Keys To Victory : Bills vs. Panthers

1. Win the turnover battle

2. Rush the QB

3. Protect the QB

4. Stop the run

5. Run the ball

6. Play solid special teams

7. Commit fewer penalties

The Bills did several of these better than or equal to the Patriots and that is why the game was close.

Rinse and repeat in that order for the next 15 weeks...

Carolina's defense holds Seattle to 12 points.

The Panthers defense was impressive at times last year and then again during the preseason, with Luke Kuechly noticeably featuring as a superstar-caliber player. Against the Seahawks, he wasn't the only one. Carolina's front seven overwhelmed Seattle, shutting down its running game while forcing Russell Wilson to fight for every throwing lane and scrambling opportunity imaginable. Given the quality of the opposition, it might have been the best defensive performance by any front seven all day.

It's hard to remember Marshawn Lynch looking this bad during his recent run as one of the league's most productive running backs, but there he was on Sunday, running for a mere 43 yards on 17 carries. He had two games roughly like this last year, running for 41 yards on 15 carries against the Pats and 46 yards on 19 carries against the Dolphins, but Lynch otherwise produced no fewer than 85 rushing yards in any of his other 14 games. They didn't offer much soup to Wilson, either, as his five carries produced just seven yards. Carolina's run defense was a respectable 11th in DVOA a year ago, but this could be the sign of an improved unit. Remember that the Buccaneers' dominant run defense of a year ago announced itself in Week 1 by holding the Panthers to 10 yards on 13 carries. Not proof, but something to watch for going forward.

Unfortunately for the Panthers, when Wilson did wriggle himself open and find time to throw, he was very effective. Wilson went 25-of-33 for 320 yards with a touchdown, and that included a dropped touchdown by Stephen Williams on the play before that touchdown pass, which instead went to Jermaine Kearse. The Carolina secondary just can't hold up in coverage, and if teams can keep the front seven off their quarterback, Carolina will struggle to make plays in the defensive backfield. Holding the front seven off, though, is easier said than done.

If they could throw the ball, why did Seattle only manage to score 12 points? Long fields and extenuating circumstances. The Seahawks had five drives of 45 yards or more, but one ended in a red zone fumble, two resulted in field goals, one produced the passing touchdown (with a failed two-point conversion), and the fifth ran out the game over the final five minutes.

The Bills nearly beat the Patriots.

It always seems like Buffalo plays New England tough, especially at home, but this was a Bills team without the two best players in its secondary, Stephon Gilmore and Jairus Byrd, and with a rookie quarterback — EJ Manuel — returning from August knee surgery to start his first NFL game. As I mentioned earlier, the Bills were 10-point underdogs at home. So how did they nearly pull off a massive upset?

Their old favorite tricks, that's how. For one, they created takeaways. The Patriots turned the ball over three times, and those were three big plays. One was a Stevan Ridley fumble just outside the red zone, a play that shockingly got New England's starting running back benched for the remainder of the day. Buffalo intercepted Tom Brady just before halftime to take over on the New England 37-yard line on what became a quick touchdown drive, but most notably, it recovered a botched snap on fourth-and-goal against its own goal line, preventing Brady from scoring while taking over on downs. If only the Patriots had a big, bruising short-yardage quarterback who could have taken a shotgun snap and run the ball in behind the tackles. With an alliterative name. You know, like Jordan Jefferson. Oh, who were you thinking of?

The Bills also kept the Patriots from producing big plays, something that might be more about the New England offense than the Buffalo defense. The Patriots had just one play of 25 yards or more, a 35-yard reception by Julian Edelman. Otherwise, the Patriots were forced to slowly drive the ball down the field with a series of short passes to relatively well-covered receivers. They struggled during the second quarter when Danny Amendola left the game with a groin injury, and then relied upon him heavily upon his return in the second half, with Amendola converting first downs on seven of the eight passes thrown to him on third down. New England faced a whopping 20 third downs amid its 89 plays on the day, converting 11 of them.

Again: This might very well be more about the Patriots' weaknesses than the Bills' strengths. We'll see in the coming weeks, but the Patriots absolutely need to find somebody who can stretch teams downfield. That might end up simply being Rob Gronkowski, but the Patriots would hope for a wideout who can join Gronkowski as part of a collective capable of getting 20 yards downfield.

now those are two informative reviews . . . and while I do want to give the Bills D credit (it is deserved for a good effort), his observation that this game was more about the limitations and schemes of the Patriots Offensive than great a Bills Defense, is probably correct.

Do all the ex-pats who live in Carolina root for the Panthrs now ?

Hell freaking no. Just like I don't root for the Hurricanes. Besides, although they're called the "Carolina" Panthers they're Charlotte's team. The Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area (the Triangle) where I live is 2.5 hours to the east.

1. Win the turnover battle

2. Rush the QB

3. Protect the QB

4. Stop the run

5. Run the ball

6. Play solid special teams

7. Commit fewer penalties

The Bills did several of these better than or equal to the Patriots and that is why the game was close.

Rinse and repeat in that order for the next 15 weeks...

Good one.... but lets move Commit Fewer Penalties up a few notches in light of how they devastated 2 promising drives and seems to have been a problem throughout the preseason. But good every week summary list nonetheless...

Do all the ex-pats who live in Carolina root for the Panthrs now ?

Not me and none of the ones I know. There are plenty of people from other parts of the country living in Charlotte that have switched but no Bills fans that I know. I think most would prefer they win but feel no connection whatsoever.

Did anybody watch the Panthers game?

What are some names to watch for on the opposing team?

What are their strengths and weaknesses?

What are the keys to a Bills victory?

I saw some of the game on Red Zone and also watched some of their PS games. Their best players are Luke Keuchly, MLB, Cam Newton, Steve Smith and IMO Tedd Ginn is a huge weapon the Bills will need to account for both at WE and kick returns.

They have a very good, underrated defense. They really held Seattle in check until the end of the game but still didn't give up many points. They completely stopped Lynch. Their offense is inconsistent. It will be hard to game plan for Newton and his abilities, but he has a tendency to throw picks and make mistakes. I do not think they are well coached.

This is a game the Bills should win at home. It will be interesting in that this is such a different team than the Pats. But, Newton is dangerous and they need to seriously watch out for Ginn, he is world-class fast and take a KR to the house. Also, Keuchly is good for a pick 6, he is an absolute beast. These things worry me with a rookie QB.

GO Bills!!!!

So I'm guessing after reading that, Spiller will be held to a non existent game again huh? I guess we gotta roll wit Freddy this week.

I saw some of the game on Red Zone and also watched some of their PS games. Their best players are Luke Keuchly, MLB, Cam Newton, Steve Smith and IMO Tedd Ginn is a huge weapon the Bills will need to account for both at WE and kick returns.

They have a very good, underrated defense. They really held Seattle in check until the end of the game but still didn't give up many points. They completely stopped Lynch. Their offense is inconsistent. It will be hard to game plan for Newton and his abilities, but he has a tendency to throw picks and make mistakes. I do not think they are well coached.

This is a game the Bills should win at home. It will be interesting in that this is such a different team than the Pats. But, Newton is dangerous and they need to seriously watch out for Ginn, he is world-class fast and take a KR to the house. Also, Keuchly is good for a pick 6, he is an absolute beast. These things worry me with a rookie QB.

GO Bills!!!!

After week one it's easy to say that we're worried about Carolina's D after the way they held Marshawn to 43 yards but I will agree with you and put the focus on their offense. If we can stop their offense and start from good field position, that to me is key.

i live in Charlotte. This team has weapons on both sides of the ball, but they can't get out of their own way sometimes. Cam is the leader, but he also wants the spotlight and that doesn't mesh very well. They'll put up a few really impressive drives, some spectacular runs/throws, but in the end, if you play them for 60 minutes with consistency, you'll beat them handily.

i live in Charlotte. This team has weapons on both sides of the ball, but they can't get out of their own way sometimes. Cam is the leader, but he also wants the spotlight and that doesn't mesh very well. They'll put up a few really impressive drives, some spectacular runs/throws, but in the end, if you play them for 60 minutes with consistency, you'll beat them handily.

Again, I'm envisioning a very confused Cam Newton...