Conerbacks that the Bills should go after

Dray ton wasn't good for us. People were happy he got cut. Now all of a sudden he's a good player that we should bring back. Typical.

I wonder how long before the bring back Reggie Torbor threads take to show up.

Using the word "people" to generalize the opinion of entire football forum filled with a million fans and a half a million differing views of every topic...

Typical... B-)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does this particular opinion contrast with the news of the Wood extension ?

Btw if this is the former Badolbilz wow, what happened? Your posts here used to be revered.

No idea what you mean about Wood, I think you have your threads confused.

In answer to your question......nobody likes a know it all. :thumbsup:

You gotta' be in front of the curve. The game evolves and sometimes fans can't see the forest for the trees.

I'm not going to be the guy that says because it is a passing league you need to invest your high draft picks in DB's.....that is a prevailing opinion here.....and honestly if you sit in the stands long enough you come to know that aside from maybe QB, the cornerback position is the most criticized by fans and has been for as long as I have been going to games. (I can still remember going to my first Bills game as a kid and the fans were on Mario Clark all game and then he sealed the game with a pic. I couldn't understand the criticism but I do now.)

So people aren't going to like it when I say their simplistic answer of trying to assemble a secondary full of shutdowns to control Tom Brady and lead the Bills back to prominence is illogical.

The NFL is a passing league, yes. But the NFL has altered the rules to make it harder for a secondary to shut down a passing game...in effect de-emphasizing the abilities of a top cover corner...and quite a few good teams have watched lesser teams over emphasize their secondary and de-emphasize their front 7 and that gave birth to the wildcat and now the much more effective read-option as weapons in the NFL.

The best bang for the buck defensively is to have a dominant pass rush.........and it's not even a close argument..........but there are fans here that still think the Bills should have drafted Dee Milliner instead of taking a chance on a QB in the draft for once. :lol:

Bottom line: I was right again when I said the Bills should be buying secondary help on the cheap in free agency so that they could focus their more valuable resources elsewhere.......and still field the requisite amount of depth in the secondary.

They passed....... and they are sitting on over $20M in cap space and with significant depth issues in the secondary as well as at QB and OL. No reason why this method of doing business should be acceptable, but when you've bought into the kool aid big time for the past 8 months you really don't want to hear about how some critical aspects of organizational dysfunction haven't been addressed despite an opportunity for a fresh start.

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

One thing to keep in mind for a cut more than 4 year vet is their salary counts unless signed after the 1st game. I am not sure if the contract is voided then and they need a new one? I think so but I forget details. Not sure how much Winfield or Drayton cost these days though.

I would be happy with one (or hopefully a couple) of these...

Antoine Winfield - would be a great story... solid veteran leader type... hopefully still has enough left in the tank to help bridge the talent gap til Gilmore is ready to play again.

William Middleton - doesn't have ideal size (which is why he's available) but has shown that he can play and is better than Bills current in-house options.

Roc Carmichael - cut by a deep defensive team... has the potential to start and hang onto the job when Bills are healthy again.

Chase Minnifield - not a lot of actual playing experience but size is better suited to Coach Pet's defensive scheme.

Marcus Trufant - slightly older (or more experienced depending on one's point of view)... has proven that he can play in the league and not be a weak link... probably a more solid corner option than McKelvin... for this season anyway.

Edited by Jamie Mueller

Can't believe Duke Williams made the team. He was the worst DB on the field Thursday night. But, he must be cheap....all I can figure.

Well...He was a 4th Round pick four months ago...That's the main reason...No way the Bills are going to give up on a 4th round pick that quickly...Though I do agree Duke did nothing in preseason to impress... B-)

I would be happy with one (or hopefully a couple) of these...

Antoine Winfield - would be a great story... solid veteran leader type... hopefully still has enough left in the tank to help bridge the talent gap til Gilmore is ready to play again.

William Middleton - doesn't have ideal size (which is why he's available) but has shown that he can play and is better than Bills current in-house options.

Roc Carmichael - cut by a deep defensive team... has the potential to start and hang onto the job when Bills are healthy again.

Chase Minnifield - not a lot of actual playing experience but size is better suited to Coach Pet's defensive scheme.

Marcus Trufant - slightly older (or more experienced depending on one's point of view)... has proven that he can play in the league and not be a weak link... likely a better corner option then McKelvin for this season anyway.

I would bring in BOTH Winfield AND Trufant. U can never have enough corners and even when Gilmore is back. Both these guys will still be in rotation as 3rd and 4th CB unless Brooks does well in slot. He got beat a bit in pre-season, but he was always around the ball. Guy goes at 110%, solid tackler and learning on the job. Also, came from CB U in LSU. I see more pure ability than any of our CB's outside of Gilmore (pretty obviously). That slot CB which is loosely called #3 on depth chart is sooooo important. Gets used on blitz and in pre-season we saw alot of this with Kip Edwards blitzing from slot and doing great. I thought he was a surprise cut considering how bad rest were. Hopefully we keep that blitz package in, was nice seeing CB for 1st time in years!!

I would bring in BOTH Winfield AND Trufant. U can never have enough corners and even when Gilmore is back. Both these guys will still be in rotation as 3rd and 4th CB unless Brooks does well in slot. He got beat a bit in pre-season, but he was always around the ball. Guy goes at 110%, solid tackler and learning on the job. Also, came from CB U in LSU. I see more pure ability than any of our CB's outside of Gilmore (pretty obviously). That slot CB which is loosely called #3 on depth chart is sooooo important. Gets used on blitz and in pre-season we saw alot of this with Kip Edwards blitzing from slot and doing great. I thought he was a surprise cut considering how bad rest were. Hopefully we keep that blitz package in, was nice seeing CB for 1st time in years!!

Those guys are certainly the best veteran options out there so far... trouble might be that older guys who are nearing the end like to be able to win. Bills can offer a starting opportunity, but they aren't even a sure fire playoff team this year.

Winfield at this point in his career is going try and latch onto a playoff team. Reason why he went to Seattle in hopes of chasing a super bowl ring. Unless there is absolutely no interest I have hard time believing he would sign with Buffalo.

Play-off teams usually have good corners. If he wants to play ,he will have to swallow his pride.

Play-off teams usually have good corners.

Evidence suggests that is not the case. I think Winfield picked Seattle because they seemed like they might be the best overall team coming into this season and unfortunately for him, they happen to have good cornerbacks. The final 4 teams of last year were probably weaker at the corner position than any other position on their team. Past 5-6 years of SB matchups.....not real good CB play from those teams. I mean, even just statistically, the Steelers were the top defense in the NFL last year......who was their top CB? Ike Taylor? :lol: But the myth of the need for shutdown CB's still persists.

It would seem to me that Winfield shouldn't have a hard time catching on with a contender if he will play for cheap because the best teams just aren't that good at CB.