August 14, 2013 Battle for roles at DT getting tight

Nanker

Jay Ross has reportedly played extremely well in practice, so I can see him making the squad...battle for the last spot should come down to Branch, Troup, and Gilbert; I'm giving Gilbert the edge.

Me too. (oops edit!) Troupe and Gilbert IMHO

from what I saw in the game he finally looked like he was playing football. His heart. His effort were tops. He also played very well

You said you saw nothing from KW (from what you wrote on B in NYC's thread) and there was a reason for that, he only played 10 snaps (plus he IS coming back from off season surgery). I thought lambasting him so much (for not showing more) was sort of silly. I thought Troupe looked good the other day as well though. He is a big boy to move, Branch looked pedestrian and got ran over a few times. I think keeping him might be a mistake but the coaches see much more than we do.......so there is that.

Edited by bowery4

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bb.com Depth Chart lists both Troup and Gilbert as #96. The Roster page lists Troup #98 and Gilbert #96. I thought 96 played well Sunday

Troup is 98 and Gilbert is 96. I agree; Gilbert played very well last night as well, and I watched slow-mo of the running plays to see what was going on. Gilbert was helpful in stopping the run. Branch not so much.

I see Troup as having a monster year along with Blatnick. Factor in Carrington's increased playing time and production, Pettine's more aggressive system (had THREE players blitz from one side last night), and Mario/Kyle/Dareus being physically/mentally in a better place...Wow.

Jay Ross could be on the bubble, but he's also had a good camp.

Me too. (oops edit!) Troupe and Gilbert IMHO

You said you saw nothing from KW (from what you wrote on B in NYC's thread) and there was a reason for that, he only played 10 snaps (plus he IS coming back from off season surgery). I thought lambasting him so much (for not showing more) was sort of silly. I thought Troupe looked good the other day as well though. He is a big boy to move, Branch looked pedestrian and got ran over a few times. I think keeping him might be a mistake but the coaches see much more than we do.......so there is that.

that was to draw a negative on KW. More that I saw no difference whether he was in or not. The point was that the 2nd team guys either looked as good as the first or the first guys didn't play well. I am going 75% of the former and 25% latter. I am not afraid of what KW will or won't do. Just eager and impatient to see it be done

Too risky, IMO. If they keep troupe, I would hope they keep an extra dlinemen because I have no faith that troupe will make it through the season.

while i dont disagree, its a tough spot on the outside looking in to make any firm stance. hopefully the medical team can give an accurate assessment to the coaches and GM to make the call.

I see Troup as having a monster year along with Blatnick.

what would constitute a monster year?

that was to draw a negative on KW. More that I saw no difference whether he was in or not. The point was that the 2nd team guys either looked as good as the first or the first guys didn't play well. I am going 75% of the former and 25% latter. I am not afraid of what KW will or won't do. Just eager and impatient to see it be done

That's reasonable, so am I. Sort of doubt it will be much in Preseason except maybe game 3.

while i dont disagree, its a tough spot on the outside looking in to make any firm stance. hopefully the medical team can give an accurate assessment to the coaches and GM to make the call.

what would constitute a monster year?

a space eating NT like Troup. Someone want to link Bianca Wilforks stats at the Buffet today?

All jokes aside... more then a few batted passes. 3+ hurried QB's. A few sacks. And 50 assisted tackles. An NT hardly ever makes a solo tackle. But, I will always remember those ugly uniforms and Sam Adams being in there getting them.

All jokes aside... more then a few batted passes. 3+ hurried QB's. A few sacks. And 50 assisted tackles. An NT hardly ever makes a solo tackle. But, I will always remember those ugly uniforms and Sam Adams being in there getting them.

it just stuck out to me as a tough phrase for a couple of depth players. i know its harder to define for a NT than an OLB candidate... but even at their highest projections for this year they both look like rotational/depth players to me. i was curious if astro was projecting a straight up dominating season, or maybe more along the lines of solid role player.

My guess is that the starting 3 in a 3/4 are M. Williams DE , Dareus NT and Carrington DE, Kyle Williams is first off the bench at NT/DE and DT if switching to a 4/3 and will be in as many snaps as the starters, Jarron Gilbert will get snaps at both DE spots - then we will get one or two spots fought over by Troup, Ross, Branch, Bryant and Cross

it just stuck out to me as a tough phrase for a couple of depth players. i know its harder to define for a NT than an OLB candidate... but even at their highest projections for this year they both look like rotational/depth players to me. i was curious if astro was projecting a straight up dominating season, or maybe more along the lines of solid role player.

Troup will be first in when Louis Nix is gassed.

Seriously, Troup is likely first in when Dareus needs a breather. I don't see a true NT on our club, nor do I know for sure if Pettine believes in NT in his style of defense.

Edited by Astrobot

Whoever comes in, if it is like we think, a machine gun in your face all out attack on your OL... then Troup or whomever will definitly benefit. I do not want the same player as Dareus or Williams. I do not want a Wilfork. I want a guy who can physically dominate with strength to keep his foe weak so a freshened Dareus or Williams can come with their speed and strength to beat him. Carrying a bag of potatoes and then having to carry a bag of fertilizer over and over will wear you down.

25% of the snaps...in 12 games. Let me thunk. 35 plays on average? For him...9 plays a game. 108 plays a season.

2 hurries would be good. 30 asstd tackles. 3 sacks too much? 2 batted down passes?

Tried to watch Troup a bit on Sunday...Looked to me like he was running in quicksand...No quickness at all to his game...Just a plugger and nothing more...Rooting for the kid though...

Gilbert did impress me, though he's on the light side for this bunch...And I'm not sure what they will be looking for in the back-ups...But it seemed to me that Gilbert was getting the most consistent pressure...

Who knows... B-)

Not knowing the defensive scheme or call for the game but Troup looked very explosive & powerful coming off the ball. At the P.O.A. he was pushing the OL 2-3 yds off the L.O.S., that's something I rarely saw from any of our D-lineman on a consistent basis...great job of coaching by the assistant coaches, IMO.