SU Hoops 2013-2014 edition...

bills44

• Replies 903
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well making a comment with 7 minutes to go is much different than with 10 seconds... That said I will definitely make a wager with you that cuse doesn't drop 8 or 9 spots... What would you like to bet?

I don't think I was crazy to say it with 7 minutes to go. I'm an idiot savant with stuff like that. If I am watching a basketball game just right - meaning not 100% and know a little about the team then I can usually get a good feel for it. I have never played basketball competitively but I think it is something to do with recognizing the characteristics and body language and other stuff.

Boeheim wasn't aware of the duke gets all the calls rules that the ACC refs love so much.

Great game from Grant, tough break on the duke flop/ref combo.

Yep, coming from a Carolina fan that's about classic.

Haters gun hate.

I don't think I was crazy to say it with 7 minutes to go. I'm an idiot savant with stuff like that. If I am watching a basketball game just right - meaning not 100% and know a little about the team then I can usually get a good feel for it. I have never played basketball competitively but I think it is something to do with recognizing the characteristics and body language and other stuff.

Yep, coming from a Carolina fan that's about classic.

Haters gun hate.

So no wager?

Good game, not too upset.

Classic duke charge......and grant does not get it earlier in the game.....

I think you mean Gbinijie who took what looked like a clearer charge on Parker than Hood did on Fair (and I'm pretty sure that's why JB exploded). But also Grant got mugged a lot & doesn't get any calls on the road.

College basketball ladies & gentlemen! Where 40-65yr old refs are intimidated by 18yr old dorks. It's why Buffalo & MSG is so important but we have some work to do now to get there (MSG anyway).

Edited by BuffOrange

What kills me is that refs decided the game. How about a no call there? Or when boeheim went nuts, a lot of seasoned refs would have avoided him and not be forced into calling a T.

Refs struggled all game; inconsistent calls; screwed up every block charge call. Just poor.

Right. Your typical play in that situation is frequently an offensive player looking for contact & hoping to go to the line vs a defender who intends to flop for a call rather than make a play - it seems both sides are usually wrong and a debate about semantics ensues about slow-motion guarding position.

But here CJ is legit trying to score rather than get a call and did make a tremendous shot in spite of the contact. That's what makes it so bad, imo.

I don't think they really had much of a choice but to T him up to be honest & I think JB had every intention of getting tossed. I would've done the same thing during the Michigan screwjob last year but then I'm a hothead.

Great game, really. Unfortunate ending, but I really don't blame JB for losing his cool there. I'm not one to complain about officiating, so we'll just leave it at that.

Killing this team right now is the lack of an outside shooting threat. I know Cooney is getting shut off, but really, he can't shake free for a couple decent attempts? Opposing teams clogging the lanes making it very difficult for Ennis, Fair and Grant to create off the dribble.

I think they need to start forcing more of a perimeter game to create more opportunities inside. Kudos to Duke on the win. Syracuse will not drop out of the top 5.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

I'm the same way about the officiating...the first thing i did was go on facebook to a duke fan friend of mine and congratulated his team on a huge win(i talk trash, but i make sure I am the first one to congratulate the opposing fans), he of course immediately went to the 'it was the right call, and after all hood got mugged in the first game'.

that reaction by boehiem was perfect, 38 years in the same job, 52 years with the same 'company' and he still has that kind of passion???? that's insane cool. and 38 years in and that's his first ever ejection. i've always been a boehiem fan, now i am even moreso

Great game, really. Unfortunate ending, but I really don't blame JB for losing his cool there. I'm not one to complain about officiating, so we'll just leave it at that.

Killing this team right now is the lack of an outside shooting threat. I know Cooney is getting shut off, but really, he can't shake free for a couple decent attempts? Opposing teams clogging the lanes making it very difficult for Ennis, Fair and Grant to create off the dribble.

I think they need to start forcing more of a perimeter game to create more opportunities inside. Kudos to Duke on the win. Syracuse will not drop out of the top 5.

that reaction by boehiem was perfect, 38 years in the same job, 52 years with the same 'company' and he still has that kind of passion???? that's insane cool. and 38 years in and that's his first ever ejection. i've always been a boehiem fan, now i am even moreso

Oh, I agree completely. There has been tons of talk today about how the players rallied around JB and had "fire in their eyes" after he was ejected (one Cuse fan sitting near the SU bench described it like that). I love the energy, and I hope the team projects that intensity moving forward.

I haven't seen it yet, but read that there is a photo which shows that Fair was clearly standing out of bounds before that lame charge call. Either way...great game and I thought the team handled their first game in Cameron beautifully.

just look at the picture...cj never really even made contact with hood...., only way there would have been contact is if hood leaned to his right

The ball is still in his hand, and one picture cannot do a call like that justice. The call, good or bad, did not end the game. Boheim did.

i wouldn't have wanted boehiem to act any differently...i kept hitting stop and go on this vine and cj went around the defender, great job of selling it by hood....but charge? i don't think so...hell, i'm not sure it was even a block, or if there was ANY contact

https://vine.co/v/MmeedrIpMQ9

Edited by The Poojer

i wouldn't have wanted boehiem to act any differently...i kept hitting stop and go on this vine and cj went around the defender, great job of selling it by hood....but charge? i don't think so...hell, i'm not sure it was even a block, or if there was ANY contact

https://vine.co/v/MmeedrIpMQ9

It is just the way the game goes. It's crap. But, it's one game and good teams don't keep it that close.

In this specific set of teams we have two very good teams that have no reason or excuse to not be playing late in the tournament. Duke can shoot the three and survive many games but Cuse is a better overall team.