Detroit, Boston mayor fight

eighteen billion dollars in debt, and that's just one city. talk about kicking the can down the road. it's enough to make you wonder if they didn't just say to themselves 'hell, we're so badly in debt that we should just run it up to the point where it's impossible to ever pay it back, and hope we can talk the feds into bailing us out.'

of course, no one would ever really do that.......

Really? What's to be taken offense with? Same w/BFLO. They both need to be blown up. Don't even start over. Some places just become irrelebvant.

And before all the BFLO lovers jump on me... I mean no harm in the place of my birth (and yes, I was born in BFLO @ Sister's Hospital). I love the city, area, etc... It breaks my heart... It is still a great niche.

It is a zero-sum/highly competitive nation and world... Some just can't compete... So fold. Or be "blown up."

He used the perfect analogy. Now blowing up the whole city is silly but there are large portions of it that need to be torn down and somehow start over.

Agree. But don't even start over.

Its not like they're spending billions to rebuild a city (near the coast) thats below sea level........................

On the outside, that is an easy joke you make... Scratch the surface and it tells another story.

I beg to differ. NOLA and South LA is the busiest port (short tons) in the country by a mile! Almost double than the second busiest port in the country! The billions they are spending will easily be recouped in what is gained through the economy. NOLA and S. Louisiana is not irrelevant like Detroit and before it, BFLO.

The growth potential for the gulf is huge. Even more so with the widening of the Panama Canal and what they can tap in w/the Pacific rim trade. Transportation wise... Water, rail, truck... NOLA will always be posied to be a big player. Again, big winners... Even bigger losers!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Why not? So you're saying there are not people (the right kind of people) that can resettle these areas? You have very little faith in the sense of community.

No. Just in this area. What does Detroit (like BFLO) bring to the table that the rest of the world needs? If there is something, then go right ahead and re-settlegrow it!

It's only acceptable to do that if that city is populated with Democrats who can't swim.

On the outside... That is pretty funny! BUT where on earth are you gonna relocate what NOLA brings to the national economic table?

I would love to see it flood too, w/all the elitist Democrats in its fish bowl! Take Harry Connick Jr. & the Manning Family too!

But, honestly... Where do you shift the economic burden if it is not rebuilt? Even 8 feet below sea level.

@ least they have a bunch of dikes protecting it while the ferries service it. :-P

On the outside... That is pretty funny! BUT where on earth are you gonna relocate what NOLA brings to the national economic table?

I would love to see it flood too, w/all the elitist Democrats in its fish bowl! Take Harry Connick Jr. & the Manning Family too!

But, honestly... Where do you shift the economic burden if it is not rebuilt? Even 8 feet below sea level.

@ least they have a bunch of dikes protecting it while the ferries service it. :-P

I cannot take credit for that joke, I was paraphrasing Larry the Cable Guy.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your premise (nor really interested enough in proposing a more suitable replacement port location near the river with higher ground), but I just couldn't resist inserting the joke.

NYC has a bunch of dykes and fairies as well. :D

That is the second or third busiest port in the country. :-)

"One it by land, two it by sea!"

I cannot take credit for that joke, I was paraphrasing Larry the Cable Guy.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your premise (nor really interested enough in proposing a more suitable replacement port location near the river with higher ground), but I just couldn't resist inserting the joke.

It was a great joke!

NOLA really is in the cat-bird seat. Where else could a shift take place? Mobile, AL? Along w/Houston, they are all up there when it comes to national economic impact.

On the outside, that is an easy joke you make... Scratch the surface and it tells another story.

I beg to differ. NOLA and South LA is the busiest port (short tons) in the country by a mile! Almost double than the second busiest port in the country! The billions they are spending will easily be recouped in what is gained through the economy. NOLA and S. Louisiana is not irrelevant like Detroit and before it, BFLO.

The growth potential for the gulf is huge. Even more so with the widening of the Panama Canal and what they can tap in w/the Pacific rim trade. Transportation wise... Water, rail, truck... NOLA will always be posied to be a big player. Again, big winners... Even bigger losers!

The growth potential for Buffalo is huge, for two words: fresh water.

Really? What's to be taken offense with? Same w/BFLO. They both need to be blown up. Don't even start over. Some places just become irrelebvant.

I agree with the "blown up" or "town down" metaphor as at some point you have to move on from the past and start over

I disagree with the "dont' even start over" bit. Like Tom said, Buffalo is blessed with fresh water. It also has access to the Great Lakes shipping lanes. There is something there to build on. It just takes someone with a vision to seize an opportunity. Granted New York State and the Feds will do everything in their power to stifle them

*Edit sorry I got sidetracked responding to EII, when I first saw this thread title I fully intended to respond:

What are 2 cities I never want to visit, Alex? (I do spend time in the Detroit airport waiting for connections, but have no intentions of ever leaving said airport)

Edited by /dev/null

The growth potential for Buffalo is huge, for two words: fresh water.

Not if they put a dam @ Detroit. :-P

I was hoping somebody would jump into this. BFLO is not exactly controller of that water. Yes it is there. Can they divert it? Or do others have to agree? Look what they do w/the ice boom and power @ Niagara... BFLO would have absolutely no say as others would pipe it and siphon it off!

What I am saying, is even with the huge supply of freshwater... BFLO is still beholden to others.

I agree with the "blown up" or "town down" metaphor as at some point you have to move on from the past and start over

I disagree with the "dont' even start over" bit. Like Tom said, Buffalo is blessed with fresh water. It also has access to the Great Lakes shipping lanes. There is something there to build on. It just takes someone with a vision to seize an opportunity. Granted New York State and the Feds will do everything in their power to stifle them

*Edit sorry I got sidetracked responding to EII, when I first saw this thread title I fully intended to respond:

What are 2 cities I never want to visit, Alex? (I do spend time in the Detroit airport waiting for connections, but have no intentions of ever leaving said airport)

BFLO is a dead end... Welland and the shipping lanes are 40 miles west. No way are shippers gonna spend more money to ship towards (or away from) a dead end. This is the actual reality the last 50 years w/the Sea Way. Also, The Falls can be easily stopped. Stopped up so as to use all for hydro. A trickle would go over.

Water can easily be taken from somewhere else... Preferably upstream.

Granted... Detroit has more vision potential than BFLO. They do control a strategic area. BFLO not in the least. Sorry to slam BFLO... It is what it is. Fresh water is major, IMO just not gonna be the game changer for BFLO.

No. Just in this area. What does Detroit (like BFLO) bring to the table that the rest of the world needs? If there is something, then go right ahead and re-settlegrow it!

Great leadership reinvents. There are plenty of industries out there that you can build a strong economy and stronger community around.

they could sure as hell make money piping some of that water down here to Texas.

Why would they pipe it from BFLO to Texas? BFLO and Lake Erie is downstream of the big lakes. Great lakes water is already being diverted through Illinois to the Mississippi. Texas could save 2/3's the distance and the infrastructure is already in place.

Why do you think states like Texas take Illinois and Indiana's side of the argument when it comes to NOT separating Lake Michigan from the Mississippi.

Of course there would be little thing like the Supreme Court and its diversion order to get around.

Great leadership reinvents. There are plenty of industries out there that you can build a strong economy and stronger community around.

To a point. To a point. Geographical (includes favorable climate) relevance is always number one. Name a town that does well, I will name you the favorable global position and/or the sweet heart deal they got going.

To a point. To a point. Geographical (includes favorable climate) relevance is always number one. Name a town that does well, I will name you the favorable global position and/or the sweet heart deal they got going.

How would you explain the success of cities stuck in the middle of a desert, like Vegas or Phoenix?