Leslie Frazier upset at Bills coaches

I highly doubt any preparation (ie film watching of opponent) was done by either team for the game. There simply isn't any time, or need (according to Frazier) for that in pre-season.

Frazier is right. There simply isn't time when you are evaluating 80 some players. That said, Pettine wasn't running much of anything "exotic" either. For instance, when Hughes got off the ball on the first snap last night, he simply beat his man one on one. Kahlil got his ass whipped man to man, as did several members of that OLine. I guarantee Frazier is more concerned about that than anything Pettine drew up which, again, didn't look too exotic from where I was sitting. But I only saw the first quarter, perhaps I need to re-evaluate when I review the game.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That strategy was used against Brady with pretty good success by the Giants. He does "eat aggressive, blitzing D's for lunch"...As long as they don't actually get to him. Brady does not want to take a hit......Ever. Once you start knocking him down or getting in his face the "S" falls right off his chest, and he suddenly becomes pretty average. He gets rattled and starts rushing his throws and tossing incompletes and INT's. You know your doing it right when he starts sulking and screaming at his O Line. I'd be a bit more concerned about this when we face guys like Big Ben, he takes the pressure as a challenge and still tries to make plays even though he knows he's going to get hit, kinda like Farve used to back in the day. When we face the Pats I'd be most concerned about our run D, he'll try to pick up easy 1st downs on the ground against our blitzes if our linebackers are not sharp.

+1

Taking nothing away from Welker and Gronk as they are very talented, but let's not confuse the issue: Brady made them, not the other way around. So far this pre-season, Brady hasn't had any trouble finding other "safety valves." And if his running game continues on the same trajectory as last season, it won't matter much who his receivers are because he's gonna make you pay when you adjust.

So, like always, the key to slowing Brady down will be to make him as uncomfortable as possible. He is seldom stopped. Even in those games we cite as examples of him being stopped, like the Giants SBs, he wasn't really stopped, just slowed down a bit. He just as easily could have won those games.

GO BILLS!!!

Eek I just watched the pats bucs highlights. Amendola reminds me of welker and tommy boy didn't look like the knee bothered him a bit.

No one said it was gonna be easy my friend. Something about when he starts pouting under pressure really makes my day!

Eek I just watched the pats bucs highlights. Amendola reminds me of welker and tommy boy didn't look like the knee bothered him a bit.

No one said it was gonna be easy my friend. Something about when he starts pouting under pressure really makes my day!

Oh yeah, that's the tell-tale sign. When he starts getting in the ear of his OLmen, it's fun to watch. My only point is that, like Marino, you almost have to concede the 300 plus yards. But I don't want to see ANY success for his running game and I need Brady to at least KNOW he's in a game. We've been his play toys far too often. He needs a punch in the mouth.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm excited about this D but week 1 has me worried. Brady eats aggressive, blitzing defenses for breakfast and belches up TDs at the end of his meal. Disguising where the rush is coming from is good but I'm not sure sending 5-7 guys is against him 70% of the time is.

Not really. Brady eats up agressive defenses who pretend to be attacking defenses when they're not.

TRUE aggressive defenses like the Giants beat them twice in the Super Bowl and make Brady look amateur.

We'll find out Week 1 which one we are.

I want the Bills to blitz Brady because he he has been carving the Bills passive D for years now. Payback is a mofo they say....

Even if he does get some plays off on us?? But those QB pressures is gonna have an effect on how he plays, he is not a mobile QB by any means anymore. Make him move around now and he wont just sitting back there calling us some Bitches during the game. ( Remember last year??)

I hope Petine blitzes Brady until he throws up. :D

I seem to remember that Brady hung 45 in a rout of Pettine-coached Jets D when they were trying to play Blitzomatic. As I recall, he killed them with short dump-offs to Welker and Gronk, who both turned 3 yrd passes into 10 routinely.

In the subsequent playoffs, Pettine turned it around and covered the middle of the field like a blanket. Just enough pressure to flush Brady - he got hit a lot, but mostly coverage sacks. And the Jets won.

Unpredictability, and the ability to succeed with multiple approaches, is the hallmark of a successful team.

Of course an unknown factor at this point is whether the Hoodie is right that NFL players are just FRUs (field-replacable units), or whether the loss of Welker, Gronk, Hernandez, and yeah, Branch will actually hinder them a bit. I think Amendola is an underrated player, but he isn't Welker. It will be very interesting to see how Manning-to-Welker plays out. One of the reasons Welker was Brady's favorite target was that he really mastered the playbook and the details of how Brady wanted him to run routes. Reportedly Payton Manning is just as picky, and Welker is working hard to get to the same place in the Broncs playbook.

Not really. Brady eats up agressive defenses who pretend to be attacking defenses when they're not.

TRUE aggressive defenses like the Giants beat them twice in the Super Bowl and make Brady look amateur.

We'll find out Week 1 which one we are.

This is tired. Brady was two plays away from winning both games.

The Giants made him work for everything which is a far cry from saying he looked amateur. That's just really overstating it.

GO BILLS!!!

Keep looking dude. There is absolutely nothing in that article from Gailey complaining about other teams in preseason.

It also indicates how coaches communicate differently. Gailey would never come out and flatly accuse the other team of game planning. But the subtext is there. Bills went into the games to evaluate rather than to evaluate and win. Why do you think there was pressure on him before the third preseason game, and he had to show that the starting offense was capable of executing a real drive against first stringers, and the same for defense?

Oh yeah, that's the tell-tale sign. When he starts getting in the ear of his OLmen, it's fun to watch. My only point is that, like Marino, you almost have to concede the 300 plus yards. But I don't want to see ANY success for his running game and I need Brady to at least KNOW he's in a game. We've been his play toys far too often. He needs a punch in the mouth.

GO BILLS!!!

Even more than hitting Brady - which doesn't happen all that much for he's without peer at quickly processing the play and getting rid of the ball before the rush can get to him - is disrupting the timing between him and his receivers. By far, the best way to accomplish this either jam his receivers and get them off their routes so they can't be where Brady expects them to be or you scheme defenses that confine the receivers to routes in congested, short areas, of the field where defenders can make plays (or prevent the Pats receivers from making big plays). Do this and the odds of slowing that Pats offense down goes up exponentially.

Despite the greatness of Brady with the new receivers in place it's quite possible this could be accomplished easier than in years past. However, if Brady's new guys keep playing like they have it might be more of the same for teams who try to defend that Pats offense. Especially so if they have found some skilled players who can stretch the perimeter and make plays deep thereby negating one of the defenses best weapons ..... clogging and congesting the short area game on them. I think Amendola's biggest gift to the Pats is he can actually make plays downfield, in addition to thriving in the Wes Welker role inside, something the Pats never got out of Wes. Saw this in last night's game on Amendola TD catch.

I highly doubt any preparation (ie film watching of opponent) was done by either team for the game. There simply isn't any time, or need (according to Frazier) for that in pre-season.

In that case Frazier hung his team out to dry and as a result, the game was less valuable to them than it could have been.

JMO.

In that case Frazier hung his team out to dry and as a result, the game was less valuable to them than it could have been.

JMO.

In that case then, most HC's hang their teams out to dry by not planning for their pre-season opponent as there simply isn't enough time during pre-season to spend it watching game film on a pre-season opponent.

I'm sure a valid counter argument could be made that, whatever little time is available during this time of the year, is much better spent watching film of ones own players than of other teams'.

Even more than hitting Brady - which doesn't happen all that much for he's without peer at quickly processing the play and getting rid of the ball before the rush can get to him - is disrupting the timing between him and his receivers. By far, the best way to accomplish this either jam his receivers and get them off their routes so they can't be where Brady expects them to be or you scheme defenses that confine the receivers to routes in congested, short areas, of the field where defenders can make plays (or prevent the Pats receivers from making big plays). Do this and the odds of slowing that Pats offense down goes up exponentially.

Despite the greatness of Brady with the new receivers in place it's quite possible this could be accomplished easier than in years past. However, if Brady's new guys keep playing like they have it might be more of the same for teams who try to defend that Pats offense. Especially so if they have found some skilled players who can stretch the perimeter and make plays deep thereby negating one of the defenses best weapons ..... clogging and congesting the short area game on them. I think Amendola's biggest gift to the Pats is he can actually make plays downfield, in addition to thriving in the Wes Welker role inside, something the Pats never got out of Wes. Saw this in last night's game on Amendola TD catch.

Agree entirely. And as trite as it may sound, you have to make Brady one-dimensional, which means NO RUNNING GAME ALLOWED. If we have any hope of playing the type of pass coverage you describe, we have to dictate that.

GO BILLS!!!

Agree entirely. And as trite as it may sound, you have to make Brady one-dimensional, which means NO RUNNING GAME ALLOWED. If we have any hope of playing the type of pass coverage you describe, we have to dictate that.

GO BILLS!!!

No doubt, If the Pats can run, as they did very well last year, it gives Brady 1 additional mismatch, in his already loaded arsenal; the ability to kill defenses with play action all day long. And, if the new guys can actually stress the opposing defense downfield this year, unlike in recent years, it'll be a monumental challenge to defend them in any way. It's probably easier to accept the fact that you'll have to simply try and outscore them.

I don't think that's how it happened as i think he backed out from interview when he thought he was only being interviewed for the Rooney rule

There should be penalties for backing out of interviews if you think it's only because of the rule.

In that case then, most HC's hang their teams out to dry by not planning for their pre-season opponent as there simply isn't enough time during pre-season to spend it watching game film on a pre-season opponent. I'm sure a valid counter argument could be made that, whatever little time is available during this time of the year, is much better spent watching film of ones own players than of other teams'.

I guess what I'm saying is that because Minnesota plays Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Seattle this year which are all pressure defenses that this is something the Vikings are gonna have to deal with anyways.

In addition I believe that you'll be seeing an increase in the amount of pressure defenses played in the NFL as well as an increase in the number of teams which run a no-huddle and/or uptempo offense with read-option and packaged plays.

So if these things are in your future, why take a conventional approach which (for one preseason game at least) prohibits you from making clear evaluations on many of your players? I think it's at least arguable that Frazier's conventional approach to this game hurt his team on several levels including confidence, and preparation for future opponents.

No doubt, If the Pats can run, as they did very well last year, it gives Brady 1 additional mismatch, in his already loaded arsenal; the ability to kill defenses with play action all day long. And, if the new guys can actually stress the opposing defense downfield this year, unlike in recent years, it'll be a monumental challenge to defend them in any way. It's probably easier to accept the fact that you'll have to simply try and outscore them.

I think you're overstating the case for New England's offense.

Yes, Brady will be superb. Yes, their O-line is young and improving and Yes, their running backs stable is very good.

On the negative ledger, they've lost 4 of their top 5 receivers from last year. Hernandez is gone and Gronk is questionable for the opener. Going from Welker to Amendola is a wash.

All things considered it's not a given that their offense will be as good or better than last year's edition.

I guess what I'm saying is that because Minnesota plays Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Seattle this year which are all pressure defenses that this is something the Vikings are gonna have to deal with anyways.

In addition I believe that you'll be seeing an increase in the amount of pressure defenses played in the NFL as well as an increase in the number of teams which run a no-huddle and/or uptempo offense with read-option and packaged plays.

So if these things are in your future, why take a conventional approach which (for one preseason game at least) prohibits you from making clear evaluations on many of your players? I think it's at least arguable that Frazier's conventional approach to this game hurt his team on several levels including confidence, and preparation for future opponents.

Yes, Brady will be superb. Yes, their O-line is young and improving and Yes, their running backs stable is very good.

On the negative ledger, they've lost 4 of their top 5 receivers from last year. Hernandez is gone and Gronk is questionable for the opener. Going from Welker to Amendola is a wash.

All things considered it's not a given that their offense will be as good or better than last year's edition.

True of course. And I know it's only pre-season, but so far they look like they haven't missed a beat. So, until proven otherwise, they are still Brady and the rest of the Patriots*.

GO BILLS!!!

Keep in mind that the starters play very little in pre-season games so would question how much value, what you are proposing, has.

I agree they are not very likely to be as good as last years version. Then again, that was an offense for the ages.