A few questions about the game, in a very particular order

bbb

I'll never trade the game and pre/post game tailgating for the TV experience, but you do end up having a few questions, such as:

1.) Why did Marrone challenge the fumble early in the game when we didn't even recover the ball?

2.) Why did he punt on 4th and one in Patriots territory? I thought that old school thinking and he was part of this new analytics era?

Thought I had more but I guess that's it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We are lucky the challenge TO didn't have any effect on the game. That was bizarre.

I remember wondering why the Bills ran Spiller up the middle on 3rd & 1, instead of having Manuel keep the ball and running for a first down. Which then brought up 4th & 1 and the ensuing punt.

Why did they keep running Spiller up the middle. We were running the same play up the middle with Freddy and he was getting the yards. We even ran the play 3 times in a row and it worked.

I'll never trade the game and pre/post game tailgating for the TV experience, but you do end up having a few questions, such as:

1.) Why did Marrone challenge the fumble early in the game when we didn't even recover the ball?

2.) Why did he punt on 4th and one in Patriots territory? I thought that old school thinking and he was part of this new analytics era?

I believe he was told the wrong thing on the challenge. I have no proof, but he'd be the dumbest coach in the history of football if he actually challenged that. He probably thought we got the ball, and they ruled he was down.

No guts on that 4th and 1. That was a pivotal point in the game too-- we had just taken back all the momentum with a great defensive stand, if I recall. Plus, when you're playing the Patriots with a young team, you have to take those chances. To me, not going for it on the 4th and 1, showed very poor Jauronian coaching instincts.

If Marrone had gone for it and the Bills turned the ball over people would be crucifying him. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

I don't think so. I wouldn't be, for sure. I can't stand when Mike Schopp goes on and on about never punt...........But, I do think when it's 4th and 1 and your in enemy territory, that is 4 down territory in most cases.............And, at the time we were really struggling to get anything going. That's the time you go, IMO.

No guts on that 4th and 1. That was a pivotal point in the game too-- we had just taken back all the momentum with a great defensive stand, if I recall. Plus, when you're playing the Patriots with a young team, you have to take those chances. To me, not going for it on the 4th and 1, showed very poor Jauronian coaching instincts.

Haha - I was going on saying that's Gregg Williams-like, that's Jauron-like, etc.

It was time to make a statement that things are different now!

Haha - I was going on saying that's Gregg Williams-like, that's Jauron-like, etc.

It was time to make a statement that things are different now!

Sadly, both of those guys (and now Marrone) made the exact same decision in similar circumstances with the same result: punt into the endzone, net 20 yards. I mean, didn't we all see that coming?

I remember that 4th and one and was thinking the exact same thing.

Despite all the rhetoric about analytics and being on the cutting edge, Marrone is looking more like same ol' in terms of in game philosphy on 4th downs.

He called for a comically bad punt in the 1st Qtr @Missouri last yr in what was obviously going to be a shootout. I like Marrone otherwise but am sadly not surprised.

Good news is next week's opponent Ron Rivera has the smallest nads in the league and that's saying something.

Running CJ up the middle on 3rd & 1 is what brought up the 4th & 1... I understand hindsight is 20/20 but by that point it was clear that CJ was getting stuffed on inside runs all day and Marrone should have gone with another call. He is not the type of back to burst through the line for a tough 1 yard gain.

Sadly, both of those guys (and now Marrone) made the exact same decision in similar circumstances with the same result: punt into the endzone, net 20 yards. I mean, didn't we all see that coming?

They really were almost the exact situation. So weird that that would happen...........But, no - I didn't see it coming.............I'm like Charlie Brown - thinking this one time Lucy is really going to hold the ball.

If Marrone had gone for it and the Bills turned the ball over people would be crucifying him. Damned if you do, damned if you don't

If we didn't get the first down we would have gotten the ball back with enough time to score rather than give the ball back to Brady with enough field to run the clock out. I'll never crucify a coach for trying to keep the ball out of Brady's hanks. Should have gone for it an let the chips fall where they fall.

That was puzzling but overall like what he is doing.

I would like to know why they didn't take more time off the clock while they were up 1 with under 5 minutes to go in the game. They were still snapping the ball with 20+ seconds left on the play clock. Even if they had gone 3 and out it would have taken another minute or so off the clock. Eat that time away and protect the lead.

Edited by Kevin