If Stevie Catches it, do we lose?

BisonMan

Stevie also said on Jim Rome that Freddy purposely dropped that one over the middle that would have been for no gain. Said it was a great play by Freddy recognizing it.

I hadn't seen it confirmed until now but I was pretty sure that was intentional. Such a smart play. Its instinctive to catch the ball when thrown to you, and every single man out there is confident that they can break a tackle or juke their man an turn nothing into something. Thankfully, FJ was extremely aware and swatted that one down.

Don't like IFs?

Ok. Watch this: http://www.buffalobi...0a-86a9193a9c70

At 2:11, you can actually HEAR the PI happen. :lol:

Stevie was interfered with, no IF. The rest doesn't matter. An obvious penalty such as that renders all further speculation useless. 100/100 times, they call Keuchly for PI on that. Bills or no Bills. So, the real story here is how could Keuchly have been so stupid. And, EJ and company had discussed the potential for PI on that play, earlier in the week.

Given that angle, it appears Stevie would have caught the ball, no ifs. At the very least, he would have been free to make a play on the ball, and would have prevented the INT.

Actually if you look here: http://www.buffalobi...d1-0aaa5aa6b26b

You can plainly see that not only does Stevie, sans PI, have a shot at the ball, his angle means he could have run right by the safety and into the EZ.

As far as getting people up the field in time to spike it? They could have easily gotten that done. It only takes 10 seconds from then end of that play, assuming he gets tackled and doesn't score. Around 17 seconds would be left, -10 to get up and spike it, leaves about 7 seconds.

I saw that video too, and the first thing I thought was: you can REALLY tell it was true PI on that play. None of the other replays made it seem terribly obvious, but this one really clarifies it for me.

Given that angle, it appears Stevie would have caught the ball, no ifs. At the very least, he would have been free to make a play on the ball, and would have prevented the INT.

You can plainly see that not only does Stevie, sans PI, have a shot at the ball, his angle means he could have run right by the safety and into the EZ.

As far as getting people up the field in time to spike it? They could have easily gotten that done. It only takes 10 seconds from then end of that play, assuming he gets tackled and doesn't score. Around 17 seconds would be left, -10 to get up and spike it, leaves about 7 seconds.

The lower, field level camera angle surely shows the PI foul on Stevie, but the higher camera angle (normal game camera) shows the Panthers' coverage much better (the TWO safeties were right there behind him).

As to whether SJ would have caught it, whether it would have been intercepted, whether it would have been incomplete, or whether the Bills would have had enough time (after a completion & tackle) to run up and spike it.....ALL of the latter is PURE SPECULATION. To say, as you do above, that SJ would have caught the ball, "no ifs", is just homer view/wishful thinking. And may I remind you of the Pittsburgh OT game a couple years ago. LOL

I hadn't seen it confirmed until now but I was pretty sure that was intentional. Such a smart play. Its instinctive to catch the ball when thrown to you, and every single man out there is confident that they can break a tackle or juke their man an turn nothing into something. Thankfully, FJ was extremely aware and swatted that one down.

Fred also tweeted that out after the game that he purposely dropped it.

The lower, field level camera angle surely shows the PI foul on Stevie, but the higher camera angle (normal game camera) shows the Panthers' coverage much better (the TWO safeties were right there behind him).

As to whether SJ would have caught it, whether it would have been intercepted, whether it would have been incomplete, or whether the Bills would have had enough time (after a completion & tackle) to run up and spike it.....ALL of the latter is PURE SPECULATION. To say, as you do above, that SJ would have caught the ball, "no ifs", is just homer view/wishful thinking. And may I remind you of the Pittsburgh OT game a couple years ago. LOL

Well of course some assumptions are made. Would Stevie had suddenly tripped on air, preventing him from continuing on his course? Of course. Any number of things could have happened. I'm talking what was most likely to have happened. Barring something bizzarre? Yeah, no ifs, he would caught it. But, I didn't ONLY say that he would have caugh it. I specifically said "At the very least, he would have been in position to prevent the INT".

If you look at the ball, realtive to where Stevie was headed, I doubt he would even have had to jump to get it, certainly not enough to cause him to break stride, and that is why I say he would have been able to beat the safeties, as, they are standing, and he is running.

Spiking the ball is not speculation. :blink: They play began with 21 secs on the clock, and took 4 seconds. IF Stevie gets tackled, it takes 10 seconds(probably less) to run up and spike it. Remember that running up to the line and snapping quickily is what we do on EVERY play. In fact, on average, we only take 15-18 seconds off the play clock before snapping the ball. All we had to do here is spike it. That leaves 7 seconds. Plenty of time for 2 plays to the EZ from 5-10 yards out, assuming that is where Stevie was tackled.

No you may not remind me of the Pittsburgh game. You know why? Because of the Panthers game. The Panthers game is the game of record, when it comes to talking about Stevie catching last second TDs. It will be the game of record, until he's in that situation again.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I was re-watching the end of the Bills' game this morning (nice way to wake up). On the play where Kuechly interferes with Stevie, it appear that Stevie would have had a good shot at catching that ball. If Kuechly didn't hold him, I don't think Stevie would have scored on that play.

It looks like he would have had to make a high (perhaps leaping) catch around the 8 yard line. There were two safeties deeper than him on that play between him and the goal line. If he does catch it and gets tackled short of the goal line, I don't know if the Bills could have lined up fast enough to get off a downed pass.

As it was, the play-clock was stopped on the INT at :14. If Stevie gets tackled in about the same amount of time, the Bills would have had about 10-12 seconds to run down field and down the ball. At most they would have had one play to score. With the INT, the clock was stopped and the Bills had time for 3 plays from the 11 yard-line. Fortunately, they scored in just two.

Of course, Stevie might have caught it and juked the safeties and scored on that throw.

you really had me, til the last sentence

here is something to consider i hope, with the Panthers secondary decimated and about to use a RB as a DB we had an advantage that Nathaniel surely was totally aware of.

I would guess Manuel saw the mismatch against the MLB and took the chance for any or all of the above to occur. The PI was probably also a wise decision by Kuechly. a good chess match that we won.

.. next.

ps Fred was brilliant in dropping that ball. This is the stuff that has made him a fan favorite. Smart and smooth.

great ending to a Bills game and a darned good post

No, had he caught that pass against N.E., we would have won.

yes. Stevie has his mulligan for the year, and it is an expensive one for the Bills.

In crunch time, I suggest EJ look for Mr. Woods.

Stevie kinda sux when he needs to be good. Has for years.

No, had he caught that pass against N.E., we would have won.

yes. Stevie has his mulligan for the year, and it is an expensive one for the Bills.

In crunch time, I suggest EJ look for Mr. Woods.

Stevie kinda sux when he needs to be good. Has for years.

f

Stevie dropped that pass with 8 minutes and 50 seconds left in the game. It was by no means a game winner, nor a guarantee that we win the game if he catches it. There was still a lot of football to be played.

The Bills got the ball back with 5:51 left in the game. We still had the same 4pt lead that we had when Stevie dropped the ball. It was the inability on THIS drive to get a single first down, giving Brady the ball back with 4 and half minutes that contributed more to the loss than a single dropped pass mid-way throught the 4th quarter.

During the final drive of the Panthers game, Stevie was clutch adding to his 100+ yd receiving day.

I was re-watching the end of the Bills' game this morning (nice way to wake up). On the play where Kuechly interferes with Stevie, it appear that Stevie would have had a good shot at catching that ball. If Kuechly didn't hold him, I don't think Stevie would have scored on that play.

It looks like he would have had to make a high (perhaps leaping) catch around the 8 yard line. There were two safeties deeper than him on that play between him and the goal line. If he does catch it and gets tackled short of the goal line, I don't know if the Bills could have lined up fast enough to get off a downed pass.

As it was, the play-clock was stopped on the INT at :14. If Stevie gets tackled in about the same amount of time, the Bills would have had about 10-12 seconds to run down field and down the ball. At most they would have had one play to score. With the INT, the clock was stopped and the Bills had time for 3 plays from the 11 yard-line. Fortunately, they scored in just two.

Of course, Stevie might have caught it and juked the safeties and scored on that throw.

I didn't re review the DVR on the play but I think Stevie could have scored

BTW was he the same guy that laid a cheap shot on Stevie earlier well after the play was finished?

f

Stevie dropped that pass with 8 minutes and 50 seconds left in the game. It was by no means a game winner, nor a guarantee that we win the game if he catches it. There was still a lot of football to be played.

The Bills got the ball back with 5:51 left in the game. We still had the same 4pt lead that we had when Stevie dropped the ball. It was the inability on THIS drive to get a single first down, giving Brady the ball back with 4 and half minutes that contributed more to the loss than a single dropped pass mid-way throught the 4th quarter.

During the final drive of the Panthers game, Stevie was clutch adding to his 100+ yd receiving day.

so he helped to win one, and contributed heavily to a lost one for us, more or less. 8-8?

I love Stevei but as teh game wears on I hope to see more of Woods