Bench Spiller?

DougTheBug

Some Bills fans amaze me with their thinking....

So, the feature back that the Bills OC stated before the season started would get the ball until he threw up is being keyed on by opposing teams by stacking the box to stop him. Now because two teams were pretty successful in shutting down Spiller the Bills should bench arguably their best offensive player? What about # one WR Stevie Johnson with one catch for -1 yard last game. Should the Bills bench him also?

Could it be that teams might be thinking if we stop the feature back it will force the rookie to throw and make that team one dimensional. Their thinking, thus putting our team in a better position for the defense to pin their ears back and disrupt that rookie QB. Maybe he throws a bunch of INT's, or we get a ton of sacks.

Never mind the fact that the guy who replaced the best O lineman from last year is stinking it up big time. How bad is he? LG Colin Brown through the first three games has a (-26.0) grade for the year, worst on the team. CB Justin "toast" Rodgers allowed 75% of the Jets passing game and two TD's and Colin Brown was worse!! yea, that's right, a negative 26.0 This last game against the Ravens he still stunk it up, only not so bad with only a (-1.7) grade.

The Bills have nobody on their roster to replace Brown so they can't bench him, so he stays and hopefully starts playing better.

Also, this last game the Bills OC finally decided to build a dedicated running attack and had multiple TE's in to block along with a fullback. It worked as the Bills had over 200 yards rushing against that Ravens defense. Still, the Bills went with Spiller five times when one or two yards needed and failed to get those first downs. They should just bench him, right?

Hrmmm, what to do...what to do?

I couldn't agree more.

There was a reason Spiller was on the field last week as a decoy even though they didn't run him, that's because the mere threat of him makes teams accountable for his presence.

That's what you call a play maker.

Maybe Spiller is trying to do too much, which is why he is "dancing" as you say. But make no mistake, he is the most explosive offensive weapon the Bills have, and benching him should result in an immediate sanity check on Doug Marrone.

You play your best players, unless they are too hurt to play. You don't trade them, bench them, or sell them on EBay after a couple of bad games.

As for Easley, covering special teams is different than running routes and making plays downfield as a receiver. Although I wouldn't mind him getting more reps as a receiver, I love the duo of Steve Johnson and Robert Woods. I also like TJ Graham and Scott Chandler. I'm also licking my chops for when Goodwin returns. I don't see any of those guys doing anything that would warrant giving their playing time to Easley.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Spiller can be an explosive talent, but he's hardly been able to get in gear over the first four games. I don't know what's wrong, but when he doesn't have his wheels he's pretty ordinary. He doesn't have his wheels at the moment due to an ankle injury.

Jackson is one of my favorite Bills of all time (and I'm a fan since I can remember, about 1962) due to his determination and ability to get extra yards. For every run that Spiller breaks, Jackson has three tough runs that get key first downs. I don't hate Spiller, far from it, but we should look at what the guy is doing this year and not imagine he's doing magic tricks like he did last year.

When both are fully healthy, I like the mix that's been going on. When Spiller is a step slow, he shouldn't be on the field because he can't even get back to the line of scrimmage. When Jackson is a step slow, he still finds a way to get yards.

Benching Spiller, as most have mentioned, borders on a moronic idea. The Bills do well with their two headed RB attack.

Sitting Spiller for the Browns game is probably a good idea. The way Spiller runs his ankles are of upmost importance. His ability to plant and cut requires healthy ankles. If he plays tonight he'll be a shell of his normal self and he could injure himself further. I'd rather have a healthy Spiller moving forward than him trying to tough it out and making matters worse.

It's obvious this guy has happy feet 2.0. The poor play selection is also hurting him. He seems very 1 dimensional. I'd rather see Fred Jackson and Tashard Choice start tomorrows game. I would redevelop the gameplan for spiller and let him rest up as he is becoming almost useless. Also why hasn't marcus easley in rotation as WR? stevie Johnson has become a decoy on the offense with most of the work being done by robert woods and scott chandler. They need to get more people involved. Thoughts?

Watch the first half again. Spiller ran very well.

Benching Spiller, as most have mentioned, borders on a moronic idea. The Bills do well with their two headed RB attack.

Sitting Spiller for the Browns game is probably a good idea. The way Spiller runs his ankles are of upmost importance. His ability to plant and cut requires healthy ankles. If he plays tonight he'll be a shell of his normal self and he could injure himself further. I'd rather have a healthy Spiller moving forward than him trying to tough it out and making matters worse.

It took 42 posts before I saw this reply. Freddy, Choice for Browns game would be perfict with a touch of Spiller. 10 days till next game. Dont bench him, rest him and his ankle. We cant afford for Fred or Spiller to go down. I for one was nervous when they both were hobbling last week. They didnt play as well on Offenceafter that.

Lets all play pile on the new guy huh. Seems to be fashionable around here. Sorry to say all you Spiller lovers but I ain't seen it yet. Fred has outplayed him big time getting yards when Spiller would have got nothing. If he can't do his fancy dancing into a brick wall at near 100% then I would rather see Fred and Choice too. When Spiller is healthy I still think you need to feed Fred and get him rolling. Good things seem to happen. Then you sprinkle in a little Spiller.

Edited by bmur66

clearly spiller has been under performing. Fred Jackson needs to start, while spiller regains his confidence.

Because everybody knows being yanked off the job and demoted is the way to build a guy's confidence. I take it you speak from personal experience, and this has worked for you?

This makes great sense. I did see the point made a bit earlier, that a small back needs to be healthy to be effective. I'm not sure I'd make Spiller inactive but def. consider the details of his recovery and watch his ability to plant and cut carefully in practice. Any questions, rest is a good idea.

Lets all play pile on the new guy huh. Seems to be fashionable around here. Sorry to say all you Spiller lovers but I ain't seen it yet.

Nope, piling on the new guy is not fashionable. Piling on the idiotic posts, on the other hand, is a known pastime here.

You aint seen it yet? Where to look, hmmm, maybe....last year's stats?

Lets compare stats so I can end this conversation with a GG

Fred Jackson Stats: 48 Rushing Attempts for 256 Yards Rushing = 5.3 yards a carry. Also has 113 Yards Receiving

CJ Spiller Stats: 66 Rushing Attempts for 230 Yards Rushing = 3.5 yards a carry. Also has 29 Yards Receiving

I hope you have someone else investing whatsoever money you may have to invest. You'd sell all your equities at the first market correction, I know it.

Or buy something because it's hot for a month, even if its past record and its future prospects are not as good.

How about these stats from last year:

Fred Jackson Stats: 115 Rushing Attempts for 437 Yards Rushing = 3.8 yards a carry. Also has 217 Yards Receiving

CJ Spiller Stats: 207 Rushing Attempts for 1244 Yards Rushing = 6.0 yards a carry. Also has 459 Yards Receiving

Hmmm, hmmm, let me think. What else is different between last year and this? Fitzpatrick is no longer our QB....no that's not it....Chan Gailey is no longer our offensive coordinator...hmmm, maybe....Wait, Wait, don't tell me....Levitre is no longer our LG! Eureka! Oh, second Eureka - Corey Mac was used a lot as a run blocker last year.

Maybe there's a correlation between the OL/run blocking and Spiller running successfully, whereas Fred is more able to punch a few yards on his own.

Stick around this board, but you'll learn more if you read and have an open mind. Bocephuz posted a great analysis of the difference in the run blocking between the Jets and Ravens game. I suggest that you read it with careful attention to the pictures. Spiller ran quite successfully in the first half of the Ravens game.

Edited by Hopeful

I love how everyone here thinks spiller is some sort've rushing god. currently, if spiller was to rush for what he is averaging right now. he wouldn't even get 1000 yards. The guy is sucking, simple as that.

I live how people take the last thing they see and make that what a player is all about.

PTR