A great job by the defense last week... My favorite 2 blitzes drawn up

jonramz

In honor of a great defensive performance... Here are play breakdowns of my 2 favorite blitzes by the Bills this week.

Besides, everyone and their brother have talked about the game winning TD

http://yardsperpass.com/ <--- view the whole blog

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=310 <---- A really funky blitz that isn't a blitz on 3rd and 9

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=300 <---- Double ILB cross zone blitz

Comments and questions always appreciated

-Jon

my favorite was the blitz on the hail mary attempt, never understood why teams dont do this and would just sit back rushing 3 and let the QB wait before launching the pass

i am a big fan of the cross ILB blitz in Madden...just saying

Edited by Max997

my favorite was the blitz on the hail mary attempt, never understood why teams dont do this and would just sit back rushing 3 and let the QB wait before launching the pass

i am a big fan of the cross ILB blitz in Madden...just saying

I agree... I've never seen that on a hail mary before, why give the QB the time to throw it that deep. Makes a lot of sense to me.

nice breakdowns, again.

Thanks I appreciate it! I love talking Bills football.

find some cover three for me, please. I'd like to put together what I think will benefit byrd greatly when he returns. The cover three shown is great. Byrd lacks the speed to reach the hashes and with mckelvin playing well and gilmore remaining at least the same I think this frees byrd to roam between the hashes.

If we force plays outside we put the ball in the air longer, we eliminate the ability to make the catch in bounds and YAC, and most importantly we take away the effective range of many QB's - and vision to look all the way across the field.

Look on Sunday for the Jets to run tight sets where Smith will be able to see the field quickly. His timing will be key and we will have to play our DB's on the LOS to delay these routes.

Geno Smith will run for over 40 yards this week.

find some cover three for me, please. I'd like to put together what I think will benefit byrd greatly when he returns. The cover three shown is great. Byrd lacks the speed to reach the hashes and with mckelvin playing well and gilmore remaining at least the same I think this frees byrd to roam between the hashes.

If we force plays outside we put the ball in the air longer, we eliminate the ability to make the catch in bounds and YAC, and most importantly we take away the effective range of many QB's - and vision to look all the way across the field.

Look on Sunday for the Jets to run tight sets where Smith will be able to see the field quickly. His timing will be key and we will have to play our DB's on the LOS to delay these routes.

Geno Smith will run for over 40 yards this week.

Bills have been running a ton more Cover 3 this year than in previous years. They are much more of a middle of the field safety type team now (cov3 rushing 4/5, cov1) w/ some quarters thrown in occasionally. Last week they played Cover 2-man basically only on the drive at the end of the 1st half and got smoked on it. Also rushed 3 w/ a DL spying a decent amount as well.

Is there any specific play you want to see? Or just some more cov 3 examples?

-Jon

Bills have been running a ton more Cover 3 this year than in previous years. They are much more of a middle of the field safety type team now (cov3 rushing 4/5, cov1) w/ some quarters thrown in occasionally. Last week they played Cover 2-man basically only on the drive at the end of the 1st half and got smoked on it. Also rushed 3 w/ a DL spying a decent amount as well.

Is there any specific play you want to see? Or just some more cov 3 examples?

-Jon

oh I've seen them I just like helping others see them and your articles are great.

I haven't seen any cover 0. I think we ran it a few times on goal line. I remember some cover 1 early in the Pats game. Cover 6 was used against the Panthers at about midway thru the 3rd IIRC.

With Byrd eventually coming back and Gilmore, too. I wonder what happens to Robey and Leonard. AWilliams needs to stay on the field. But does it make more sense to use Robey as a nickel then to keep Leonard on as a 3rd S? I think so... maybe not at first- let's see how Byrd does with the run and AWilliams being tasked more to play a typical SS. But I think Robey is in the McKelvin type realm of attributes on the field. I'd love a good zone CB though to plop there in the middle and set Byrd even more free when playing nickel.

Good talking defense with ya

Nice work. I was gonna write up blitz #1 myself, just because: somebody needed to acknowledge the awesome there.

That was such a cool design.

Here's my thing tho....if Pettine can design this, why can't he design an anti-Pats 2TE/1WR bunch formation play? That bunch play kept them from 3 and out multiple times.

I believe the thing to do there is have the DE/OLB on the side of the bunch blast the WR right off the snap. It's not like the WR will avoid him, because his job is stay where he is, or cut horizontally. This would blow up the play, as the 2 TEs are there to block, not catch. Also, do what this "not-blitz" did: since you have an extra CB due to the DE covering(no, blasting) the bunch WR, send him to blitz from the other side. He would be free, and the only thing we'd have to worry about? Tom Brady's scramble ability. :lol: But really? The free CB could easily run him down.

EDIT:

Even if this doesn't work(the TEs get loose), wouldn't the psychological effect of hitting their WR with DE intimidate them from running routs over the middle at full speed? Besides, wouldn't you probably break Amendola if you did this more than once? :lol:

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Stupid question: What is cover 0?

Nice work. I was gonna write up blitz #1 myself, just because: somebody needed to acknowledge the awesome there.

That was such a cool design.

Here's my thing tho....if Pettine can design this, why can't he design an anti-Pats 2TE/1WR bunch formation play? That bunch play kept them from 3 and out multiple times.

I believe the thing to do there is have the DE/OLB on the side of the bunch blast the WR right off the snap. It's not like the WR will avoid him, because his job is stay where he is, or cut horizontally. This would blow up the play, as the 2 TEs are there to block, not catch. Also, do what this "not-blitz" did: since you have an extra CB due to the DE covering(no, blasting) the bunch WR, send him to blitz from the other side. He would be free, and the only thing we'd have to worry about? Tom Brady's scramble ability. :lol: But really? The free CB could easily run him down.

EDIT:

Even if this doesn't work(the TEs get loose), wouldn't the psychological effect of hitting their WR with DE intimidate them from running routs over the middle at full speed? Besides, wouldn't you probably break Amendola if you did this more than once? :lol:

Thanks for the comments... Pettine really is creative and shows how much coaching matters. I think the Pats run a ton of option routes and read coverages on the fly a lot which makes it tough for the defense. I actually think they will go w/ more man coverage the next time they play them.

Thanks again, jonramz!!! Excellent read!! I love the "... 3-4 “crossfire” double a-gap zone blitz..." I always wanted to learn another language!!

haha I didn't make it up, I saw it in a playbook I had

Thanks for the comments... Pettine really is creative and shows how much coaching matters. I think the Pats run a ton of option routes and read coverages on the fly a lot which makes it tough for the defense. I actually think they will go w/ more man coverage the next time they play them.

Right, but how do they read the OLB running straight at the WR? Where's the option when you are looking up at the sky, dazed? I dunno. But, rather than playing straight up man against that, and risk being picked/blocked, why not attack it, and blow it up before it even starts?

In any event, with the DBs we have, and the ones we are waiting on to return, playing man is the answer to most other things. Sure, we have zone blitzes, but, given our pass rush now? Man is the way to go, even against premier QBs. McKelvin started to look like a #1 pick last game...because he was in man.

Edited by OCinBuffalo