Settlement reached in NFL concussion case

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This deal does seem to favor the league but I wouldn't expect them to just soak up 1billion on their books. Revenues will increase naturally over the next 17 years but prices will go up somewhere.

its about 10% of a single years revenue in todays dollars and revenue stream. as a 20 year payment thats hardly significant - even if the cost is passed on.

Funny..... The awful concussion symptoms that were just too much to bear are suddenly bearable for 170k each. (Before Lawyer Fees)

i wasnt aware that settling a lawsuit meant that everything was considered all better now.

@ProFootballTalk

Judge who brokered settlement casts doubt on viability of future concussion lawsuits http://wp.me/p14QSB-9fUL

Some of the quotes from the link have me concerned.

Judge Phillips said in a Q&A document released in connection with the settlement. ”. . . The combination of advances in medical research, improved equipment, rules changes, greater understanding of concussion management, and enhanced benefits should, and hopefully will, prevent similar lawsuits in the future.”

The problem with the above quote is that the NFL is not, in fact, using the best possible helmets to prevent concussions. A Swedish research group has created helmets specifically designed to reduce rotational force to the brain. The helmet consists of an inner layer, which hugs your head. There's also an outer hard shell. If you receive a glancing blow to the head, the hard outer layer will move relative to the inner layer. This helmet provides much better protection against concussions than do traditional helmets. Thus far, major helmet manufacturers like Riddell have not shown interest in licensing this technology. Nor has the NFL given this any kind of forward push.

Simplistic certification standards provide convenient legal cover for the manufacturers. If NOCSAE certifies a company’s helmets as safe, then the company has less risk of being held responsible for injuries. On the other hand, if that same company goes above and beyond the standards, it could put itself at risk of getting sued: Suddenly all of its existing helmets would appear to be inadequate, and worse, the company might have to admit knowing that they fell short.

If, five or ten years from now, this helmet technology still isn't in widespread use around the NFL, I think another lawsuit would be fully justified.

I'm sure the league has liability insurance so this isn't coming out of their wallets. So it pry cost them their deductible and a big increase in insurance premiums and guess what? That will most likely be a cost of doing business so it will count against the cap and lower that. Voila! They lose little.

Former Bill undergoes battery of tests.

Also if anyone's interested...Joe D to appear on M&M this morning (if he hasn't already).

The quote I just heard - though obviously well intentioned - didnt come across great. Upset money is going to research instead of his pocket is how it initially sounded. Robert smith ripping him right now.... Some rough sentiments shared:

- should've asked for it when he was playing, and sometimes actively asked for cash turning down benefits sought now, can't have it both ways

- players in joe ds era excluded those before them from new pension plans that came out

- shouldn't have taken his pension early

- injuries are workers comp, general healthcare shouldn't be nfl responsibility

- did joe d really build the game as late as he came and even if he did when did that come with extra money later

Lots of barbs tossed at him

Edited by NoSaint

its about 10% of a single years revenue in todays dollars and revenue stream. as a 20 year payment thats hardly significant - even if the cost is passed on.

A billion dollars will be passed on for sure.

i wasnt aware that settling a lawsuit meant that everything was considered all better now.

Then whats the point of a lawsuit? 170k eased their "pain and suffering".

Edited by eme123

Then whats the point of a lawsuit? 170k eased their "pain and suffering".

Who said anything about pain and suffering? The money is going to fund a health plan that takes care of players suffering from brain injuries that are believed to be the result of head trauma.

Long term care costs can easily run over $100k a year and are generally not covered by health insurance.

Who said anything about pain and suffering? The money is going to fund a health plan that takes care of players suffering from brain injuries that are believed to be the result of head trauma.

Long term care costs can easily run over $100k a year and are generally not covered by health insurance.

as well as research into better treatment, and of course albeit a small one, but a penalty to the nfl for their possible misconducts

Oh ok so there is no pain now? Its just suffering then? Call it what you want but these players will get less than 170k in $$/benefits for another litigious lawsuit. Congrats to them.

as well as research into better treatment, and of course albeit a small one, but a penalty to the nfl for their possible misconducts

The NFL's only misconduct is a failure to make their league flag instead of tackle.

These players chose to play tackle football.

The NFL's only misconduct is a failure to make their league flag instead of tackle.

and its rumored strongly that the nfl has lied to their faces about the risks involved. thats not legal as an employer. but its coming across as your argument is "i dont like courts and i do like football!" so i may leave it at agree to disagree on the nature of the situation. i think its a lot more nuanced than your posts throughout the thread are giving credit for.

Oh ok so there is no pain now? Its just suffering then? Call it what you want but these players will get less than 170k in $$/benefits for another litigious lawsuit. Congrats to them.

The argument is that the NFL lied about the risk of head trauma to their players, cherry picking the medical evidence in the process. If that's true, then the NFL is certainly has culpability.

From The Atlantic, here's a fairly incriminating timeline detailing the NFL's response to head trauma injuries

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2013/01/the-nfls-response-to-brain-trauma-a-brief-history/272520/