It's In Philly, Not Buffalo

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking the same thing. They werent doing anything crazy out of the ordinary offense wise. Just up-tempo all game, on a national stage. Hence the attention.

I saw tons of ways to break the offense. That quick chop block the offense was doing for the quick passes? This was to keep the D lines hands down and so Vick could get the pass off quick. If the receivers are pressed at the line and can't get off right away, Vick is gonna get pounded every single play. How will he hold up?

Exactly. I can't see Vick lasting the season with the amount of hits he took last night. And the book on Vick is that he looks good for about 6 games & defenses adjust. As you said, it looked like Was started adjusting in the 2nd half.

I wouldn't take a lot from that first game.

Game tape exists now and other opposing teams won't be so stubborn in staying in their base defense when it's not working.

While watching the game last night during that first half I was sure Dave Wannstedt was Washington's defensive coordinator.

My bet: Chip Kelly's offense is a lot like Chan Gailey's was in that it catches teams by surprise for a couple weeks early on until it's figured out.

Seemed like Washington figured it out in the 2nd half

CBF

FYI, The Eagles deliberately slowed their offensive play calling pace after getting up by 26 points.

They slowed their pace down but they also couldn't get a first down in the 2nd half. The Eagles offense in the first half looked great but the Redskins defense was putrid. It's not a coincidence that when the Skins played better defense in the 2nd half, the Eagles weren't moving the ball like they were.

Game tape exists now and other opposing teams won't be so stubborn in staying in their base defense when it's not working.

While watching the game last night during that first half I was sure Dave Wannstedt was Washington's defensive coordinator.

My bet: Chip Kelly's offense is a lot like Chan Gailey's was in that it catches teams by surprise for a couple weeks early on until it's figured out.

It was Haslett. Not much difference

The pac12 had game tape on Kelly's offense for years. How did that turn out? Sure they lost a couple of games a year. But, other than Stanford's front 4 no one stopped them (last season). This year without him the ducks still using his system are averaging around 60 points a game. Kelly is not a one trick pony as his doubters will learn.

The pac12 had game tape on Kelly's offense for years. How did that turn out? Sure they lost a couple of games a year. But, other than Stanford's front 4 no one stopped them (last season). This year without him the ducks still using his system are averaging around 60 points a game. Kelly is not a one trick pony as his doubters will learn.

Are you really comparing the PAc 12 to the NFL? The Pac 12 has been known as soft, poor defenses conferences for years. Talent level on the college level can be completely slanted. In the NFL, things are more even. It should be interesting to see if Kelly's offense really takes the NFL by storm or it's a gimmick like Spurrier's.

They slowed their pace down but they also couldn't get a first down in the 2nd half. The Eagles offense in the first half looked great but the Redskins defense was putrid. It's not a coincidence that when the Skins played better defense in the 2nd half, the Eagles weren't moving the ball like they were.

I think the Eagles lack of success in the 2nd half is somewhat connected to the slower pace. Maybe they shouldn't have been so quick to take their foot off the gas??

Has a anyone mentioned the amount of penalties the Eagles and Redskins committed?

Eagles had 8 for 65 yards and the Skins had 10 for 75.

I think the Eagles lack of success in the 2nd half is somewhat connected to the slower pace. Maybe they shouldn't have been so quick to take their foot off the gas??

No. The Redskins defense was so bad in the first half and their offense was turning the ball over at will really.

The Eagles couldn't move the ball in the 2nd half. They slowed it down but kept getting stuffed. If the offense is sooooooooo great and better than ours, then why was it so ineffective after halftime?

The Eagles offense in the 2nd half was as effective as ours was in the 1st quarter.

Bottom line: You shouldn't make conclusions without having sufficient data/sample size to support the claim.

Are you really comparing the PAc 12 to the NFL? The Pac 12 has been known as soft, poor defenses conferences for years. Talent level on the college level can be completely slanted. In the NFL, things are more even. It should be interesting to see if Kelly's offense really takes the NFL by storm or it's a gimmick like Spurrier's.

Like I mentioned his doubters will find out he is not a one trick pony. Witness, his ability to put the brakes on in the second half. Sure the skins came back. But Kelly got the win. To him that's all that counts. If you have watched every Ducks game (I was forced too I lived there for 4 years) the guy can flat out coach. Currently they have the longest win streak on the road in the NCAA. This is no fluke.

I like Marrone, but perhaps Brandon should have interviewed Kelly longer than 20 minutes. He is the current innovator of the hurry up offense not Marrone.

Has a anyone mentioned the amount of penalties the Eagles and Redskins committed?

No. The Redskins defense was so bad in the first half and their offense was turning the ball over at will really.

The Eagles couldn't move the ball in the 2nd half. They slowed it down but kept getting stuffed. If the offense is sooooooooo great and better than ours, then why was it so ineffective after halftime?

The Eagles offense in the 2nd half was as effective as ours was in the 1st quarter.

Bottom line: You shouldn't make conclusions without having sufficient data/sample size to support the claim.

Well then say goodbye to ESPN, sports radio, and message boards.

Ohio State and Alabama stopped Oregon with big fast mobile DE's. There are lots of those in the NFL playing every Sunday. Kelly is smart but he is also confrontational with the media. I think this will hurt him in Philly. Winning allows everything. If you are not winning then one word answers to legitimate questions will not go over well in Philadelphia.

Like I mentioned his doubters will find out he is not a one trick pony. Witness, his ability to put the brakes on in the second half. Sure the skins came back. But Kelly got the win. To him that's all that counts. If you have watched every Ducks game (I was forced too I lived there for 4 years) the guy can flat out coach. Currently they have the longest win streak on the road in the NCAA. This is no fluke.

I like Marrone, but perhaps Brandon should have interviewed Kelly longer than 20 minutes. He is the current innovator of the hurry up offense not Marrone.

Fair enough. But college is a long way from the NFL. How did Nick Saban turn out in the NFL? Spurrier? Schiano? Let's jsut settle down about a game against a QB who didn't play a snap in the preseason.

I said it was somewhat related to the slower pace, not the sole reason. Read the entirety of what is posted before reacting and expressing your opinion.

I said it was somewhat related to the slower pace, not the sole reason. Read the entirety of what is posted before reacting and expressing your opinion.

I did read the entirety of it. Even if you say that it being somewhat related is true. It still really isn't why that offense was so ineffective in the 2nd half.

IMO Vick never will hold up for the season in this offense. They will go through QBs as they hang them out to dry with the pass protection. The Iggle OL wasn't even blocking anyone in the 2nd half. Wait until Charles Barkley is running it toward the end of the year and see how good it is.

I've been driving the Chip bandwagon since forever. He's gonna be great. He gets it. Going for it w/out hesitating on 4th&1 the first possession = awesome.

The "1 game sample" argument is fair enough but at the same time every old foggy & their brother would be gloating about him being a flop if they lost 28-10.

Edited by BuffOrange