Last year SJ, this year Byrd and Levitre

zazie

Last off-season, we were at a real risk to lose SJ, because the FO had not extended him THE SUMMER BEFORE.

This year, we LOST Levitre and currently do not have the services of Byrd, when most teams and common sense both, say we should have extended them LAST SUMMER.

I tend to think most guys want to sign long term extensions for decent pay prior to risking the career ender. Our FO never seems cognizant of that, strangely. in NE guys like Hernandez get extended plenty early!

Last time I remember the Bills doing so prudently was with Kyle.

Who should we extend this year, NOW, while we still can? Every game that goes by it becomes less urgent for players to extend vis a vis risk injury and get out via free agency.

When is CJs contract up? Gilmore we still have some time. Anyone else?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not so much our front offices lack of making quality offers and attempting to retain players...its more the fact that players dont want to be in Buffalo. The city doesnt have much to offer and the organization is the bottom of the barrel. they Franchised Byrd...giving him an average salary of the top payed players at his positon and he still wants more....levitres contract was very hefty...he was a good reliable guard but he wasnt a complete stud. Are we better off without him? no but there are more important players then a LG to spend big money on.

Everytime they extend someone really early, that player ends up crapping out after the new contract or has a nasty injury. See pears and fitz for starters. Imo, it doesn't matter if they do it now or later. I don't think Byrd would have signed an extension a year ago, and same with levitre. Only way they sign at that time is by overpaying

Everytime they extend someone really early, that player ends up crapping out after the new contract or has a nasty injury. See pears and fitz for starters. Imo, it doesn't matter if they do it now or later. I don't think Byrd would have signed an extension a year ago, and same with levitre. Only way they sign at that time is by overpaying

I am reasonably confident, they did not make a real effort last off season. Any NFLer has to take early extension offers VERY seriously, it is not about how many Applebees tehre are around, it is about getting the signing bonus secure before risking another season of injury.

I'd give money to wood and carrington right now, or at least make the effort to.

Wood seems like the type of guy who likes buffalo and is committed to the new staff. Yes he has his injury woes but he provides leadership and stability to the line. To lose him a year after Levitre would hurt.

I think Carrington is in for a big year and after 12 he showed how useful he can be as a rotational player, not to mention his ability to block kicks. Not looking at a cap buster here - decent signing bonus should get this done.

Buffalo can't afford to develop guys and let them walk for nothing. Takes two to make a deal but Whaley should be busting his ass to make this happen. I'm skeptical they are making much of an effort.

I have to agree - of the many issues and weaknesses of this organization - IN THE PAST - one of the most frustrating was the inability to SEE talent, and to secure that talent EARLY. We've seen too many lousy players get GOOD contracts (Kelsay), and too many GOOD players let walk. However, I'm hoping this NEW Bills team will do things differently, and Carrington and Wood are good players to start that with!

I'd like to see the "metrics" (or whatever its properly called) on the players before I chime in.

And since its probably a closely guarded secret, both in methodology and in results, we'll probably never know whether its smart, dumb, or in between when they sign or dont sign some guy.

I gotta think that part of the Levitre issue was injury issues, and part was replaceability, and part was the value of that position.

For Byrd, I dont know his health issues, if any. But value of the position is a big factor. Not counting FB or LS, which are silly, I think S is probably and correctly considered the least valuable position after RB. And the Bills seem to have drafted some gamers in the past couple of seasons, signalling that they are fine with not tying up huge dollars at the S position.

And as an aside, I know Safeties are supposed to be more valuable if they can cover tight ends. But I wonder how the Gronk injuries and Hernandez issues have decreased Byrd's leverage. Who else in the division do we need to pay top dollar for a Safety to cover???

"We'll keep drafting young studs, paying the rookie minimums, and we'll only lock up the next Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu or Ronnie Lott. If you arent one of those, and you turn up your nose at our idea of a fair offer, let the doorknob hitcha"

And frankly, I'm okay with that. Until and unless we are 1-2 players away from a Super Bowl, AND our safety is somehow one of those players.

Edited by maddenboy

Last off-season, we were at a real risk to lose SJ, because the FO had not extended him THE SUMMER BEFORE.

This year, we LOST Levitre and currently do not have the services of Byrd, when most teams and common sense both, say we should have extended them LAST SUMMER.

I tend to think most guys want to sign long term extensions for decent pay prior to risking the career ender. Our FO never seems cognizant of that, strangely. in NE guys like Hernandez get extended plenty early!

Last time I remember the Bills doing so prudently was with Kyle.

Who should we extend this year, NOW, while we still can? Every game that goes by it becomes less urgent for players to extend vis a vis risk injury and get out via free agency.

When is CJs contract up? Gilmore we still have some time. Anyone else?

That's OK, they'll spend more money on players like Mario, Anderson, Dockery, Tripplett, and Fitzpatrick.

No need to be alarmed here.

Besides, Nix is gone and all is well.

:D

Wood should be locked up now.

I don't want to hear any of you OBD apologists say "Wood is good but not dominant."

1.) EJ is building a relationship with him at Center now. No need to cause a change next year.

2.) We had one of the best C-LT combos in the league last year. Why get worse and let the C and LG walk in consecutive years?

3.) He is a team vet and respected in the locker room.

4.) You got tons of cap space.

Go Bills

Edited by Why So Serious?

IIRC, as early as last offseason there were rumblings that Levitre had intended to test the market. I think Byrd may have as well. It's much easier to extend players like Kelsay who already realize the market isn't likely to yield more than what they're being extended for. Not the case here. Apples and oranges. Players won't be interested in a Bills' hometown discount until they're good enough to contend for a ring. As much as it sucks as a fan of a football team, it's what almost anyone would do in their situation.

I'd give money to wood and carrington right now, or at least make the effort to.

Wood seems like the type of guy who likes buffalo and is committed to the new staff. Yes he has his injury woes but he provides leadership and stability to the line. To lose him a year after Levitre would hurt.

I think Carrington is in for a big year and after 12 he showed how useful he can be as a rotational player, not to mention his ability to block kicks. Not looking at a cap buster here - decent signing bonus should get this done.

Buffalo can't afford to develop guys and let them walk for nothing. Takes two to make a deal but Whaley should be busting his ass to make this happen. I'm skeptical they are making much of an effort.

Carrington = Byrd's agent = gone

Wow Hernandez was a great example to use in this case.

Wow Hernandez was a great example to use in this case.

Glad you liked it!

Carrington = Byrd's agent = gone

If we made even a half decent offer to Carrington now he would sign it. He is no star by any means and no guarantee he becomes one this season. Question is whether we want to in any event.

Wood should be locked up now.

I don't want to hear any of you OBD apologists say "Wood is good but not dominant."

1.) EJ is building a relationship with him at Center now. No need to cause a change next year.

2.) We had one of the best C-LT combos in the league last year. Why get worse and let the C and LG walk in consecutive years?

3.) He is a team vet and respected in the locker room.

4.) You got tons of cap space.

Go Bills

You raise a good point about Wood and Manuel. That said, I want Carrington to stay just as much. He is entering his prime, and the blocked kicks and passes are huge.

Btw, Branden seems to be piling up dead cap space for 2014. Is this to avoid spending real dollars? I hope not, but it is suspicious.

You raise a good point about Wood and Manuel. That said, I want Carrington to stay just as much. He is entering his prime, and the blocked kicks and passes are huge.

Btw, Branden seems to be piling up dead cap space for 2014. Is this to avoid spending real dollars? I hope not, but it is suspicious.

Maybe it is early and I still have pancakes on the brain, but could you rephrase or explain this one?

Stability? Wood has yet to play 16 games in a season. In fact, every other year (odd years--uh oh!), he doesn't last past 10 games. Let's see how he does this year before they "lock up" a Center with big money.

Maybe it is early and I still have pancakes on the brain, but could you rephrase or explain this one?

I believe what Bill is referring to is the baffling decisions by this front office to push cap hits onto the 2014 books, when we have enough cap space right now to take all the hits and clear our books. Example: What was the point of pushing a 7 million cap hit for Fitz into 2014 when we are carting 20 mil in cap space right now? They could have taken all the hit for Fitz's contract this year and had that much more to spend next season. Same deal with Mark Anderson.

Its frustrating and stupefying, really. Its as if they're intentionally handicapping themselves for next year.

Edited by Ramius