Stevie Johnson: Pats can't 'stop me'

Agreed. I would love to see our corners play a little bit more bump and run.

Ugh, not having Gilmore is SUCH a difference maker. I really think we could have defended Brady in this game with him in there. He is so good in coverage. Oh well, he played last year and they still lost. So GO McLovin!!!!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, not having Gilmore is SUCH a difference maker. I really think we could have defended Brady in this game with him in there. He is so good in coverage. Oh well, he played last year and they still lost. So GO McLovin!!!!

Man I wish I could share your enthusiasm with the whole McLovin idea, but unfortunately, when I think of him as a starting corner, all I have are visions of him having his defender covered, and never, or rarely turning his head around to even look for the ball, and then....

another 15-20-30 yard completion.

I sure hope he's learned a few things....

Emotional? I posted his stat lines from Patriots* games:

6.5 games, 29 catches 367 yds 3 TDs

Of those three touchdowns: one put us within 8 points, the other, 14. The third we had a 7-0 lead when he scored.

No emotion. Just a factual response to "Pats can't stop me."

Yea I know...it's just a carryover from your top ten reasons why SJ is a dimwit or something post.

That butt cake and uss fuhkmore sure set this team back pretty far. We might recover one day.

Luckily he has inexperienced WR's. We need to play an aggressive style all over. Blitz, keep one safety back, bump and run. As Tyson said, everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face. We need to "punch" the Pat's new WR's in the face the first series of the drive.

this does seem like the formula. if the pats are without gronk amendola is their biggest recieving threat and our safeties and nickel cb's have a good shot against him. burton is apparently good at jamming at the line of scrimmage. it actually seems as if the bills depleted outside corners actually match alright against the outside wrs of the pats. for years brady has done his best work over the middle with welker, gronk and and hernandez.

<- pats fan here

The entire concept of bulletin board material is overrated. Even more so on opening day.

Just to make a few more comments on things brought up in the thread:

1) the pats were lucky as heck to get Brady... But then again, no one else bothered to take him. Further, the Super Bowl winning years were not because Brady was aging all world, lights out, but in large part because Bill built a very stingy defense out of other people's cast offs. That being said, 16-0 and much of the pats recent success is almost entirely tied to Brady being one of the greatest QBs of all time. The rest of the afc east is basically screwed until he retires or his play slips significantly.

2) I do like much of the pats roster more than the bills, with the exception of obviously the bills rbs and probably their corners as well. (That says more about the pats secondary than the bills secondary though). I'd strongly consider taking the bills safeties too, if Byrd were healthy.

3) I think under the current regime the bills have a lot to look forward to in terms of growth and improvement. A lot of this is to be determined by how EJ turns out ob iously.

Of those three touchdowns: one put us within 8 points, the other, 14. The third we had a 7-0 lead when he scored.

To put in perspective, SJ was unstoppable in the first quarter of the December 2011 game. It wasn't a coincidence that Bills barely got a first down after he got benched.

I did not editorialize.

But, if he hadn't been a dumbass, he might have had a great game.

I contended at the time, and still do, that it was the coach who was the dumbass. Good coaches know how to handle the prima donas on their roster, and most of them do it without benching their best players for playful acts.

I don't think Gilmore hurts us quite as much against the Patriots as it will other teams with stronger #1 target receivers. We don't have 5 Gilmores and Brady will consistently find one of his five receiving options if given time, and won't force to the top receiver if covered.

While having your best corner in there clearly helps the overall defensive scheme, we will win or lose this game based on our ability to pressure Brady, and put up points to respond to his. Winning 24-21 instead of losing 34-17 is my hope. I don't think we have a huge blowout and I don't think we fail to find the end zone ourselves.

As for SJ, I think he is fun, and won't affect the preparation of the Patriots at all. And they don't have anybody who can cover him...even Revis can't. So it will be more a question of if we can get him the ball when he gets open, or get the ball to a secondary option if they give him extra attention.

Ahhh...the proverbial "statistics don't lie" argument. The truth is, sometimes statistics can be incredibly useful as the foundation of an argument for or against something - and other times they can be incredibly useless. The statistics you cite did not occur in a vacuum and, actually, tell us very little..."factually" speaking. Funny thing about football: Individual statistics are often the product of many variables with individual talent, sometimes, not even being the most important variable. In regard to whether or not Johnson can be incredibly successful against the Patriots, I would have to place these statistics in the useless category.

Ahhh...the proverbial "statistics don't lie" argument. The truth is, sometimes statistics can be incredibly useful as the foundation of an argument for or against something - and other times they can be incredibly useless. The statistics you cite did not occur in a vacuum and, actually, tell us very little..."factually" speaking. Funny thing about football: Individual statistics are often the product of many variables with individual talent, sometimes, not even being the most important variable. In regard to whether or not Johnson can be incredibly successful against the Patriots, I would have to place these statistics in the useless category.

Yet you don't say why the stats are useless.

In this case, we're looking at his history to make a determination about the very subjective assertion: Pats can't stop Stevie. What would "unstoppable" stats look like? I'd venture to say they're a whole lot better than about 4 catches for 60ish yards and less than half a touchdown per game.

And if stats don't exist in a vacuum, I welcome you to jump on into the many debates I've had defending Ryan Fitzpatrick, that Stevie wouldn't have gotten 3 x 1000 yard seasons if Fitz was as incompetent as posters here will have you believe.

Yet you don't say why the stats are useless.

In this case, we're looking at his history to make a determination about the very subjective assertion: Pats can't stop Stevie. What would "unstoppable" stats look like? I'd venture to say they're a whole lot better than about 4 catches for 60ish yards and less than half a touchdown per game.

And if stats don't exist in a vacuum, I welcome you to jump on into the many debates I've had defending Ryan Fitzpatrick, that Stevie wouldn't have gotten 3 x 1000 yard seasons if Fitz was as incompetent as posters here will have you believe.

How about this- Stevie is just talking trash, displaying that he's not scared of NE in way only Stevie can. You don't have to like his antics, I happen to. No need to over analyze anything.

How about this- Stevie is just talking trash, displaying that he's not scared of NE in way only Stevie can. You don't have to like his antics, I happen to. No need to over analyze anything.

Fair enough. But every time his antics bubble up, folks like you dismiss it by saying "Stevie's just..."

And my argument all along is that said dismissal is fine, if he did it once or twice, and not regularly enough that we have to keep hearing "Stevie's just..."

As mentioned already, his antics were enough for one coach to bench him already...

Edited by The Big Cat

The key to whether or not the Pats can stop SJ is how effective they are at stopping the Bills running game.If the Pats can contain the Bills rushing attack - without having to commit an extra defender in the box - then added attention (ie that extra defender) can be placed towards stopping SJ ..... if need be.