What must the Bills prove to you today

boyst

Asking to win against the defending champion with a team that has not cracked .500 in how many years? I am not giving excuses but looking at it as a realist. What must be done today against the NFL's best team to let us believe we are getting better?

If you think like that you should not be on the team then. If you get scared, don't play football. Win, that is all that matters.

The fact you have to give me excuses to try and temper my expectation should make you realize that this team needs to stop with the excuses and start winning.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

Do any of ya'll feel like you may be asking too much? Do you want to see Rone built overnight? I would guess that is not a bad thing but if we are on the upward path what are the basics we need?

It is so hard to distemper a belief that we have to win it all every Sunday. I doubt I will even watch the game today and just end up listening to it.

I don't think I am. I don't expect a win. I expect to see NFL level competence from a coaching staff. If the players don't execute, that's one thing.. they're young and all. But, leaving Rogers one on one? Calling a 3rd and 1play that has guards and tackles pulling. That's putting your players in a position to lose.

What is it that the Buffalo Bills must prove to you today in order for you to believe this franchise is turning a corner and on the right path towards success?

Same thing that their predecessors have had to prove since the '90s, that this team is run by people that make the most out of what they have and don't underachieve with it.

Secondly, that they know WTF they're doing and demonstrate a solid understanding of the fundamentals of the game which is what makes champions.

Having said that, they're already digging out of a hole.

These guys come in and everyone says it can't possibly get worse, but it does get worse. Then the apologists for the debacle start making excuses for why it happens which is irrelevant 99% of the time.

It's quite simple, take what you have and get more from it than most people would. A victory is not necessary because Baltimore is a better team, but how about just putting together an O and D gameplan that at least makes you look competent. So far that has not happened in preseason or through three regular season games.

At least get par from what you have. They can't even do that.

Many of us just don't have the patience to watch people that are making millions of dollars in one year struggle to learn to do the things that most of us know are fundamentally required for success. Brandon promised experience and competence, thus far he's delivered neither.

So let's see it today!

Odds of that happening I'll leave up for discussion.

I want competence, plain and simple.

Edited by TaskersGhost

What is it that the Buffalo Bills must prove to you today in order for you to believe this franchise is turning a corner and on the right path towards success?

Is it simply coaching and coordination that needs to improve? Is it a set of players or an individual player? Will any unit need to improve to make you believe?

My answer to this will be on the OC and if this team is going to continue to do the same things it has the last three weeks. Today's game is winable for us when I look at it. The Ravens are a good team but they have holes - like us - and we can exploit those holes.

Even if they win today, that is not enough proof to say they turned the corner just yet. There are upsets every week. This team has a long way to go.

To show progress I would like to see them to play tougher football. Run and stop the run. I WOULD LIKE THIS TO LOOK AND SOUND LIKE A HOME GAME. I would like to see our star players make big plays when we need them.

I would like to see the HC and the OC be a bit more flexible. Running the hurry up with a rookie QB and the talent we have at receiver is kind of embarassing.

I heard this old football coach say one time "schemes don't win, good players do". I believe him.

Edited by Bob in STL

Lol yea asking for a win is too much. In a business where people get paid to win asking for one is too much.

Only one team can win, the Ravens are a better team and defending champs.

If we don't come out of this game having allowed an injured Rice and struggling Pierce to tear up this money bags defensive line, and if we can manage to control one single WR since the Ravens' receiving talent after that is worse than ours, and if Manuel and Hackett can not succumb to the obvious blitz packages that will be deployed by the Ravens today then consider it a good thing.

I wouldn't bet last week's trash that that happens tho.

If and when it does we can reconvene and discuss what may appear to be some significant progress. Until then however the odds are firmly against it happening.

If you think like that you should not be on the team then. If you get scared, don't play football. Win, that is all that matters.

The fact you have to give me excuses to try and temper my expectation should make you realize that this team needs to stop with the excuses and start winning.

Well, then...good thing I'm not on the team.

Even if they win today, that is not enough proof to say they turned the corner just yet. There are upsets every week. This team has a long way to go.

Which is my bigger point. Even if we lose, it might not be enough to say we haven't. I think this team has a long way to go. In a loss you can show more then in a win. Go down in flames or go down fighting. If you're going to be a kitty - be a lion. If you're going to be a bear - be a grizzly.

I don't think I am. I don't expect a win. I expect to see NFL level competence from a coaching staff. If the players don't execute, that's one thing.. they're young and all. But, leaving Rogers one on one? Calling a 3rd and 1play that has guards and tackles pulling. That's putting your players in a position to lose.

BRAVO!

As of yet we've not seen it.

I'm not the only one that got tired years ago of post-game pressers having to explain glaring buffoonery repeatedly and excuse-making, or this old "I have to take responsibility for the loss" nonsense.

Who cares about responsibility, we want competence.

If this staff doesn't work out then Brandon, the one directly responsible, should be fired. Not that that will fix the problem, but at least it will be a small step in the right direction.

I think that the more astute fans already know how this game is going to go down. Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in the game today, he's not going to be outcoached by Marrone, Pettine, much less Hackett.

Dumervil and Suggs are going to be coming fast and furious, this has the potential to slip into Rob-Johnson-ville for us.

Well, then...good thing I'm not on the team.

Which is my bigger point. Even if we lose, it might not be enough to say we haven't. I think this team has a long way to go. In a loss you can show more then in a win. Go down in flames or go down fighting. If you're going to be a kitty - be a lion. If you're going to be a bear - be a grizzly.

Your point isn't making any sense.

That we can show improvement whether we win or lose? That we can get better as a team even if we get beat by 3 TD's?

I am talking about what you are trying to tell me. Telling me to not expect to win every week like a loser. Loser mentality for 13 years has won you over.

If you are losing by 3 TDs then you are going backwards not improving.

Can you do me a favor and show me teams that lost by 3+ TDs yet people SATs and said "Damn they really improved this week"

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

BRAVO!

As of yet we've not seen it.

I'm not the only one that got tired years ago of post-game pressers having to explain glaring buffoonery repeatedly and excuse-making, or this old "I have to take responsibility for the loss" nonsense.

Who cares about responsibility, we want competence.

If this staff doesn't work out then Brandon, the one directly responsible, should be fired. Not that that will fix the problem, but at least it will be a small step in the right direction.

I think that the more astute fans already know how this game is going to go down. Harbaugh is one of the best coaches in the game today, he's not going to be outcoached by Marrone, Pettine, much less Hackett.

Dumervil and Suggs are going to be coming fast and furious, this has the potential to slip into Rob-Johnson-ville for us.

Exactly!

There have been some things about the coaching hires, but overall I'm seeing a coaching staff that looks every bit like they're learning to coach, just as the rookies are learning to play. And as the game footage piles up, they're looking even more out classed each week.

I am talking about what you are trying to tell me. Telling me to not expect to win every week like a loser. Loser mentality for 13 years has won you over.

If you are losing by 3 TDs then you are going backwards not improving.

Can you do me a favor and show me teams that lost by 3+ TDs yet people SATs and said "Damn they really improved this week"

If I was on the team it would be different. Any team I have been on I have expected to win. Every week, as fan, I hope to win. I have nothing to gain or lose with the outcome of the Bills. I feel a whole lot better for the week when they win but I have much more on my plate then Bills football.

scheming/coaching. we arent getting out worked, we are getting out smarted

To some extent, Mango, but in the All-22 I've seen and the quality breakdowns I've read on WGR and Rumblings, we have clearly had opportunities we've failed to take advantage of on offense (holes there for Spiller he was too impatient to hit, open receivers EJ didn't see because he was locked on the other side of the field), and mistakes in execution on defense (failure to set the edge in run D, overpursuit).

And then there are players who seem clearly overmatched in the NFL - Colin Brown, Rogers.

It's not all on the coaches and scheme here, some of this is fundamental stuff.

In other words, it would be nice to see the coaching staff show a level of comptence in and understanding of the game that's being played. I really don't want to sit on my couch in Idaho and feel like I know more about the game than our coaching staff.

Well... I saw a lot of what I wanted to see. By no means was it perfect, but a noticeable improvement in the game plan, use of the play clock, and a pumped up looking team.

There were still plenty of mistakes. Lots of room to get better. But, it was positive to see. Next week.... lets just see more of the same!

To show progress I would like to see them to play tougher football. Run and stop the run. I WOULD LIKE THIS TO LOOK AND SOUND LIKE A HOME GAME. I would like to see our star players make big plays when we need them.

I would like to see the HC and the OC be a bit more flexible. Running the hurry up with a rookie QB and the talent we have at receiver is kind of embarassing.

I heard this old football coach say one time "schemes don't win, good players do". I believe him.

^ this is what I said before the game!

Run and stop the run.

thanks to the coaching staff for trying something a bit different this week.