Mike Pettine Is Brilliant, Hackett I am Concerned About

To me the Patriots gambled big and won big against CJ. They brought everyone up to shut him down (and not at all what they did when Fred was in). But if CJ was able to break through he was gone. He just never did it so you have to give them credit.

That is going to be the approach of most of our opponents until EJ can show he can win a game or consistently beat you. As a Bills fan I hate it, but it is the correct way to game plan against us. Take our best toy away from us with 8 in the box and dare you to beat us through the air...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not use the fullback? I hear you but they ran the same 1-2 plays with Spiller over and over again. Why not motion Spiller into the z spot? They only did that 1 or 2 times. Gotta mix it up a bit more.

Perhaps. It's easy to second guess. To me, if we would not have had unnecessary penalties and drops (and bad calls although most of them were right) we would have won.

This is why

Tom Brady to Danny Amendola on third down: 7 of 8 for 84 yards and seven first downs. Average distance needed: 6.4 yards.

At some point don't you make someone else beat you?

What do you want Pettine do? We had like 2 guys draped all over Amendola on almost every one of those catches. At some point, you have to tip your cap to some unreal throws/catches.

That is going to be the approach of most of our opponents until EJ can show he can win a game or consistently beat you. As a Bills fan I hate it, but it is the correct way to game plan against us. Take our best toy away from us with 8 in the box and dare you to beat us through the air...

Except I think we win the game if not for unnecessary mistakes like penalties and fumbles and drops.

What do you want Pettine do? We had like 2 guys draped all over Amendola on almost every one of those catches. At some point, you have to tip your cap to some unreal throws/catches.

This much is true.

On the plus side, I really do not think Amendola's body is going to hold up going for those kinds of plays with regularity. He plays a dangerous game. He is effective but I highly doubt he'll be able to take the shots that Welker sustained on a regular basis.

This is why

Tom Brady to Danny Amendola on third down: 7 of 8 for 84 yards and seven first downs. Average distance needed: 6.4 yards.

At some point don't you make someone else beat you?

Of course you make someone else beat you...and Brady did. How many of those plays did he put the ball in a ridiculous location where only his guy could get it? With this particular quarterback - and I'm as sick of him as everyone else - your DBs can have textbook position on the receiver but still fail to defend the pass. There was a lot of that today. I don't know what the YAC stats were for Amendola, but I bet it wasn't much. To my eyes, we had a guy in position to make the play nearly every time...but Brady beat the coverage. That's why he's got shiny rings and will be in Canton. Thankfully there aren't many QBs who will be able to do that to us if we play this well, especially once we get the other half of our starting secondary back.

This.

Agree totally. The only real problem I had with the coaching was not going for it on 4th (although I don't think it was a no brainier just that I personally would have gone for it). And on defense the last Pats TD I didn't at all like that we only seemingly rushed three guys on third down. Otherwise I thought all three coaches had a decent game overall. We lost because of turnovers, penalties, dropped passes and a few mistakes.

Where we were on 4th and it only being a yard - I think it normally would/should be a no brainier, they placed more value on punting it than turning it over and have the Pats* score as that could have deflated our morale. You could just tell the D was wearing down a little bit; they finished the game with 89 plays against us. That is just too much...

How good was Brady with those passes on the last couple series? I hate him!

It's funny as fans we point out all of the little points that grind us, but all in all it is just football with a few lucky bounces you win or lose. Trying to take my disappointment out of this; I didn't expect us to win or be as competitive as we were today, but overall I am as happy as I can be. There is hurt though, as I have felt all too frequently with this team. I hate having a game in our grasp with a lead and not being able to close....grrrr

Challenge accepted... sort of... I got bored eventually... BUT, between 2001 and 2009 the answer would be 21 times, including playoffs and Super Bowls. I know, more than what you'd think, huh? That averages out to just under 3 times per season for that stretch. Of them, only 9 were NE* losses. Go figure.

The Pats were 12-9 in games where they scored 6pts or less in the 2nd half over that time period? That is truly a crazy stat if your research is accurate...I don't know how that's even possible.

There's a lot of people minimizing Shane Vereen in this thread. He's very quick, and was expected to replace Aaron Hernandez's role this year, splitting out wide and coming out of the backfield. He's a very solid player, was pretty decent at Cal, and ate up Houston during the playoffs last year. Everyone minimizing him as a "backup RB" I think is mistaken.

I will minimize Vereen all day, because he is an average back.

But with Tom Brady back there, he turns these average scat backs into Buffalo Bills' killers-- how many times over the years did Kevin Faulk, Sammy Morris, Danny Woodhead, [fill in the blank] eat us up on screens, wheel routes, and quick handoffs?

Except I think we win the game if not for unnecessary mistakes like penalties and fumbles and drops.

You are totally correct.

Some of the penalties was just us pressing too much, too much excitement and with a more aggressive style some lack of discipline. SJs drop is one I do have an issue with, Chandler is a low tier TE that you don't expect that much from. CJs fumble was just him not picking a good time to switch hands

Indeed. Absolutely correct. The calls were fine, but you can't beat that offensive execution.

Dog, talk about mistakes - the Pats had two unforced fumbles that represented a 14 point turnaround (they would have scored on that goal line play).

Indeed. Absolutely correct. The calls were fine, but you can't beat that offensive execution.

Dog, talk about mistakes - the Pats had two unforced fumbles that represented a 14 point turnaround (they would have scored on that goal line play).

I disagree. Kiko hit hard and made something happen on that goal line play. That is a distinct difference, to me, in this defense. You could see it and hear it. In the past this team would have been scored upon at will in that situation. Call it luck if you want. I saw something different.

Good teams get scored on by the Patriots all the time. At the very least, I think they were paying the price most of the time. When they weren't, it was because they were playing the softer coverages trying to contain instead of disrupting the receivers at the LOS.

E Dog, talk about mistakes - the Pats had two unforced fumbles that represented a 14 point turnaround (they would have scored on that goal line play).

Yes. The guys I was watching the game with I said those two turnovers for each team negated each other. But the Bills made about 10 unforced errors that killed them and the Pats made about two and I think that was the difference in the game.

The only reason this game was close was because of Mike Pettine. He is a brilliant D-Coordinator. Impeccable scheme.

Hackett was awful today. Predictable, conservative, not taking advantage of matchups and adapting that Jackson should have been focused after the 1st quarter.

Questionable headcoaching. We perhaps witnessed the worse challange in recent years. Taking into account the recent inepness, of Mularkey, Juaron, Williams. Even more clueless about time managment in the 4th quarter than these guys.

Unfortunetly I think Pettine will be poached from the Bills after this year or next.

I think Hackett has to been given some leeway only because this is his first NFL game and also his young rookie QB was out for the past 3 1/2 weeks.

Yes. The guys I was watching the game with I said those two turnovers for each team negated each other. But the Bills made about 10 unforced errors that killed them and the Pats made about two and I think that was the difference in the game.

No question the Bills had some serious drive-killing penalties in this one...Gotta fix that crap quick...

Even still, if Stevie catches that ball on 3rd down I think the Bills win that game...Which in a tough way is a decent gauge on how much better this team is than in years past...Especially on Defense... B-)

The defense gave up way too many big running plays and could not stop Brady's precision passing on third down, especially third and 9 a few times.

I though the offensive play call was amateurish. Rarely if ever did I see play action fakes and then a pass. The play action fake should be used on a regular basis and it wasn't. I felt like Hackett severely handicapped Manuel.

How many times did we see Manuel simply hand the ball off out of the shutgun and watch it get stuffed for little or no gain??

Searcy played a great game. As did McKelvin. Just imagine if the D had Gilmore and Byrd at the top of their game..