Bills, Wood reach extension

eball

Somewhere in this post is a veiled attempt at potty humor. Onslaught... tedious... puns... fixated... "Wood"... I can't quite put my... let's go with finger... on it, but I can sense it. What're you hiding, alias. Go ahead and let out with a good poop joke... you know you want to.

That's what Sigmund said.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im prtty sure Byrd has missed some games as well....sports hyrnia wsnt it?

Byrd has injury concerns as well. The Bills drafted him knowing that he has a chronic hip condition like Percy Harvin. I am not against the Bills making Byrd play out the next two years for $15M+ guaranteed but the problem is enforcing it when you have a reputation for granting players their wish to be traded when they see greener grass on the other side of the fence.

At some point you'll need to explain exactly why you spend any time in this forum. 'Cause I don't get it. Unless you're a troll of course; then I understand completely.

You exist on this forum to be critical of fans. I am here to discuss the team. Which of us has an issue? Honestly, you bring nothing to the table here but a lot of displaced anger. How about a football post for a change instead of a personal attack in response to a football discussion.

So can you answer my questions to you?

Byrd and a third to some team for a quality cb under contract for at least two years or more?

More importantly to me on Byrd as I am not a stat guy, did he make more money under his entry level contract than a rookie entering the league under the terms in the newest CBA? If so, even more reason to me to shut you pie hole while we work on getting you outta here! I want to pay players that are good and want to be here. If a player is GREAT than we have a different standard union be damned! (some union huh) End of the day here though I strongly agree with agree with you that Byrd has out played his contract. No Question. But really he's insulted making what he will be paid this year? It will be interesting for sure.

And to save the next argument, what if he has a catastrophic injury this year that would prevent him from cashing in next year? Shut up. He's getting paid this year GUARANTEED! Later man.

Forgot this edit. I LOVE ERIC WOOD! Thank you Eric

I can't really answer the first question. If it were me, I would pay Byrd and keep him, so no I wouldnt make the trade. If the Bills don't want to pay him and don't think they are going to sign him long term, then I may trade him like that but only if the CB was considered by Whaley and his crew to be very good, not just kinda good.

Players are insulted, yes, when they are offered two million less than other players they are better than. If you sign that contract, you are admitting to your peers that the other play is WAY better than you. That is how the league determines your worth, by how much they offer to pay you.

The second question I am not sure about although I could probably look it up. I don't, however, believe second round picks in the latest rookie wage scale make any less than second rounders before they introduced it. It was really the first half of the first round where all the difference was.

You know I think you're one of the most reasonable and knowledgeable posters on this board, so accept this with all due respect, but I don't think it makes any sense whatsoever that the Bills would decide to tag Byrd -- acknowledging they want to keep him and that they're willing to pay top 5 money -- and then be negotiating at a per-year level that is below the tag. That just sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. Based upon all of the information around, and taking into account the source of that information, my best guess is that the Bills' best offer was slightly over 7M per, and Byrd's demand is slightly over 8M per. Still a significant gap, but not at any level that would be considered "insulting."

I think it's self-evident. By paying the tag the team is only risking 6m. If they do it next year it is 14m over two years. That's a good indication of how he will perform in this new defense. If they sign him they are guaranteeing him 20m or so, and paying him above that. It's a big difference. I think it's worth it because I think he is good and they have the money and we need to keep our top talent at almost any position. The Bills and some fans may not feel that way.

I think it's self-evident. By paying the tag the team is only risking 6m. If they do it next year it is 14m over two years. That's a good indication of how he will perform in this new defense. If they sign him they are guaranteeing him 20m or so, and paying him above that. It's a big difference. I think it's worth it because I think he is good and they have the money and we need to keep our top talent at almost any position. The Bills and some fans may not feel that way.

Point of clarity: tag is 6.9 this year and 8.28 next year which is just shy of 15.2 guaranteed for the two years. That is not an insignificant difference between the 6 and 14, respectively, you indicated. Which is why I think your assumption that the Bills would offer nearly 1m per year LESS than the franchise tender amount they are willing to pay and have committed to, doesn't make sense to me. If the Bills' starting offer is at 7 per and Byrd's desire is the previously reported highest paid (9 plus), there's your reported two million dollar distance between them. I honestly feel it was highest paid or bust for Byrd to stay in Buffalo when I consider those numbers against the backdrop of the reports, one of which was by Adam Benigni of WGRZ, that Byrd indeed wanted to be the highest paid safety in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

Point of clarity: tag is 6.9 this year and 8.28 next year which is just shy of 15.2 guaranteed for the two years. That is not an insignificant difference between the 6 and 14, respectively, you indicated. Which is why I think your assumption that the Bills would offer nearly 1m per year LESS than the franchise tender amount they are willing to pay and have committed to, doesn't make sense to me. If the Bills' starting offer is at 7 per and Byrd's desire is the previously reported highest paid (9 plus), there's your reported two million dollar distance between them. I honestly feel it was highest paid or bust for Byrd to stay in Buffalo when I consider those numbers against the backdrop of the reports, one of which was by Adam Benigni of WGRZ, that Byrd indeed wanted to be the highest paid safety in the game.

GO BILLS!!!

I understand but I think my point remains the same. If they sign him to the long term deal they spend perhaps 25 mil in the first two years. If they franchise him twice they spend 15m.

Just because they are willing to pay 7 mil on a franchise one year, and 8.4 the next year, doesn't at all mean their offer was 7+m long term because of the huge guarantee they would have to pay. I wouldn't doubt that he is asking to be the highest paid. I do doubt that he would turn down the Goldson or Weddle contracts

I understand but I think my point remains the same. If they sign him to the long term deal they spend perhaps 25 mil in the first two years. If they franchise him twice they spend 15m.

Just because they are willing to pay 7 mil on a franchise one year, and 8.4 the next year, doesn't at all mean their offer was 7+m long term because of the huge guarantee they would have to pay. I wouldn't doubt that he is asking to be the highest paid. I do doubt that he would turn down the Goldson or Weddle contracts

This flies in the face of everything we've heard about Parker's negotiating style; that he has a set price in mind for his players and doesn't back off of it. So if he is asking to be highest paid that would preclude him from accepting the Goldson/Weddle numbers.

If one accepts Brandon's and Whaley's stated desire to sign him long term, then I think 7m is the starting point for them and while it would be better from a cash flow standpoint to pay the guarantees over 3 years vs. 2, I doubt that would be a sticking point moving forward.

GO BILLS!!!

This flies in the face of everything we've heard about Parker's negotiating style; that he has a set price in mind for his players and doesn't back off of it. So if he is asking to be highest paid that would preclude him from accepting the Goldson/Weddle numbers.

If one accepts Brandon's and Whaley's stated desire to sign him long term, then I think 7m is the starting point for them and while it would be better from a cash flow standpoint to pay the guarantees over 3 years vs. 2, I doubt that would be a sticking point moving forward.

GO BILLS!!!

"Highest paid safety" can be somewhat of a semantic argument. Polamalu signed a 4 year 36 mil contract, which is 9m per year but he is only making about 8 this year and next. Both Weddle and Goldson signed for more money, and more guaranteed, just 1 mil less per season (9 vs 8). A Goldson contract plus a higher guarantee would make Byrd the highest paid safety.

"Highest paid safety" can be somewhat of a semantic argument. Polamalu signed a 4 year 36 mil contract, which is 9m per year but he is only making about 8 this year and next. Both Weddle and Goldson signed for more money, and more guaranteed, just 1 mil less per season (9 vs 8). A Goldson contract plus a higher guarantee would make Byrd the highest paid safety.

While it's all about the guaranteed dollars, I don't think Parker deals in semantics.

Eric Berry's guaranteed amount dwarf's Goldson's and Weddle's (25.6m compared to 18m and 19m, respectively) according to Sportrac. Again, my assumption is Parker views Byrd as the best safety and wants the highest paid designation that goes with it. I don't think he'd settle for Goldson/Weddle numbers given his methodology.

GO BILLS!!!

While it's all about the guaranteed dollars, I don't think Parker deals in semantics.

Eric Berry's guaranteed amount dwarf's Goldson's and Weddle's (25.6m compared to 18m and 19m, respectively) according to Sportrac. Again, my assumption is Parker views Byrd as the best safety and wants the highest paid designation that goes with it. I don't think he'd settle for Goldson/Weddle numbers given his methodology.

GO BILLS!!!

I forgot about Berry, so yes, his bonus would have to be the bar. 6 years $50m, knowing full well it is a 4-5 year deal would do the trick though.

I forgot about Berry, so yes, his bonus would have to be the bar. 6 years $50m, knowing full well it is a 4-5 year deal would do the trick though.

Ya think?! From Parker/Byrd's perspective that would do just fine, I'm sure. But I think that's unreasonable and not because the Bills "under value" the safety position. I think they've made an honest assessment of his ability as a player. And while many of us are reluctant to consider that given our affection for him, I agree with that assessment. The standout plays he makes stand out indeed and sometimes that makes it difficult to see the plays he doesn't make out there. That's really all I can say on it as it's all been said already. But I'll gladly give you the last word here.

GO BILLS!!!

If you don't know that Stevie is far enough down the list to not have a legit argument for an elite contract.... Well...

Elite? no. But he could have tested the waters and seen what he would have been paid. I remember thinking his contract was more then reasonable. The point is he did not even let it get there. Nor did Wood. That is a sign of guys wanting to be Bills.

Me, i would always enter FA once the final season was over on my contract like the case for Stevie. Once there is no 'security' reason ie injury in final year of contract. Why would you not see how much someone would pay for your services?

Ya think?! From Parker/Byrd's perspective that would do just fine, I'm sure. But I think that's unreasonable and not because the Bills "under value" the safety position. I think they've made an honest assessment of his ability as a player. And while many of us are reluctant to consider that given our affection for him, I agree with that assessment. The standout plays he makes stand out indeed and sometimes that makes it difficult to see the plays he doesn't make out there. That's really all I can say on it as it's all been said already. But I'll gladly give you the last word here.

GO BILLS!!!

What I meant was it would be like Weddle and Goldson, at 5 yr 8 per but would look like the highest. I happen to think he is better than how he has looked, and would be an absolute stud with a good pass rush. I love the way he comes up and hits. He causes turnovers. He's instinctive. I actually think he's underrated not overrated, so that is why I think we should pay him. But it's just my opinion, not a fact.

under rated by the Bills it seems?

I was one who wished that Byrd would be hereabouts long term and think he is not only damned fine safety but he was a damned fine team mate and excellent team leader back there. But he does have weaknesses.

by now i worry the water is muddied.

and Mario's treatment from the Bills FO has been a bad influence .

Just offer Jairus the goldarned locker room fridge and be done with this