Why EJ isnt the starter just yet

djp14150

I'm really getting tired of the media once again trying to stir something up when there is nothing there to stir. Marrone has not only exhibited integrity since he's been here, he's also been very transparent in terms of his plans. This was meant to be a competition, and with that comes a prescribed period of time during which the competition will take place and allow the staff to make the best decision moving forward. I love that EJ is playing well, but as Marrone said recently, "just because the plan is working doesn't mean I'm going to abandon it". There was clearly never any intention to take away Kolb's opportunity to start a preseason game just because EJ lit it up, or vice versa, and I'm glad we have a coach who follows through on his word. By the time he makes his decision, there will be enough evidence where he'll have a clear idea as to what is best for the team moving forward. But I think I heard like three media people today saying that people were dumbfounded as to why Marrone didn't give EJ the start against the Vikes tonight...are these morons even paying attention?

Agreed.

This should be pinned, locked and referred to when other similar threads are created.

At this rate, Marrone could have "The Decision" on PPV and charge $50.

If nothing else, nonsensical threads would go away. Ha. Right.

Go Bills!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to remember EJ is still young and he didnt light up the colts starters. I would be more comfortable if Buffalo wasnt playing New England to open the season.

You dont want to sacrifice such an important game to a season because you have a rookie starting.

Kolb started last year at NE and won which should not be ignored.

Need to compare apples to apples----both teams were WC teams last year so their defense are close comparisons

EJs first 5 possessions against IND:

1-2 -6

0-0 fumble on the handoff charged to EJ

2-5 25 ran 24 produced a FG

1-2 7

2-3 13 produced a FG (off a turnover in IND territory)

total: 6-12 39 ran for 24 caused a turnover

Kolb first 5 possessions against MIN:

0-1

0-1 threw an INT

1-2 10 ran for 7

0-2

7-8 49 FG

total: 8-14 59 ran for 7 caused a turnover

EJs total numbers are better because he played against the 2nd and 3rd stringers from mid 2nd-3rd quarter in both games.

What I could see them doing instead next week is give both QBs a chance to play with the first unit. This is the fairest way I think you could evaluate their performance. What matters most isn't practice,... but how a game is handled.

The way to do that is alternate the QB over the first 8-10 possessions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the team doesnt announce who the starting QB is thus forcing New England to plan for both.

I wouldn't be surprised they name Kolb the starting QB just for that game, but still plan on putting EJ in there either on a new series of downs or on new possessions. Sort of like a Woodley/Strock situation in Miami.

I knew that someone was going to start this thread today. Watching the game last night, my wife, who is a very casual fan, made the observation that Manuel looked in command as opposed to Kolb. She is absolutely correct. She asked me why people would prefer Kolb? I told her I have know idea. So I'll ask why would you go to the trouble of compiling those stats? Why make a case for Kolb?

Edited by chris heff

Watching the game last night, my wife, who is a very casual fan, made the observation that Manuel looked in command as opposed to Kolb. She is absolutely correct.

In only his second NFL game ever too.

High ceiling.

Kolb has slim to nil chance of starting at this point.

I think Marrone will name Manuel as the starter going into the Redskin game and play him the entire half. I think that the real battle is between Kolb and Tuel for the backup spot. Kolb still has the edge IMO, but I think that this may tighten up as we roll on.

Edited by vincec

No way Kolb starts game 1. No way. The key to sustained success in the NFL is finding a franchise QB. We've been down the road (the Fitz road) at trying to rehabilitate an average QB into something he is NOT. Kolb had his shot at Phil and Ariz and proved he is an average starting QB at best -- Marrone gave him another chance to see if he could hold the job until EJ was comfortable or show something in practice and games that he didn't show in Ariz/Phil -- he hasn't shown that. In addition, EJ has shown that he is indeed comfortable and has the right mettle to sustain the ups and downs that await him as a rookie starter --- barring an injury, there is a 99% chance Manuel is named starter. I suspect that will happen on Wednesday this week.

It isn't close and heavily skewed in EJ's favor. Which is why the decision by Marrone to not name a starter is really pissing me off.

Eh. Why eliminate the competitive atmosphere now heading into Preseason Game #3, a game NFL teams tend to emphasize? Let's see how EJ handles the pressure. If I'm the coach, I'm going to start EJ come Week 1 regardless, but I don't necessarily need him to know that right now.

Naming a starter is a stupid process.

Why would Marrone or any coach in the NFL ever want to ever name a starter to the public?

What is the benefit to the team?

The people in OBD know EJ will start week 1 right now. Anyone paying attention knows EJ will start week 1.

Concern over naming the starter is absurd.

Whoever takes the first snap in the Skins game is the game 1 starter barring injury --- that person (which will be EJ) will play 1st half and the 1st series of the 2nd half --- 2 preseason games and 3+ weeks of practice is enough time to do a proper (and fair) evaluation --- EVERY TEAM (except 2 or 3) names their starters in game 3 of preseason to GET THEM READY --- game 4 (which is only 5 days after game 3), will be 2nd, 3rd and 4th teamers vying for roster spots -- starters will only play 1 or 2 series --- BTW, EJ's stat line after 2 games 26-33, 199 yards, 2 TD's and no INT's --- Marrone is no fool . . . EJ is ready --- not saying he'll "light it up" in regular season --- in fact, I fully expect a very up and down year --- but Marrone knows, QB's KILL HC's --- he needs a franchise guy and Kolb is NOT one --- EJ might be --- better to place his bets on something possible in EJ vs. something Impossible with Kolb --- if you don't buy that, call Chan and ask him how he liked tying his wagon to the Fitz-train

What you should be looking at is the difference between Kolb and Manuel. That was Manuel's first time trotting out onto a football field, not even at home, in the NFL. Kolb's been in the league for 6 prior seasons and has 21 NFL starts under his belt.

Kolb's stats yesterday were miserable with a YPA of barely more than 4. That's Holcomb/Edwards-like.

Your quoting stat lines without taking into account who the QB was playing against. the first 5 possessions the teams are playing against starters and some mix of starters and backups. EJs stat line in terms of YPA was worse during that period.

As for Kolb having more experience---his last game action was against Buffalo in early October so its been 10 months for him.

Did you watch either game?

I watched the first game...yesterday's I listened to it online and saw some action that NFLN showed.

I watched the first game...yesterday's I listened to it online and saw some action that NFLN showed.

This explains a lot.

Without watching the game, you couldn't see how different the team's energy and confidence was when EJ was on the field as opposed to Kolb.

You couldn't see the differences in their body language.

You couldn't see Kolb disagreeing with Lee Smith and Tashard Choice after incomplete passes.

You couldn't see EJ's "eye of the tiger."

Even the stat line which was overwhelmingly in favor of EJ doesn't begin to tell how much better EJ was than Kolb.

I still want to see how Kolb responds next week against the Skins. We got to see how EJ responded, and it's very encouraging to say the least, but I would want to see what Kolb does in a second game as well.

I'm sure EJ gets the nod, and that's good news. But if I was the coach, I'm not done looking at Kolb and I sure as hell am not naming a

Starter yet. The rest if the AFC east can suck it, they ain't gonna know until we're ready to tell them.

This explains a lot.

Without watching the game, you couldn't see how different the team's energy and confidence was when EJ was on the field as opposed to Kolb.

You couldn't see the differences in their body language.

You couldn't see Kolb disagreeing with Lee Smith and Tashard Choice after incomplete passes.

You couldn't see EJ's "eye of the tiger."

Even the stat line which was overwhelmingly in favor of EJ doesn't begin to tell how much better EJ was than Kolb.

NFL network showed the drive by EJ in its entirety. the full game airs tomorrow morning.

i want to see EJ do what he did against a #1 defense.

the stat line is buffered by playing against 2nd and 3rd level players.

Edited by djp14150

i want to see EJ do what he did against a #1 defense.

the stat line is buffered by playing against 2nd and 3rd level players.

On the other hand, when EJ was in the game there was not a single starter in the game for the Bills.

His running backs were Zach Brown and Tashard Choice. He had Lee Smith at tight end. His wide recievers were Brad Smith, Chris Hogan, DeMarco Sampson and Brandon Kauffman.

The offensive line was Thomas Welch, Legursky, Snow, Williams, and Sam Young.

It was very impressive.

Not according to Marrone and Hackett. Every quote I've seen of them indicated it was a dead heat and they were waiting for one of the two to "separate themselves". That may very well be happening as we speak, and that's exciting...but I have never seen anyone on the team actually say that EJ has been clearly better during practice/scrimmages.

ajzepp, my good man, that is the point. For Kolb to win and be named starter he would have to be vastly better than EJ at this point. If this thing is close at all, Kolb loses.

The way to do that is alternate the QB over the first 8-10 possessions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the team doesnt announce who the starting QB is thus forcing New England to plan for both

Couldn't disagree more with any of that. You name s starter and give him a chance to succeed.

Alternating possessions is no way to determine who the starter should be. At worst they would split quarters but with this being the third preseason game where the starters play into the third quarter I fully expect EJ to be named the starter sometime this week

The whole game planning for both thing is so overblown. Both QBs can run so what would be different in their game planning?

Edited by Max997

I'm tired of hearing this, "But Ej did it vs 3rd stringers."

Hey people, a bunch of bad qbs are struggling vs 3rd stringers. Just cuz I'm not trying to do homework right now, but just one quick example: Terrell Pryor of the Raiders had under 10 yards and I believe one interception. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Even Matt Cassel looked bad yesterday against 3rd stringers.

Ej's command and his choices are evidently speaking for themselves. I dont care if its vs 3rd string.

On the other hand, when EJ was in the game there was not a single starter in the game for the Bills.

His running backs were Zach Brown and Tashard Choice. He had Lee Smith at tight end. His wide recievers were Brad Smith, Chris Hogan, DeMarco Sampson and Brandon Kauffman.

The offensive line was Thomas Welch, Legursky, Snow, Williams, and Sam Young.

It was very impressive.

Nice point!