Ndamukong Suh fined $100K for illegal block

papazoid

Pretty soon he'll be the type of player that offenses look at and say, "thank goodness he's suspended and we don't have to face him."

The guy has put a target on his own back and you can bet that both the NFL and the players don't mind taking aim. He's a dirtbag. There's a difference between making hard hits and needlessly jeopardizing other men's livelihoods and physical well-being. There is no excuse for going low on that block. None. He cost his team 6 points, himself another $100,000, and his reputation as a person, whatever was left of it.

You make good points.

But I personally don't care about his reputation or his character. This is a football game. If he helps me win it, I'm ok with him ruining his character. It's not mine after all.

You make good points.

But I personally don't care about his reputation or his character. This is a football game. If he helps me win it, I'm ok with him ruining his character. It's not mine after all.

I understand that, but there's a point at which his talent will be exceeded by his reputation in the minds of the men who play with him.

Take a look at Ryan Braun and A-Rod in baseball -- a sport where you are less dependent on the simultaneous play execution of your teammates. They are loathed right now. If they didn't have guaranteed contracts, I assure you that the teams would talk away from both of these players despite their talents and achievements.

There will be a point where Suh becomes such a problem child that no amount of talent will matter. See: Albert Haynesworth. A 32-year-old stud DT drafted in the top 10 should still be employable in this league. There's a reason he isn't.

You make good points.

Suh won't be helping the Lions win when he's not allowed to even practice, let alone play, with them.

I'm fine with the "badass" reputation and I don't mind a player with a chip on his shoulder. But when said player's conduct is detrimental to the entire team, that's simply not worth it to me.

Not to belabor another thread here, but this is the reason why a Byrd for Suh trade involving any scenario is foolish. This is the 6th time he's been fined for inappropriate activities on the field. The guy is just stupid.

i'd still rather be dealing with the Suh headache over the Tyrd headache.

at least Suh is on the field wreaking havoc and not home nursing two sore feet.

I understand that, but there's a point at which his talent will be exceeded by his reputation in the minds of the men who play with him.

Take a look at Ryan Braun and A-Rod in baseball -- a sport where you are less dependent on the simultaneous play execution of your teammates. They are loathed right now. If they didn't have guaranteed contracts, I assure you that the teams would talk away from both of these players despite their talents and achievements.

There will be a point where Suh becomes such a problem child that no amount of talent will matter. See: Albert Haynesworth. A 32-year-old stud DT drafted in the top 10 should still be employable in this league. There's a reason he isn't.

Can't really argue with you.

You make some valid points.

I just feel that at this point, he hasn't done anything outrageous enough to forego his talent. He may someday though.

Can someone clear up the cut block rules in the NFL for me? ( I get the no cut blocks while engaged thing) Its legal for O lineman and RBs etal, and I even saw a few thrown by a QB this weekend without flags thrown.

In Pop Warner they taught us to throw ones like Suh did, so it was legal back in the day.....

Edited by peterpan

Stay on point. Albert Haynesworth is out of the league because he got lazy and was no longer getting it done. If he were the Haynesworth that he was for the Titans then he would still be in the league.

Stay on point. Albert Haynesworth is out of the league because he got lazy and was no longer getting it done. If he were the Haynesworth that he was for the Titans then he would still be in the league.

It's not "off-point" to cite that one of the "most hated players in the league" is out of employment, and it wasn't just his laziness that got him there. The laziness was part of the total package from a guy who always believed that different rules applied to him.

Because Suh stomped on an arm, I don't know about you but I don't have a brain in my arm.

Haha you're right, thank you for the correction, but before the arm stomp he also pushed and grinded his victim's helmet into the turf while the victim was on the ground. I don't understand why the NFL would not take a harder stance against a player who seems to be going out of his way to injure people.

Edited by J-Gun Boone

You make good points.

I don't agree with this perspective at all. I am a fan of the game every bit as much as I am a fan of the Bills.

Suh's objective (IMO) is to make other players feel like they have to keep him in their peripheral vision because they're not sure when he's going to take a cheap, illegal shot. That may "help" his team win by way of distraction, but it is bad for the game. This type of play injures people unnecessarily. It adds pressure for the types of rule changes that we all lament. It's unprofessional. And, I don't buy his excuses one bit. If he doesn't have the awareness that the play has moved downfield (he does), then he shouldn't be on the field.

And, just to clarify, I don't care so much about character, or reputation. I'm fine with there being "bad guys" on the field. Just not cheaters.

I put some of this on Jim Schwartz, as well. I'm all for coaching a team to be feared. But, it's gotta be for the right reasons.

Edited by Rocky Landing