Hurry Up Offense at the End of a Game

Storm Front

I'm not saying "Fire Marrone/Hackett" or "Dump the 'Up Tempo/No Huddle' Offence", but this coaching staff will need to learn to adjust during the game and not be so stubborn about what they are going to run all the time if they want to make the step up and play with the big boys. This game is all about adjustments, and its not like the offence was playing spectacular all day and were moving the ball at will against the Pats. Theres a time where its appropriate to slow things down and take some time off the clock, its what BB and the Pats did on that last drive to ensure they would put themselves in line for a chance to win the game and give the bills little to no time left when they get the ball back.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like there won't be a concenses on this. It will be interesting to see what Chip Kelly does with his hurry up in a similar situation.

On another note, did anyone else think the Bills started using their timeouts too late? Not that our D stopped them anyway, but I was expeting them to use the timeouts right after the 2 minute warning, especially after getting that penalty on NE*.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

In the last quarter the NE defense had to play 4:09 minutes, defend 10 plays total, during which the Buffalo defense racked up 20 yards in total offense and converted one 3rd down. One of those plays had a long stoppage to enforce a penalty. How does a hurry up offense tire the defense out at that grueling pace, lol?

For the hurry up offense to work, you must first have an offense able to complete plays. The hurry up is just a gimmick, if you do not first work on execution. If the coaching staff wants to live and die by the hurry up, they must first teach the players how to properly execute before they then try to play hurry up. If the players are rushing too much to be able to properly execute, you have a problem. You have to be able to walk before you can run.

In the last quarter the NE defense had to play 4:09 minutes, defend 10 plays total, during which the Buffalo defense racked up 20 yards in total offense and converted one 3rd down. One of those plays had a long stoppage to enforce a penalty. How does a hurry up offense tire the defense out at that grueling pace, lol?

For the hurry up offense to work, you must first have an offense able to complete plays. The hurry up is just a gimmick, if you do not first work on execution. If the coaching staff wants to live and die by the hurry up, they must first teach the players how to properly execute before they then try to play hurry up. If the players are rushing too much to be able to properly execute, you have a problem. You have to be able to walk before you can run.

Your point?

For the hurry up offense to work, you must first have an offense able to complete plays.

Of course, you could replace "hurry up" with any other style of offense and this sentence would still be true. The offensive skill group on this roster is a good fit for what Marrone/Hackett are trying to do, which is of course by design. They made strides yesterday and looked generally competent if unspectacular. It's probably wise to reserve ultimate judgement for another week besides Week 1.

Are you factoring in ad break time? Because honestly, that takes up far more time than the game itself.

We needed first downs. Huddling wouldn't have changed that, assuming the plays and the execution were the same. And I think we have to take that as fact because those were the real results.

All that said, I hope that when we ARE in that situation and we get a couple first downs to keep the clock moving, that Marrone will instruct EJ to run more clock before the snap. I just think with 5 plus minutes left, up by 1, I can see where he was coming from after thinking about it.

Here's the thing that you and all the others saying that "it just didn't matter because they didn't execute and get the first downs": Yes, we all agree that they did need to get first downs, and keep the ball moving down the field.....BUT IF they did that using the hurry up, then stalled in the red zone. and had to kick a FG, it still would have left plenty of time for Brady to come back for a possible game-winning TD.

OTOH, if they're milking the clock for every second, go down the field and stall in the red zone, and then kick the FG,...well, obviously in the course of picking up the 4-5 first downs to get into the red zone, there would be much less time left (if any) for the Pats (after the FG).

The ONLY time, late in the game, that anyone should ever run the no huddle offense, is when they're behind.

Edited by John in Jax

[/size]

Here's the thing that you and all the others saying that "it just didn't matter because they didn't execute and get the first downs": Yes, we all agree that they did need to get first downs, and keep the ball moving down the field.....BUT IF they did that using the hurry up, then stalled in the red zone. and had to kick a FG, it still would have left plenty of time for Brady to come back for a possible game-winning TD.

OTOH, if they're milking the clock for every second, go down the field and stall in the red zone, and then kick the FG,...well, obviously in the course of picking up the 4-5 first downs to get into the red zone, there would be much less time left (if any) for the Pats (after the FG).

The ONLY time, late in the game, that anyone should ever run the no huddle offense, is when they're behind.

This whole discussion is about the Bills' second to last possession when they got the ball with 5:51 to play. They had ONE, count em ONE, opportunity to milk the play clock all the way down; after the 1st down run by Spiller. They could have used a grand total of 26 more seconds. Period. Brady would have got the ball at 4:05 vs. 4:31 and, as previously stated, with all his timeouts and the 2 minute warning, it wouldn't have made a difference.

If you are arguing that had the Bills huddled or slowed the pace, how would that have resulted in a better first down run by Spiller, a completed pass on 2nd down, or a longer completion to Chandler on 3rd down? Answer: it wouldn't have because the pace had nothing to do with execution.

That's all anyone is saying here. It makes no sense to me to wonder about things that could have happened if they got first downs and continued the fast pace and then only had to settle for a FG in the red zone. We can speculate about ANY aspect of the game at ANY time and how that would have effected the outcome. We can only honestly deal in what DID happen.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Your point?

As a coach you must first coach a team to be able to play a disciplined and effective game. When they are at that point, then you coach them to play the no huddle. You don't skip a step and expect to get the best results. You can't hurry up the training and coaching process and expect optimum results. The lack of proper preparation and coaching has shown in the number of penalties and the poor execution. Brady had an offense that was awful in this game beyond Vereen & Amendola (who both also played with serious injuries) and Edelman, yet they still beat the Bills. This should have been a winnable game for the Bills, and I have questions about the effectiveness of this offensive coaching staff.

Edited by simpleman

Mr. Marrone, please tune into the eagles game tonight. Thank you.

Do you think the difference between the Bills and Eagles offensive output in Week 1 has anything to do with the inexperience of a rookie QB that missed 2+ weeks of practice and preseason reps? Because I think what we're seeing tonight is exactly what Marrone and Hackett have in mind.

Do you think the difference between the Bills and Eagles offensive output in Week 1 has anything to do with the inexperience of a rookie QB that missed 2+ weeks of practice and preseason reps? Because I think what we're seeing tonight is exactly what Marrone and Hackett have in mind.

No! The difference is that the Eagles "playmakers" are making plays and the Bills "playmakers" didn't! Deshawn Jackson and "Shady" McCoy are showing you how it gets done.

He can still watch and take some of the good things away from it. I know they were constrained by EJ.

No! The difference is that the Eagles "playmakers" are making plays and the Bills "playmakers" didn't! Deshawn Jackson and "Shady" McCoy are showing you how it gets done.

New England would defend a veteran playmaker like Vick the same as a rookie in his first NFL start coming off a knee scope that kept him out for 2 weeks?

Spiller would probably have gaudy stats in Philly's offense tonight.

He can still watch and take some of the good things away from it. I know they were constrained by EJ.

Marrone and Hackett have borrowed quite a bit from Kelly. I'm not sure they'd see anything new tonight that they haven't seen. Having said that, I'd hope they're adaptable and continue to evolve the scheme.

As a coach you must first coach a team to be able to play a disciplined and effective game. When they are at that point, then you coach them to play the no huddle. You don't skip a step and expect to get the best results. You can't hurry up the training and coaching process and expect optimum results. The lack of proper preparation and coaching has shown in the number of penalties and the poor execution. Brady had an offense that was awful in this game beyond Vereen & Amendola (who both also played with serious injuries) and Edelman, yet they still beat the Bills. This should have been a winnable game for the Bills, and I have questions about the effectiveness of this offensive coaching staff.

Your ability to dance around a point is stupifying.

...and our quarterback was 11 when theirs took his first NFL snap...

Well for one the Eagles aren't running the same offensive set EVERY single down. As I've said before, the offensive play calling was BAD yesterday.

Which ones?