Something I was pondering last night...and want to

Of course you cannot go back in time and undue something you have done....

But....WHAT IF

- The bills DIDN"T draft JP Losman last year....signed Bledsoe to the exention he got.....

- And say...used that 2nd round pick on a TE...or a Center...or something like that

- And we still had our 1st round pick for this year...picking where we are right now in the draft

Do you think you would be more optomistic or less optomistic?

tough call, id say less, JP gives us hope when Bledsoe screws up, without him we wouldn't have as much hope.

People would still call for DB's head regardless of whether or not we had a viable replacement already in the wings.

I remember watching JPL take on TCU early in the '03 college season when he was the #1 ranked QB prospect (even above manning!) . He tore it up that night, he just kept getting clobberred by TCUs D because he had no supporting cast but he was hangin in there and amking tough throws when he needed to, moving outside the pocket to make plays. JP was getting it done!!! All i could think was "oh man, it's too bad the bills aren't ever going to have a shot at drafting this guy". If JP had played for Miami, USC, Michigan, Notre Dame, FSU etc. I definately think he would've gone higher in the draft(especially if it was any draft but last years, man there was a lot of talent in that draft).

But....WHAT IF

- The bills DIDN"T draft JP Losman last year....signed Bledsoe to the exention he got.....

- And say...used that 2nd round pick on a TE...or a Center...or something like that

- And we still had our 1st round pick for this year...picking where we are right now in the draft

205817[/snapback]

Since it is doubtful that we would get much a difference maker with a draft pick in the 20s for this year I doubt I would be more optimistic. In fact, knowing that we would still be looking for a QB of the future and outside of the 1st few picks this draft does not provide one i would be less optimistic

Any heightened optimism I would have would come from our 2nd round pick having been a diffenrece maker for the team in 2004 so that they made the playoffs this year and I'm not sure any one player drafted in the 2nd last year would have overcome the power outage of the ST, the D against long runs by 4th stringers or all allowed the O to carry the team into the playoffs by helping us beat Pittsburgh.

I also do not see any draftee having defended the pass during Jac unlikely run to victory in the first game. have made real calls as the refs did not do against Oakland or held onto a lead against the Jets among our early season disasters which cost us a game.

I'd probably be less optomistic without JP.

I'd say much less.

In the game of football, I don't think there is much more cause for optimism than having a stud Rookie waiting in the wings when the QB, and supposed heart of your team, is dragging the team into the ground.

Even if it doesn't pan out...the potential doesn't get much greater.

I'd say much less.

In the game of football, I don't think there is much more cause for optimism than having a stud Rookie waiting in the wings when the QB, and supposed heart of your team, is dragging the team into the ground.

Even if it doesn't pan out...the potential doesn't get much greater.

205847[/snapback]

Yes, I know just what you mean - sorta like the Kemp - Lamonica days.

definitely less optimistic, without any hope for the future...or maybe not...if we hadnt drafted JP, i'd prolly be doing something liek calling for us to trade for Drew Brees...

205872[/snapback]

Good point. At this point, without JP, the outcry for the Bills to sign Brees would be deafening. Now its just a low roar.

But....WHAT IF

205817[/snapback]

More...just because I have this sinking feeling Losman's going to end up a first-round bust. But the thing of it is...it's not like this draft is all that deep in first-round talent anyway.

Tough choice & good question.

I think the thing is that it being the off-season, I'm more optimistic w/ JPL on the roster (hoping he'll unseat DB).

One assumes that the C or TE or whatever we would have had would have contributed more to this past years performance than JPL. (Certainly in games, he contrubted nothing & it's doubtful he was that much of a benefit in meetings or practice.) But come next year, I can't think of any other position where a combination of importance & level of possible/likely improvement can improve our overall team than QB.

However, I'm hopeful that JPL's contribution this coming year will be more or at least as much as any other 2nd year player (even Evans) relative to the person he's displacing.

As for the contribution of our lost draft choice, again how much can you expect a rookie to elevate your overall play relative to an improvement in the QB position.

Now if JPL doesn't displace Bledsoe, which we should get an idea of by the start of preseason, then my optimism relative to having that rookie stud that we just picked (along w/ that now 2nd year player) is much lower.

Often looking back makes you just cringe at the things that could've been and the things that shoulda been. But in this case, I think it was a brilliant move. This years draft is supposedly a thin bunch. What QB would be taking this year? Especially now that Leinart is staying at USC. The offseason would be looking for some FA QB, and we'd be stuck with a late round Pick.

Now we have JPL who is a "gunslinger", who is a tough SOB, and one that has a year under Clements and Wyche. Not to mention that this offseason, he gets MORE time with these guys. I'm worried that we won't have Tom Clements for next year, as he is a great coaching prospect.

He also has the backing of his teamates, which is a great asset for this year.

My hunch, DB gets hurt early, and JPL comes in, never to give his spot up again. Kind of like what happened in NE. Now, if we could just follow that script and put a couple of SB in our pockets......... :huh:

I never liked the trade and still do not.

Imo, if they thought JP was SO good, they should have taken him at 13, but I am glad that they did not. Evans is something special.

As for JP, we gave up 7 spots in the first, and a 2nd and 5th. Someone brushed against him and he was incapacitated for months.

He may have had a good injury record in college, but this is the NFL. I would much rather have the 05 first round pick, and the two we gave away last year than a huge question mark who was the 4th qb drafted.

Of course, many liken him to Favre, so I guess I am out of line here. :huh:

Often looking back makes you just cringe at the things that could've been and the things that shoulda been.  But in this case, I think it was a brilliant move.  This years draft is supposedly a thin bunch.  What QB would be taking this year?  Especially now that Leinart is staying at USC.  The offseason would be looking for some FA QB, and we'd be stuck with a late round Pick.

Now we have JPL who is a "gunslinger", who is a tough SOB, and one that has a year under Clements and Wyche.  Not to mention that this offseason, he gets MORE time with these guys.  I'm worried that we won't have Tom Clements for next year, as he is a great coaching prospect.

He also has the backing of his teamates, which is a great asset for this year.

My hunch, DB gets hurt early, and JPL comes in, never to give his spot up again.  Kind of like what happened in NE.  Now, if we could just follow that script and put a couple of SB in our pockets......... :D

206287[/snapback]

>>>Now we have JPL who is a "gunslinger", who is a tough SOB,<<<

Tough SOB? Tough SOB?????????????????????????????????

Hello!!! He ran into a db and was laid up for months.

It is hard to imagine how "tough" you would say he was if he didn't go down like the Titanic after brushing up against a comparitively small defender. :(:huh::(

Sorry, dont let me stop you. Continue on and tell us what a badass JP is.

>>>Now we have JPL who is a "gunslinger", who is a tough SOB,<<<

Tough SOB? Tough SOB?????????????????????????????????

Hello!!! He ran into a db and was laid up for months.

It is hard to imagine how "tough" you would say he was if he didn't go down like the Titanic after brushing up against a comparitively small defender.  :(  :huh:  :(

Sorry, dont let me stop you. Continue on and tell us what a badass JP is.

206294[/snapback]

It was a freak occurance.

Vincent didn't like lay him out, he probobly just got his foot stuck in teh turf a little bit or landed on it the wrong way a little similar to the TO injury I'd assume. It wasn't a compound fracture or anything he was only out for 8 weeks.

Having lived through the RJ era, Im not very worried.