Derek Jeter & Andy Pettite take Mariano out of the Game

The Poojer

An awesome moment in American sports. Thanks Pooj for posting that and the video. Very powerful stuff.

I remember in 1997 when the Yankees didn't re-sign Wetteland and replace him with Rivera. I thought they were crazy, because Wetteland was really good.

Rivera is an immortal. He and Jeter spent their entire major league careers together. That doesn't happen much these days.

Thank you Mo!

i'm a lifelong Yankee fan, and I am not sure if Mo can't be considered the best Yankee ever. Jeter, Dimaggio, Mantle, Ruth, Berra yeah, they had all the glamor because they hit the ball. But Mo, was the best for pretty much 19 years. But I guess to be considered ONE of the best among that illustrious group isn't too shabby.

i'm a lifelong Yankee fan, and I am not sure if Mo can't be considered the best Yankee ever. Jeter, Dimaggio, Mantle, Ruth, Berra yeah, they had all the glamor because they hit the ball. But Mo, was the best for pretty much 19 years. But I guess to be considered ONE of the best among that illustrious group isn't too shabby.

It's tough to call a closer the best anything ever, other than the best closer, in my opinion. Before I continue, please let me make perfectly clear that Mariano Rivera is a first-ballot, unanimous HOF player and is the best closer in the history of baseball.

What set Mariano apart from other closers was his longevity/durability. I believe the average "lifespan" of a MLB closer is under 3 years. Just think about the craze surrounding the likes of John Wetteland, John Rocker, Eric Gagne, Francisco Rodriguez. Then look how quickly they disappeared.

That said, Mariano's ability to stay healthy (I've always credited his mechanics) allowed him to compile these phenomenal stats. Being on a perennial playoff team didn't hurt, either. But, in fairness, Mo was a big reason the Yanks were a perennial playoff team.

I don't think he can be considered the greatest Yankee ever, simply because of the nature of his role. The closer always comes in with a lead. He usually comes in with no inherited runners. He never encounters a situation where batters are seeing him for the second time in a game. Those are huge advantages. Furthermore, he pitches every few days (Mo had 64 appearances this year; I'm not sure what the average is for a closer).

I think, whenever the "best Yankee ever" discussion comes up, you have to look at every day players and go from there.

Mariano is EASILY one of the greatest Yankees ever ... just as easily as he is the greatest closer in the world.

Even greater than his statistics and his endurance ... he is one of the classiest men to ever wear a uniform in all of professional sports.

Thanks for that Pooj. Great to see.

Let me make a point here. The announcers were so much better about this than expected. They just **** up and let it happen. There's no words that needed to he added to this to make it special. It's already special.

Unlike that loud mouthed b%#*h going off about Clemmons in Steinbrenners box over and over.

Should be the first unanimous Hall of Famer. There is no rationale reason to not vote for the guy. Fantastic theater last night.

Funny you mention that. I was reading an article last year that said Jeter will be the first unanimous hall of famer. Honestly if anybody dos not vote yes for either one of these guys they should have the credentials taken away.

I am a lifelong Mets fan who really despises the Yankees but I have really come to appreciate Jeter & Mo. Ynakee fans should cherish them because they will never see a pair like that again in pinstripes in their lifetimes.