Positives and Negatives from Week One vs. Pats

I'll start with negatives just to not end on an end note.

Negatives:

1. Fred was moving the chains yet not given the chance to play the last series.

2. Stevie dropping that 2 yard pass which would have got us a 1st down and killed time.

3. Speaking of killing time, hurrying up the offense when Marrone should go in to clock management mode.

4. Spiller not looking comfortable and looked jittery and nervous.

5. Not enough disguise in blitzes in the 2nd half which seemed to work in the 1st half,

6. Penalties. I mean damn.

7. I just want to put clock management on this list one more time

Positives:

1. Defense looked pretty damn good. One of the more hard hitting Bills defenses I've seen in a while

2. EJ looked very comfortable and mature. Very confident

3. Freddy looks like he's back and healthy.

4. Robey actually surprised me and looked decent out there.

5. Kudos to Alonso and Brooks. Played a heck of a game

6. Won the turnover battle and got pressure on Brady.

All in all I believe we have a lot to be happy about and look forward to. The only set back is that this week was the week to beat New England while they are still rough. As the season goes along his young receivers will learn the Brady way and they will be a tougher team to play down the road.

We're 0-1 and last place in the AFC East but New England plays the Jets on Thursday so one of those teams will lose and Miami may go down also. With a win next week we can move up to 3rd place and so on.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

Clock management. It was odd to have a rookie first game qb run no huddle. I know we have the youth and the speed. But we don't have to prove it by playing no huddle all the time. In the fourth quarter we needed to eat the clock up. With 5:42 we coukd have taken it way down, run a measured offense and even close and a field goal was enough. oh we rookie coach will learn. Positives outweigh negatives today. I look for good rebound next week.

For me, the most disappointing thing was the very Unimaginative play calling . . . especially after all the hype

They should have huddled in the 4th, and ate some clock. The D was gassed but held on, and the play calling was unimaginative. In particular the way they used Spiller. But, it was game one and they almost pulled it off. Had they done it, it would have been huge for the team, not too mention long suffering fans.

How many times are people going to keep making the same arguments?

Until we die... Or get bored...

Oh and this would have been your opportunity to put what YOU thought was YOUR positive and negative takes from the game...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

You make the same argument multiple times even starting new threads on them. Ask yourself.

Uhhhh wat?

Until we die... Or get bored...

Oh and this would have been your opportunity to put what YOU thought was YOUR positive and negative takes from the game...

We killed ourselves with penalties.

Couldn't convert on 3rd downs.

Our best players on offense ( Stevie and CJ) couldn't get it done.

EJ was solid

Execution needs to improve

0-1 in division

Ralph is cheap.

Did I do good?

Edited by Bangarang

Unimaginative playcalling

What were you expecting from a rookie under center in his first ever NFL game?

this...or from a coaching staff trying to develop a rookie qb for the long haul. the near interception on the bomb to woods early on surely made them uneasy trying that again when the game got close. risk/reward ratio too high in his first real pro game. team gets a few wins under him and that ratio changes quickly.

I was happy with the defense, for the most part. The Pats did get a lot of yards but part of that is our hurry up offense allowed them to run a lot of plays. Brady only got something like 5.5 yards per pass attempt.

I wasn't happy with the offense. I thought EJ looked about as good as a rookie QB should. Woods was productive. But I didn't like the running attack - lots of inside handoffs from the shotgun. This didn't seem to be creating the space CJ needs to work with.

Uhhhh wat?

EJ was solid

0-1 in division

Ralph is cheap.

Did I do good?

Yeah you did good. Although I honestly don't think Ralph is cheap anymore. I think he's just old. Like really really old...

Uhhhh wat?

EJ was solid

0-1 in division

Ralph is cheap.

Did I do good?

You forgot we are Doomed......

They should have huddled in the 4th, and ate some clock. The D was gassed but held on, and the play calling was unimaginative. In particular the way they used Spiller. But, it was game one and they almost pulled it off. Had they done it, it would have been huge for the team, not too mention long suffering fans.

You guys going on about the clock realize that it doesn't matter if you still go three and out, right? The Bills got the ball with 5:51 to go and gave the ball back with around 4:30 left and everyone blames the no-huddle? Even if the Bills ran three plays and took 40 seconds off each time, NE still gets the ball with a out 3:50 to play anyway. And I'm taking 40 seconds that wouldn't have run off with the incompletion to Stevie on 2nd down. NE was on the Buff 10 with a minute and all 3 timeouts left. It wouldn't have mattered.

Some has to explain to me how going to a huddle would have made any difference. We were not getting 1st downs!! A huddle would have killed an extra 30 seconds. We were only up by one point. I could imagine you same people complaining the Bills went conservative late in game.

Comments not mentioned above.....several players looked like they had not played in a month. Chandler looked a step or two slow and not ready to play. Same for CJ....of course, neither had played on a month...so much for resting the regulars. More....Goodwin goes out, so they put TJ Graham out there to receive the kick....which he dribbles onto the field instead of doing the touchback....oh yes, he had not been on the field in a game all preseason. Finally they put Easley out there to receive...that made sense, he had been playing in the preseason and handled some kicks. Marrone did not have these guys ready to play. Others were, these were not. Now, special teams, never like the coaching hire, and lining up in illegal formation to punt is pure coaching. Skeptical that our special teams will be competent. Secondary played better than I expected. Leonard is a great QB and can tackle, just can't cover. Lucky pickup knowing Pettine's system. Offense coaching/play calling way to conservative. EJ showed flashes, but still had some bad Fitz like throws downfield. Conclusion: same old, same old...not buying the marketing argument that its a rebuilding year. Team made an effort, but was not good enough. Same old, same old.