agree and have felt that way for years.

The drive for fans to division games makes it a no-brainer to me

Regardless of thier records as of late, Buffalo has no commonality at all with the rest of the AFCE. The fans of the rest of the division don't consider Buffalo at all. Buffalo not being in the north is a mistake, and Buffalo has suffered from it.

Edited by bobblehead

And if we're discussing hockey realignment, I'd be pretty upset if the Sabres got realigned out of the Adams division. Mayday over the Bruins and nowadays the 2010 playoffs plus Chara; 06 and 07 playoffs w the Sens plus Chris Neil; Tie Domi/Darcy Tucker and the 99 cup run agst the Leafs; getting rolled by the Habs for the longest time until beating them in 98. I legitimately hate all of the Sabres division rivals. Those are rivals.

The Jets? We happen to play them twice a year.

And if we're discussing hockey realignment, I'd be pretty upset if the Sabres got realigned out of the Adams division. Mayday over the Bruins and nowadays the 2010 playoffs plus Chara; 06 and 07 playoffs w the Sens plus Chris Neil; Tie Domi/Darcy Tucker and the 99 cup run agst the Leafs; getting rolled by the Habs for the longest time until beating them in 98. I legitimately hate all of the Sabres division rivals. Those are rivals.

The Jets? We happen to play them twice a year.

LOL.. the Adams division, I think Chris Berman still calls the NFC North the Smythe division.

...Using that thinking, I wonder what the AFC East would be called... The OJ division!? :doh:

Really can't compare the rivalries between Dallas and NYG/Washington and whatever rivalries the Bills had in division.

Exactly...And I'm guessing the Bills/Browns and even the Bills/Steelers could turn into a great rivalries in time...Assuming the Bills and Browns ever become viable again of course...

This was a no-brainer when the league re-structured the Divisions...Of course it did not help that our owner was dead set against it... :doh:

No, no it's not. I'm not sure how old you are but Boomer Esiason vs. Bernie Kosar in about 1987 was some serious s***. Just because one or two teams aren't good for a stretch doesn't mean that you shuffle divisions. Who would've thought five years ago that Seattle-San Fran would be a good rivalry? For all we know, ten years from now Cleveland and Cincinnati are the two best teams in the AFC and those two games a year are insane.

that was 25 years ago. Based on your logic, we shouldn't move divisions because our rivalry with the dolphins could reignite in the future.

that was 25 years ago. Based on your logic, we shouldn't move divisions because our rivalry with the dolphins could reignite in the future.

The only thing good about that Dolphins rivalry now is if it's the second game it gives WNY a reason to go down there for some sun and buy all the empty orange seats.

Anyone miss Indy?

A lot fans in NE might say yes.

Look at it from the perspective of the rest of the division. If Buffalo was to leave the AFCE tomorrow for the North, what would the rest of the AFCE think? If the majority of the answers are either: "who cares" or "boo, there goes the easy win", then there were no rivalries there, and it's worth the move to the North with its more relatable - to- Buffalo cities.

Edited by bobblehead