Penalties

The penalties were bad.

That definitely needs to be cleaned up.

Hopefully a product of 30 guys that have no chance of making the roster, and another 15 that likely won't get more than 10 snaps in the season being mixed into the group still. Normally getting your starting 11 (plus a couple rotational guys) set and playing full time helps to clean up a lot.

That's two taunting penalties in two games which to me are ridiculous unacceptable penalties

Ridiculous and unacceptable in that they were called at all. Did you see the "taunting" call last night? It was completely incidental, Easley was basically reaching over to hand the ball to a ref and accidentally dropped it in a way that made it bounce lightly off a Viking defender's helmet. Anybody with half a brain could tell it was totally innocuous and accidental. The announcers agreed.

And the PI call on Robey was just dumb. He was making a clean play for the ball.

I loved the penalties, seriously.

A lot of encroachment calls because players were being aggressive, and then with a short field, they still held them...on NUMEROUS occasions.

So, in essence there was no "penalty" for aggression. Good. ALWAYS BE BRINGING IT.

I definitely wouldn't be surprised to see a higher level of penalties continuing into the season, particularly on the defensive side of the ball. I think it's the tradeoff for a more aggressive defense - particularly offsides and maybe illegal contact. Hopefully not too many pass interference calls. Obviously you don't want the team to be dumb about them, but I think they are unavoidable to an extent.

Now, personal fouls, taunting, things like that, they really need to get under control.

Nfl.com provides the complete play by play and you can research this yourself -- but I have no idea what a "fake" penalty is.

By fake penalty I mean, penaltys that shouldn't have been called.

I said fake penalty because I couldn't put my tongue on what to classify it as.

Hopefully a product of 30 guys that have no chance of making the roster, and another 15 that likely won't get more than 10 snaps in the season being mixed into the group still. Normally getting your starting 11 (plus a couple rotational guys) set and playing full time helps to clean up a lot.

Not really, they had 9 in the first half when the starters were mostly in...

By fake penalty I mean, penaltys that shouldn't have been called.

I said fake penalty because I couldn't put my tongue on what to classify it as.

You mean "phantom" penalties I think, lol

Not really, they had 9 in the first half when the starters were mostly in...

Even so, your rotating a bit more normally, your holding out healthy starters, practice has had odd configurations to try guys out. Typically when you get down to business, things tighten up a little.