If Bryd is a man....

Estelle Getty

and then we (more likely with byrd than hopkins) may face a situation where the player can force his way out.

which is an added layer of complication with PF - the whole cant reliably diagnose. id be curious if one of the local writers or our own TBD guys that likes to research could delve into the rules as weve briefly touched on that issue before but never solidified the process.

Good point and one I didn't take into account. I think that if you can't play after 6 weeks the team should have some way to utilize your roster spot. Hopefully he suits up Thursday and puts the issue to rest.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Byrd is a fool not to play in this attacking defense. The D will only get better. If Byrd wants to be paid, no defense would showcase his abilities like the Bills. And I do not know how a football player watches his teammates from the couch, and does not rush to their aid. I wonder if the Bills players are harboring a grudge towards Byrd. Byrd is only hurting himself. !@#$ him if doesn't want to be a part

^This. It's a rhetorical question though, in my book. A player with "football character" NEVER prefers to sit on the couch if he is genuinely concerned about his teammates. We are seeing guys left and right getting banged up, from Urbik to Freddy to A Williams to CJ, all wanting to get back in and help out. Plus all the other guys playing at less than 100%. I think it borders on disgraceful.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't even care about Byrd right now. Leonard is playing great . If Bryd wants to be a pu$$y then have fun on the bench. With his professionalism, even if he suits up, I am not sure that he will give his 100% anyway. Like some of you have said, why would he risk injury on a one year deal? Right?

Edited by Big Hurt

It seems that many posters are ignoring the fact that he may very well have enough discomfort in his feet that he's not able to play at anywhere close to an NFL level.

In't that a possibility?

Calling him a disgrace and a wuss seems a little overboard when you really don't know what's going on with him and how he feels. If he's out there, great, and if not, then he's not. But let's not get stoopid about it.

It seems that many posters are ignoring the fact that he may very well have enough discomfort in his feet that he's not able to play at anywhere close to an NFL level.

In't that a possibility?

Calling him a disgrace and a wuss seems a little overboard when you really don't know what's going on with him and how he feels. If he's out there, great, and if not, then he's not. But let's not get stoopid about it.

He played at an All Pro level with the same injury for an ENTIRE season. How does it get worse after an ENTIRE off season and no camp? Sure, it's possible, but it's just too damned convenient and it reeks. Especially after his famous "100%" comment when everybody knows that NO regular player is at 100%. Sorry, he gets no benefit of the doubt here when so many others on that team are playing hurt. From a teammate perspective, yes, I DO find it disgraceful. If that makes me "stoopid' about it, so be it.

GO BILLS!!!

In't that a possibility?

Given the entire context of the situation, Byrd's demeanor when he has spoken to the media, his agent's track record of ruthlessness, and a wide range of other factors, I'd say it's a very, VERY remote possibility.

It's far more likely that he is pouting because the Bills didn't give him the contract he wants.

He played at an All Pro level with the same injury for an ENTIRE season. How does it get worse after an ENTIRE off season and no camp? Sure, it's possible, but it's just too damned convenient and it reeks. Especially after his famous "100%" comment when everybody knows that NO regular player is at 100%. Sorry, he gets no benefit of the doubt here when so many others on that team are playing hurt. From a teammate perspective, yes, I DO find it disgraceful. If that makes me "stoopid' about it, so be it.

GO BILLS!!!

So you don't think it's possible it got worse in the offseason when training? Is that an impossibility?

I wish he was playing, don't get me wrong - that is unless his injury would keep him from playing at an acceptable level - but here's the catch: I'm not a doctor and I have not seen him workout.

But those that are, and those that have, keep ruling him out. That's enough for me...

Tension mounting with injured star safety Jairus Byrd, Bills

Some within the Bills organization believe he could have already played this season, and that growing disconnect is creating mounting tension between the sides.

Furthermore, some in the Bills' locker room believe the Byrd situation, coupled with a dynamic last season in which some teammates and staff members believed Mario Williams' wrist injury was largely psychosomatic at times, has created a climate of uncertainty about the extent of ailments taking players out of games, according to sources close to the situation.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23910699/tension-mounting-with-injured-star-safety-jairus-byrd-bills

Ill agree big time here. You may not like the way the nfl runs its contracts but it's well known, expected, and any player could trade annual salary to boost guaranteed money but they are willing to roll the dice too.

When I saw the "honoring the spirit" post last night I've been debating how to reply to it without derailing the talks or sounding judgemental of those on the other side. I think if you asked me 5-10 years ago my take on the spirit would be very different than today.... But between the concussion suits, torodol, anecdotal stories like Jason Taylor's, and many fair but cold business decisions..... I used to be on the "team before self" bandwagon a lot more than I am now. Things like playing hurt being part of the spirit of being an nfl team first player. Now.... I have a hard time getting riled up behind the "be a man and get your painkillers and get out there." Byrds situation centers more around financial health than serious long term physical health so it's a bit of a distant second place in terms of importance/sympathy but still wraps back to that fundamental shift I've had on the idea of "team before self."

I agree and believe most people on the board do, if he is legitamently hurt and thinks he will hurt the team or himself he shouldn't play.

Most of the negative responses are assuming this is not the case. It was what I replied to.

If he is not in that amount of pain where his presence is a deterant, or in no pain, and simply sitting out to prove a point then he is not honoring his contract and that is NOT a right given in the CBA. If he leaves the team and doesn't get paid, I would think he is standing on principal.

Unemployment and welfare fraud are still wrong even if people believe they are owed something.

So you don't think it's possible it got worse in the offseason when training? Is that an impossibility?

I wish he was playing, don't get me wrong - that is unless his injury would keep him from playing at an acceptable level - but here's the catch: I'm not a doctor and I have not seen him workout.

But those that are, and those that have, keep ruling him out. That's enough for me...

I said in my post "sure, it's possible."

I'm just not buying it any more. Too convenient given the context of all that's gone on.

Makes me "stoopid" I guess.

GO BILLS!!!

In't that a possibility?

No.

I'm with stoopid.

The affliction was carefully chosen because there is no 'scan' that definitively shows the issue. It is diagnosed by past health, symptoms (such as where the pain is and what time of day your foot hurts most), and how physically active a person is..In short, "You say your foot hurts"

It is treated with rest. Based on Byrd saying that he played through all of last season with it, his issue would be considered critical at this juncture and Byrd should be getting steroid shots or having surgery to correct the problem.

So either his doctors are incompetent way beyond the level of malpractice that he has one of the longest diagnosed cases of Plantar Fasciitis and they have not adjusted their treatment recommendation or there is more

Keeping in mind, he has consulted outside doctors who may not be discussing particulars with the team. Does anyone know the exact legalities that an outside doctor has to share information with the team.

​I definitely give Parker a huge amount of credit for finding a nice loophole.

Edited by jeremy2020

Byrd's agent Eugene Parker (hard nosed agent ex..Jason Peters etc..) advised Byrd to sign the Franchise tender at the latest possible date so he can still collect his paycheck.

It was his plan to have Byrd avoid playing all year do to risk of injury and the the only way to do that would be to claim Byrd has Plantar fasciitis which is one of the only medical diagnosis that cannot be shown in any type of testing (X-rays etc..)

Think of of this way. Byrd claims he has Plantar fasciitis. He sits out all year, collects his 8 million dollars and has no risk of injury. Eugene Parker then knows the Bills will not risk Franchising him again next year and thus he is a free agent. Basically Eugene Parker is stealing from the Buffalo Bills claiming and advising his client to avoid playing and claim he has a bad case of Plantar fasciitis which cannot be properly diagnosed. I am sure the Bills lawyers are looking into this in every way possible.

I guarantee Byrd will not suit up for the Bills once this year.

Byrd's agent Eugene Parker (hard nosed agent ex..Jason Peters etc..) advised Byrd to sign the Franchise tender at the latest possible date so he can still collect his paycheck.

It was his plan to have Byrd avoid playing all year do to risk of injury and the the only way to do that would be to claim Byrd has Plantar fasciitis which is one of the only medical diagnosis that cannot be shown in any type of testing (X-rays etc..)

Think of of this way. Byrd claims he has Plantar fasciitis. He sits out all year, collects his 8 million dollars and has no risk of injury. Eugene Parker then knows the Bills will not risk Franchising him again next year and thus he is a free agent. Basically Eugene Parker is stealing from the Buffalo Bills claiming and advising his client to avoid playing and claim he has a bad case of Plantar fasciitis which cannot be properly diagnosed. I am sure the Bills lawyers are looking into this in every way possible.

I guarantee Byrd will not suit up for the Bills once this year.

Parker should know that the Bills WILL be tagging Byrd in 2014. Lets see how long the foot injury lasts.

Parker should know that the Bills WILL be tagging Byrd in 2014. Lets see how long the foot injury lasts.

It's a tough spot for the Bills. If they do tag him, he can sit out again with a sore foot. At that point, he will have made pretty good money and can still likely get a team to bite on him for a deal.

I'm also curious to see what happens with this now that the playbook is written. Will we see players every season all of the sudden reporting when the season begins and having PT? What will the NFL as a collective do about the move?

Edited by jeremy2020

It's a tough spot for the Bills. If they do tag him, he can sit out again with a sore foot. At that point, he will have made pretty good money and can still likely get a team to bite on him for a deal.

I'm also curious to see what happens with this now that the playbook is written. Will we see players every season all of the sudden reporting when the season begins and having PT? What will the NFL as a collective do about the move?

I like the idea of tagging him again to show other players and agents that the Bills new FO isn't getting pushed around.

If this becomes a thing by agents to circumvent the franchise tag then the NFL will have to take action.